User Tag List

First 1422232425 Last

I've come to realize as a nonbeliever that I no longer need to amass reasons why I shouldn't believe. All I need to do is demand evidence, and discern whether or not the evidence being presented is viable. The burden of proof is not on the nonbelievers' side, we shouldn't have to prove that something doesn't exist, we should just assume that it doesn't exist until we have reason to believe that it does. Being a defensive-nonbeliever will be a lot less work than being an offensive-nonbeliever.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    I've come to realize as a nonbeliever that I no longer need to amass reasons why I shouldn't believe. All I need to do is demand evidence, and discern whether or not the evidence being presented is viable.
    You don't need that even, and it does no good. Trust me, you'll be happier if you evade the debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    You don't need that even, and it does no good. Trust me, you'll be happier if you evade the debate.
    For the sake of knowledge, it is worth it to me if one person's mind could be freed through debate. If one theist was willing to present their evidence to me, and would listen with open-ears to my feedback, and came to understand the logical flaws of their evidence, and had their eyes opened to a whole new reality, that is worth 100% of the effort used on all the failed attempts on other theists. It would give me hope for the future of humanity, an optimism that is hard to come by with justification. Sometimes a pessimist has to hope for something :/

Banned
    MBTI
    type

For the sake of knowledge, it is worth it to me if one person's mind could be freed through debate. If one theist was willing to present their evidence to me, and would listen with open-ears to my feedback, and came to understand the logical flaws of their evidence, and had their eyes opened to a whole new reality, that is worth 100% of the effort used on all the failed attempts on other theists. It would give me hope for the future of humanity.
    The only reason I'll debate someone's dogma today is to silence them, or paint them as foolish to an audience. And be careful with that, because some people have the kind of essence you don't want to mess with, however illogical it may be.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

I've come to realize as a nonbeliever that I no longer need to amass reasons why I shouldn't believe. All I need to do is demand evidence, and discern whether or not the evidence being presented is viable. The burden of proof is not on the nonbelievers' side, we shouldn't have to prove that something doesn't exist, we should just assume that it doesn't exist until we have reason to believe that it does. Being a defensive-nonbeliever will be a lot less work than being an offensive-nonbeliever.
    You are absolutely correct.

There is no evidence in favor of a deity. Hence, every theistic argument amounts to one of the following:

- an attack on theories for which there is some evidence
    - an attack on ration itself
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    My point being that for people that are truly religious, happiness isn't about the "l'alternance" you speak of. Supposedly, anyway.
    And what a good point it is.

As Christians for instance are enjoined to pick up their Cross and follow Christ.

While Muslims are enjoined to jihad and martyrdom.

So you are quite right - for the truly religious, it is not about happiness, particularly a happiness like l'alternance.

In fact l'alternance is the idea of two French psychiatrists in a small book by the same name. Or perhaps the book is called, "The Secret of Happiness".

And it is not religion that seeks happiness but rather your Constitution which enjoins us to the pursuit of happiness.

And perhaps it is not the happiness that matters, but the pursuit.

Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Agree. God (as you've defined it) is a self-contradicting concept.
    INFJ who reslies only on logic????? ummm strange...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Darya View Post
    INFJ who reslies only on logic????? ummm strange...
    I don't rely only on logic, just heavily.

It seems to be pretty common.

Edit: holy crap that was from like 4 years ago.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

God is irrefutably a living being of great power as we can see his manifestations and expressions of his will all throughout the granduer of creation in each and every one of its infinite forms.

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    God is irrefutably a living being of great power as we can see his manifestations and expressions of his will all throughout the granduer of creation in each and every one of its infinite forms.
    How does a stone bespeak god's will?