User Tag List

First 23456 Last

ThatGirl

You referenced to people being irrational, how is that so if they are not activly trying to persuade people? In what situations do you base your arguments because the the OP while consistant to a point is circumstantial.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    You referenced to people being irrational, how is that so if they are not activly trying to persuade people? In what situations do you base your arguments because the the OP while consistant to a point is circumstantial.
    The principle established was not circumstancial but that of human nature by and large.

I do not ask why certain people at a certain time behave irrationally. I ask, with all things considered, what is the underlying cause of irrational behavior?
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

ThatGirl

Well by your deffinition of rational behavior I would say that you severly limited yourself to those who go through life with the consious decision to prove something

I dont believe this is the majority

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Well by your deffinition of rational behavior I would say that you severly limited yourself to those who go through life with the consious decision to prove something

I dont believe this is the majority
    Prove something? Now I am completely lost...I thought you got the point that the term 'persuasion' in relevance to argument was only a convenience of communication. Rationality in itself has little to do with this, read my previous reply to you.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    No, non-human animals do not consciously hold maxims. However, their mindset could be described in terms of ethical maxims, primarily lack thereof.

The most animal like human would be the one who is coarse and unreflective. Who simply acts on whim. This without a doubt is a reflection of his ethic. In this respect animals do have 'maxims'.
    Fine. I think I better understand what you mean.

ThatGirl

Prove something? Now I am completely lost...I thought you got the point that the term 'persuasion' in relevance to argument was only a convenience of communication. Rationality in itself has little to do with this, read my previous reply to you.
    That is why I asked you to define rationality. How do you gauge what is or is not rational via behavior.

I understand your post I am wondering where the deduction came from.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

That is why I asked you to define rationality. How do you gauge what is or is not rational via behavior.

I understand your post I am wondering where the deduction came from.
    Rational is to be defined as logically consistent and founded on premises that could be observed in the external world. One need not make arguments to be rational. It would be helpful however if they did, as this way we can clearly see if they are being rational or not as their views would be out in the open for us to observe.

ThatGirl

Ok so since....... my argument is this, there is no irrational behavior because that which makes sense is subjective to individual perception. In order to constitute what is irrational behavior one must first define the context of irrationality or the social norm. The argument is too broad. Without defining what the behavior is, there is no way to tell why one thing causes all specific reaction. If that was your intention then I dissagree with your argument. Or rather that your argument could have the word irrational replaced with any other given discription of behavior in order to render the statement a well defined argument.

I was trying to narrow it down

Self affirmation and misscommunication is not the cause of irrational behavior it is the cause of almost all behavior.

Perception, interpretation, and reaction

That is a rational process.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Ok so since....... my argument is this, there is no irrational behavior because that which makes sense is subjective to individual perception. In order to constitute what is irrational behavior one must first define the context of irrationality or the social norm. The argument is too broad. Without defining what the behavior is, there is no way to tell why one thing causes all specific reaction. If that was your intention then I dissagree with your argument. Or rather that your argument could have the word irrational replaced with any other given discription of behavior in order to render the statement a well defined argument.

I was trying to narrow it down

Self affirmation and misscommunication is not the cause of irrational behavior it is the cause of almost all behavior.

Perception, interpretation, and reaction

That is a rational process.
    My point was, if people organized their thoughts rationally, they would make less mistakes.

Irrational behavior however is as follows. When someone wishes to carry out a plan, and their strategy for doing so either contains contradictory propositions or their premises are founded on notions that cannot be accepted as accurate.

On this note there is indeed irrational behavior as obviously there are people who hold erroneous notions as a result of errors in reasoning.

ThatGirl

My point was, if people organized their thoughts rationally, they would make less mistakes.

Irrational behavior however is as follows. When someone wishes to carry out a plan, and their strategy for doing so either contains contradictory propositions or their premises are founded on notions that cannot be accepted as accurate.

On this note there is indeed irrational behavior as obviously there are people who hold erroneous notions as a result of errors in reasoning.
    And again rationality is subjective to motivation, purpose, and interpretation.

Some of the greatest achievements have been made through trial and error.

It is in such boxes that reason losses all meaning.