User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is the nature of life?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • All good - badness is just a mentality

0 0%
  • More good than bad - painful things are just anomalies

0 0%
  • Equal parts good and bad - the two balance each other out

5 62.50%
  • More bad than good - we spemd 99% of our lives being miserable, but that 1% of goodness is worth t

3 37.50%
  • All bad - the good things are just illusions and lies, everyone is out to hurt you.

0 0%
123 Last

Senior Member ThaumaturgicTheorist's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9? sp

Default What is life, really?

The result of my over thinking, but still.

Okay, I has a thing to do, so I put off a more detailed explanation of the choices:

Okay, maybe I can elaborate on the choices:

All good: the stereotypical, "cupcakes and rainbows " childish outlook, that personally, I don't think even children have. Doesn't need a whole lot of explanation.

More good than bad: Optimism in a general sense. Finding the food in most situations, being idealistic and wanting to make the world better. Believes people are ultimately good or at least non-malicious.

Neutral: Speaks for itself, though it could lead a person to either indifference or action.

More bad than good: Caution, cynicism, and pessimism. Someone who's distrustful of people and projects, extremely aware of the suffering and strife that goes on in the world and how bad people can be and seems to either defend themselves or play along.

All bad: Humans are evil, everything is wrong and doomed to failure, everything will be bad forever. Every good thing you might encounter in your life is a lie, everyone who shows you kindness is just manipulating you for their own selfish gain, and it's the fate of every idealist (or hell, anyone with a shred of decency) to be broken, have their dreams crushed beyond repair, and mature into seeing the world realistically through shit-colored glasses. Anyone who can look upon the horror that is reality and not come out hateful and cynical is either severely deluded, or hopelessly stupid.

Damn American Cowboy Reborn Relic's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I would need a bit more description to answer this, since the question "what is life" could be referring to our purpose in it, or what makes something alive as opposed to not alive, or what makes something human or humanlike as opposed to not. Among other things.

So...which meaning are you using for this question?

Aaaaaand I didn't read the poll. Hold on. XD

I don't think there's a single correct answer to this. Different people have lives of different qualities, depending on who they are and what's happening to them. My guess is that if you don't put a strong value on certain things regardless of the pain or pleasure they create, a lot of suffering is in the mind, though, so the way you're going to justify an objective reading about whether life is suffering or not probably would have to involve assuming that minds can't be altered much, which is...I guess true for some people today.

On a semi-related note, I think that to a certain extent, everyone wants to be someplace better than they were before. To develop and grow, and that sometimes they create identities around certain goals of development and growth that become difficult or impossible to achieve. it can become difficult to abandon those goals if you're someone like me, for instance, because they sort of feed you and make you who you are in more ways than just having them--they can feed into your interests, intellect, and all of that, but other people seem to have an easier time changing. Ironically it's probably easier with a stronger set of emotions and sense of self, because everything around that will have a harder time fading away. XD So something that may work for a suffering person is to find something that feeds their interests, intellect and so on that isn't what they're after now, but rather is achievable given their current environment and characteristics.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick."

--Theodore Roosevelt

“Be careful, lest in casting out your demon you exorcise the best thing in you.”

--Friedrich Nietzche

I have a Johari again

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I would like the option "life's indifferent".

It depends on so many things wether life's good or bad to you. Impossible to put into a rule that goes for everyone. The only certainty is that it will not be 100% good or 100% bad for anyone. Or maybe the latter even goes for some folks who got handed really bad cards.
    "I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the fuck is this garbage?’ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers" ~ Nick Cave
    Likes five sounds, Hawthorne liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    541 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj Ne

Term inputs do not compute.
    Ti = Ne > Ni > Si > Te = Fi > Se > Fe
    5w4 - 4w3 - 1w9
    Chaotic-True Neutral.

My Socionics test result: http://www.sociotype.com/tests/resul....V8bh7vuL.dpuf
    Likes meowington liked this post

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by meowington View Post
    I would like the option "life's indifferent".

It depends on so many things wether life's good or bad to you. Impossible to put into a rule that goes for everyone. The only certainty is that it will not be 100% good or 100% bad for anyone. Or maybe the latter even goes for some folks who got handed really bad cards.
    This.

It's chaos down here and life's gonna give it to you like DMX in some way or another, both with fortune and tragedy.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.
    Likes Hawthorne, meowington liked this post

MBTI
    STP

Life is what you make of it. You cant define a changing and adapting environment by a single static definition.
    Im out, its been fun
    Likes Fate, RobinSkye liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A None

"Advance, and never halt, for advancing is perfection. Advance and do not fear the thorns in the path, for they draw only corrupt blood."
    -Kahlil Gibran

What are you waiting for?
    Johari
    Nohari
    Likes Poki liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A None

anyway, why is this is a poll. You cant fit this question in a poll.
    "Advance, and never halt, for advancing is perfection. Advance and do not fear the thorns in the path, for they draw only corrupt blood."
    -Kahlil Gibran

What are you waiting for?
    Johari
    Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Life isn't good and/or bad, it inceptualizes good and bad. Rocks and cosmic particles don't care about shit.
    Likes RobinSkye, /DG/ liked this post

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

A lot of life is what you make of it and how you perceive it. That said, I think it's a huge disservice to people if they grow up thinking it's possible for everything to be sunshiney, because it's not. It's also a huge disservice if one grows up thinking nothing is sunshiney. It's something in the middle.

There can be good things in many things. I don't think some people know how to see that. Basically, if you're looking for the negative, you can find it, and if you're looking for the positive, that's there too.

This is all spoken from a perspective of someone having the ability to choose, though. For those in third world countries or who are born into a culture where all one can focus on is survival, it will be a much harder burden. Though......those with choice have the potential burden of existential issues, so there's that.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ