User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 52

  1. #11
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Well, I can't disagree that it's pretty much an option for every man, but I don't believe it's a right, no.
    How is it not one's right?

    Are you honestly telling me that I do not, or should not, have the right to choose to end my life if the life I happen to be living is one of excruciating pain?

    That's messed up dude, and highly insensitive.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

  2. #12
    More human than human MetalWounds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    TP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 6sticks View Post
    It already is.
    x2

    Who's stopping you? No one.
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive

  3. #13
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    Alrighty...

    What say you on assisted suicide?

    I am whole-heartedly for it, anyone against?
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

  4. #14
    More human than human MetalWounds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    TP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Well, the only issue you really run into is whether or not that individual is competent to make that decision. (Since in fact they are incapable of killing themselves and obviously incapacitated to a certain degree, cognitive alertness would be an issue here) You could stipulate something like that in a will, similar to a D.N.R., but then you make it a legal and medicinal concern. That's an entire extra can of worms.

    Do I think it should be...let's say "not illegal"? Why not? I don't really have any moral qualms about it, hey it's your life. But something like that would be highly unlikely to be implemented in a predominantly religious voting community such as the USA, which I think is probably your point here.
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MetalWounds View Post
    Do I think it should be...let's say "not illegal"? Why not? I don't really have any moral qualms about it, hey it's your life. But something like that would be highly unlikely to be implemented in a predominantly religious voting community such as the USA, which I think is probably your point here.
    No, no, you run into the "mob mentality" there. People who are thinking about suicide will justify their decision because someone else is willing to do it for them. They convince themselves it's not a terrible idea. Quite unconsciously.

  6. #16
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    No, no, you run into the "mob mentality" there. People who are thinking about suicide will justify their decision because someone else is willing to do it for them. They convince themselves it's not a terrible idea. Quite unconsciously.
    Huzzah-what?!?!?!

    "Mob mentality"

    How?

    "People who are thinking about suicide will justify their decision because someone else is willing to do it for them"

    Uh, no!

    "They convince themselves it's not a terrible idea. Quite unconsciously."

    HUH!?!?!?!?
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    [post]
    Yeah. Ever heard of Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold? Most, including myself, think neither would have done a damn thing if left to his own devices. Instead, they each thought "since my buddy doesn't think it's a bad idea either, hell with it, let's do it."

    If someone's willing to kill you, it's one less obstacle on your way to deciding to do it. "It must be OK if Dr. Kervorkian says he'll take me out."

  8. #18
    More human than human MetalWounds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    TP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    No, no, you run into the "mob mentality" there. People who are thinking about suicide will justify their decision because someone else is willing to do it for them. They convince themselves it's not a terrible idea. Quite unconsciously.
    The issue here being assisted suicide, it will less be people merely thinking about suicide (because their dog got killed/got fired/dumped) , and more people who are living in agony or severely impeded by some sort of aillment (in most cases, however, it would be applicable to all citizens). As long as they come to a rational decision on their own terms, is that not valid? We all use external data to help us make decisions, this isn't really any different.

    In fact, being assisted, they would have to go through many more steps than simply loading a .45 and applying it to the forehead. Giving people time to really weigh the severity and finality of the situation.
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MetalWounds View Post
    The issue here being assisted suicide, it will less be people merely thinking about suicide (because their dog got killed/got fired/dumped) , and more people who are living in agony or severely impeded by some sort of aillment (in most cases, however, it would be applicable to all citizens). As long as they come to a rational decision on their own terms, is that not valid? We all use external data to help us make decisions, this isn't really any different.
    I'm morally OK with euthanasia in very extreme circumstances. I was discussing generalities; No one brought euthanasia up yet (or at least I wasn't thinking about JUST euthanasia).

  10. #20
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Yeah. Ever heard of Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold? Most, including myself, think neither would have done a damn thing if left to his own devices. Instead, they each thought "since my buddy doesn't think it's a bad idea either, hell with it, let's do it."

    If someone's willing to kill you, it's one less obstacle on your way to deciding to do it. "It must be OK if Dr. Kervorkian says he'll take me out."
    I do not know about, or of, these two people you speak of, but from your assessment of them, their deaths seem quite fitting seeing how of all issues to buckle on peer pressure, these numbskulls chose to succumb to their deaths because so and so said it was ok, lol!

    Mr. Flak, do you not realize that the will to live is a deeply ingrained biological instinct?

    *Most* people desire *not* to die but there are those few, who in extenuating circumstances, find themselves in a grave predicament wherein which their continued existence would only stand to afford them continued exposure to a magnitude of suffering so great, that for them, the option of death seems and becomes, quite rationally, the better choice.

    Quote Originally Posted by MetalWounds View Post
    The issue here being assisted suicide, it will less be people merely thinking about suicide (because their dog got killed/got fired/dumped) , and more people who are living in agony or severely impeded by some sort of aillment (in most cases, however, it would be applicable to all citizens). As long as they come to a rational decision on their own terms, is that not valid? We all use external data to help us make decisions, this isn't really any different.

    In fact, being assisted, they would have to go through many more steps than simply loading a .45 and applying it to the forehead. Giving people time to really weigh the severity and finality of the situation.
    Excellent post!
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

Similar Threads

  1. To be or not to be a psychopath?
    By SolitaryWalker in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 144
    Last Post: 07-28-2013, 02:17 AM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-08-2010, 01:47 PM
  3. To Be or Not to Be...That is the Question!!
    By Winds of Thor in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-11-2009, 05:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO