User Tag List

First 41213141516 Last

Results 131 to 140 of 177

  1. #131
    Senior Member Enyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    xNTJ
    Posts
    443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Ugh. I hate that mentality so much.
    I should clarify that I am a parent. And you're right, parasite isn't the best word.

    Maybe a symbiont? But then, that's too gentle of a word. *shrugs* Something that requires certain things of your body in order to continue its own existence. For example, if mom doesn't get enough calcium, baby can leech it from her. That seems rather... parasitic.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

  2. #132
    Senior Member Enyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    xNTJ
    Posts
    443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    You know the feeling you get in your guts when you notice a less-intelligent-than-yourself-haughty-pseudo-intellectual condescend to someone? *that*


    I think that says it all.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

  3. #133
    Senior Member Enyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    xNTJ
    Posts
    443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    I never said it ought to be fully developed. Only to a certain degree. Normal development at age 2 is far enough. So far you made no argument.
    It's an arbitrary determination.

    You're determining what degree is sufficient. Why not go whole hog and insist that it be fully developed?

    After all, you had previously said:

    Is your premise with regard to demarcation between human agents and non-human agents different from mine? If so, what is it?
    So I offered you one.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

  4. #134
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
    It's an arbitrary determination.

    You're determining what degree is sufficient. Why not go whole hog and insist that it be fully developed?

    After all, you had previously said:



    So I offered you one.
    It is not artbitrary because there are objective methods of determing one's cognitive ability. There is a difference between seeing the world analytical, or from an intellectual standpoint, and merely acting on impulse. One becomes human whenever he begins to clearly achieve the former. Likely at 2 years old. This is when children are able to speak in full sentences and memorize the basic entities of their observations.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  5. #135
    Senior Member Enyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    xNTJ
    Posts
    443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Why shouldnt daddy go to jail for killing the 1 month old baby? What reasons can you give for this other than your vulgar prejudice?
    Read what is written. I had said "diddling". As in "molesting". What reasons can you give for not reading what was there, rather than your own desire to see someone argue with you so that you can pretend to be superior?

    You're so in love with your own words that anyone who disagrees with your premise is "emotional" or "vulgar". It reminds me of one of those children who aren't human under your premise, stomping their feet and saying "BUT I WANT IT!"
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

  6. #136
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
    Read what is written. I had said "diddling". As in "molesting". What reasons can you give for not reading what was there, rather than your own desire to see someone argue with you so that you can pretend to be superior?

    You're so in love with your own words that anyone who disagrees with your premise is "emotional" or "vulgar". It reminds me of one of those children who aren't human under your premise, stomping their feet and saying "BUT I WANT IT!"
    So, why should the father go to jail for molesting, killing, mutilating, whatever, his 1 month old baby? Its really petty detail which of these he does as the bottom line question is whether or not he has the right to harm that entity in a significant way. (All of which represent this).

    Any reasons?


    Quote Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
    It reminds me of one of those children who aren't human under your premise, stomping their feet and saying "BUT I WANT IT!"
    But lets face it here.. !

    I am giving rational explanations for my views and you're just throwing a tantrum in response like a child.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  7. #137
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
    It's an arbitrary determination.
    I keep telling him that...
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  8. #138
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I keep telling him that...
    With only vulgar prejudice to back that up.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  9. #139
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    It is not artbitrary because there are objective methods of determing one's cognitive ability. There is a difference between seeing the world analytical, or from an intellectual standpoint, and merely acting on impulse. One becomes human whenever he begins to clearly achieve the former. Likely at 2 years old. This is when children are able to speak in full sentences and memorize the basic entities of their observations.
    Do you ever actually listen to what you say?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  10. #140
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Do you ever actually listen to what you say?
    You're a one smart cookie my illustrious sir! :steam:

    I want you to know that I have always admired your perceptive abilities and analytical rigor that you pierce right through problems with!

    Keep up the good work.

    Humbly yours,

    BW.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Similar Threads

  1. Legality of Infanticide
    By Beorn in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-19-2015, 02:00 PM
  2. Type based on choice of historical quotes.
    By Jack Flak in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-25-2009, 08:41 PM
  3. on Philosophy of Education
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 11-20-2008, 06:12 PM
  4. [ENTP] On: Overassessment of entp savvy
    By entropie in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-27-2008, 08:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO