User Tag List

123 Last

Default Non-Vegan Animal Sympathizers

I use "animal sympathizers" for lack of a better term. How do you deal with the cognitive dissonance caused by eating meat, or do you even have any? Do you simply draw a distinction between your pets that you consider family and the animals you eat? Do you see it as a moral issue at all or is it simply a matter of satisfying your own animalistic appetite, despite whatever sympathy you may have for other animals?

I haven't chosen to live a vegan lifestyle, mainly for health reasons, though I haven't done a great deal of research on the subject either. I am skeptical that if humans were to stop eating meat (which will never happen anyway) that it would have an overall positive impact on the environment. Still, I find the idea of killing a living being, for reasons other than survival, a bit unsettling. This is why I'm looking forward to an expanding market of in vitro meat to minimize the mistreatment and slaughter of animals for human consumption. Even if that becomes a reality, however, I imagine that a lot of additional measures would have to be taken in order to keep certain animal populations under control. Unfortunately, in many cases, over-population is dealt with by killing animals en-masse, which would ultimately defeat the purpose of not killing them for food.

Thoughts?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Stop eating meat unless you're OK with accelerating the very near demise of the planet. You asshole!

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSE Si

Quote Originally Posted by ZNP-TBA View Post
    Stop eating meat unless you're OK with accelerating the very near demise of the planet. You asshole!
    Attachment 16188

Okay so here is why if we all stopped eating meat, the [inevitable] demise of earth would be come upon us sinful meat eating savages quicker.

That image is of a food chain. Notice how there are more plants and herbivores than carnivores? The carnivores eat the herbivores. Let's say we removed carnivores from the chain. What would happen? Well there would be a lot more herbivores. Too many herbivores. There wouldn't be enough plants to feed all those herbivores. The earth would run out of plants.

This will result in two major, dire consequences.

A) Competition will mean a lot of species dying out. If we all held hands and sung songs and only ate salads, we could be one of the unlucky species that dies out.

B) After all that competition, there won't be anymore oxygen. Plants make oxygen. No more plants means no air.

So chill it with the illogical thinking. Cows and chickens are nice and don't deserve to be put into slaughter houses and blah, blah, blah, but not eating meat isn't going to solve anything. Instead of calling people asshole on personality forums, support people who treat their animals well. Eat meat that is from natural farms. Get educated. Learn how to better your environment! Start a garden, drink water from companies that aren't based in water starved places (#NestleIsEvil), convert to more ecofriendly forms of energy! Ignorance is no longer an excuse. Educate yourself and then make the world a better place.
    MBTI: Te = Ne > Se = Si > Ni = Fi > Fe > Ti
    Enneagram: 2w3 - 8w7 - 7w8 (The Humanitarian) | sx/so/sp
    Zodiac: Aries-Taurus Cusp Sun, Scorpio Moon, Scorpio Rising
    Holland Code: Enterprising > Social > Artistic = Conventional = Investigative > Realistic
    Temperaments: Sanguine = Choleric > Melancholic > Phlegmatic
    Potter House: Slytherin
    Social Media: Tumblr · Private Blog · Twitter

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by sarcasmsunshine View Post
    Attachment 16188

Ignorance is no longer an excuse. Educate yourself and then make the world a better place.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Crabs View Post
    I use "animal sympathizers" for lack of a better term. How do you deal with the cognitive dissonance caused by eating meat, or do you even have any? Do you simply draw a distinction between your pets that you consider family and the animals you eat? Do you see it as a moral issue at all or is it simply a matter of satisfying your own animalistic appetite, despite whatever sympathy you may have for other animals?

I haven't chosen to live a vegan lifestyle, mainly for health reasons, though I haven't done a great deal of research on the subject either. I am skeptical that if humans were to stop eating meat (which will never happen anyway) that it would have an overall positive impact on the environment. Still, I find the idea of killing a living being, for reasons other than survival, a bit unsettling. This is why I'm looking forward to an expanding market of in vitro meat to minimize the mistreatment and slaughter of animals for human consumption. Even if that becomes a reality, however, I imagine that a lot of additional measures would have to be taken in order to keep certain animal populations under control. Unfortunately, in many cases, over-population is dealt with by killing animals en-masse, which would ultimately defeat the purpose of not killing them for food.

Thoughts?

This isn't an either/or situation. I'm not going to eat my cat, because I have formed a bond between that animal and myself.

Is my pet any different than a cow? Not really. In some parts of the world they don't make exceptions.

But I don't have a cow as a pet. I haven't come home and hugged my cow after a bad day. If I did, maybe I wouldn't kill THAT cow but I may have no trouble killing another for consumption as it is a preferred food source. (#NotAllCows) It doesn't mean I hate cows or enjoy killing. It just means that there are certain realities in life. One of those is that as a human being, I am at the top of the food chain. Other animals kill and eat other animals. Why would I demonize this? It just seems natural to me.

If someone decides that they will not eat animals because of this, I totally understand that and that is fine by me. It's not my thing. I like the taste of meat. Saying that, it doesn't mean humans cannot be smarter about conservation of resources and making informed and better decisions about how much they eat. They should also have ethical treatments and care for these animals that are food sources.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance
    Likes ZNP-TBA, cascadeco, Punderstorm liked this post

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    This isn't an either/or situation. I'm not going to eat my cat, because I have formed a bond between that animal and myself.

Is my pet any different than a cow? Not really. In some parts of the world they don't make exceptions.

But I don't have a cow as a pet. I haven't come home and hugged my cow after a bad day. If I did, maybe I wouldn't kill THAT cow but I may have no trouble killing another for consumption as it is a preferred food source. (#NotAllCows) It doesn't mean I hate cows or enjoy killing. It just means that there are certain realities in life. One of those is that as a human being, I am at the top of the food chain. Other animals kill and eat other animals. Why would I demonize this? It just seems natural to me.

If someone decides that they will not eat animals because of this, I totally understand that and that is fine by me. It's not my thing. I like the taste of meat. Saying that, it doesn't mean humans cannot be smarter about conservation of resources and making informed and better decisions about how much they eat. They should also have ethical treatments and care for these animals that are food sources.
    Pretty much this. And I'll echo death occurring across all levels of the food chain. The majestic hawk wouldn't exist if it didn't brutally kill the mouse or snake. The lion killing the gazelle and putting it through a slow death. etc And especially humane treatment of the animals we do eat. As humans, we, unlike all the other consumers in the food chain, have the ability to cushion the pain and living factor in the animals we eat.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Plus, even vegetation is "life" as much as some random cow. What is lower on the food chain is still on the food chain. So vegans kill life to live as much as anyone else...... a soy burger still has death attached to it, just a different form.

I will keep my omnivore status. I do want to minimize my processed food, but that is another issue.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so
    Likes ZNP-TBA liked this post

The killing itself doesn't bother me per se. The way in which in industrial farms it's done is horrifyingly inhumane though. I genuinely feel terrible about participating in that. I'm not vegan and not even vegetarian strictly speaking but I do feel a measure of guilt each time I partake so I try to limit it to the best of my capacity.

Cows and chickens and the like are domesticated animals so I don't think they're suddenly going to take over the world if we cut back on eating them. If we cut back on eating them, we'll cut back on breeding them. Seems simple enough.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Even though it's more pricey ( but also more tasty) I buy free range.
    Likes senza tema liked this post

Damn American Cowboy Reborn Relic's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by sarcasmsunshine View Post
    Attachment 16188

Okay so here is why if we all stopped eating meat, the [inevitable] demise of earth would be come upon us sinful meat eating savages quicker.

That image is of a food chain. Notice how there are more plants and herbivores than carnivores? The carnivores eat the herbivores. Let's say we removed carnivores from the chain. What would happen? Well there would be a lot more herbivores. Too many herbivores. There wouldn't be enough plants to feed all those herbivores. The earth would run out of plants.

This will result in two major, dire consequences.

A) Competition will mean a lot of species dying out. If we all held hands and sung songs and only ate salads, we could be one of the unlucky species that dies out.

B) After all that competition, there won't be anymore oxygen. Plants make oxygen. No more plants means no air.

So chill it with the illogical thinking. Cows and chickens are nice and don't deserve to be put into slaughter houses and blah, blah, blah, but not eating meat isn't going to solve anything. Instead of calling people asshole on personality forums, support people who treat their animals well. Eat meat that is from natural farms. Get educated. Learn how to better your environment! Start a garden, drink water from companies that aren't based in water starved places (#NestleIsEvil), convert to more ecofriendly forms of energy! Ignorance is no longer an excuse. Educate yourself and then make the world a better place.
    As someone that is a vegan and at least planning to do a bit more outside of internet forums with my life, I'm going to have to take exception to the false dichotomy here. Just because predation is a form of population control does not make it the form of population control, and given the degree to which we can mess with the lives of animals on farms, I'm sure we can find a way to at least separate breeding populations when we need to. I don't claim to have the exact method, but that's what R&D is for, honestly. You think everything we've built was finished in a day?

Although, to be honest, I'm fine with there being some meat eating still going on in certain contexts, for people that can't stay healthy on a vegan diet and as a supplemental form of population control for times when other means don't work out. The thing is, that's way outpaced by what we do eat, not by virtue of treatment but by virtue of numbers.

And this took a grand total of 5 minutes to post, so I'll have plenty of time to make the world a better place, I think.

A'ight, done with the derail. I vill let you all chatter.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick."

--Theodore Roosevelt

“Be careful, lest in casting out your demon you exorcise the best thing in you.”

--Friedrich Nietzche

I have a Johari again