123 Last

Default This Monkey is Better at Philosophy than New Atheists

Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it
    Likes Punderstorm liked this post

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

It's about predictive capabilities in assumed reality based on the scientific basal assumptions.

The main assumption being that models which have a predictive capability are more useful than those which don't, essentially you could say it's about scoring more reality points. The real problem always lies with those who don't stop to consider and instead turn an ideology (religiously based or not) into a wall with which to block dissenting opinion.

The issue isn't new atheism, it's the rise (or maybe just a more noticeable resurgence) of what I call a 'cutting' mindset, those who aggressively snip off all information that doesn't fit with their worldview, without hesitation.

That rigidity represents a narrowing of perspective and the more we cut out in service of our views and the less broad our information becomes, the smaller our potential future becomes and we stagnate. This is what is happening right now and we're moving towards a species of tautology.

PS: There are limits to empiricism, but that doesn't automatically make other assumptions true either. Hence why philosophy is considered the mother of science.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

Yes, the transcendental analytic.

I think the little monkey is deeply discrediting the amount of work that has gone into his little monkey brain.
    tiny purple fishes run laughing through your fingers
    and you want to take her with you, to the hard land of the winter
    Likes The Wailing Specter, Punderstorm liked this post

This monkey is better at mastering the Japanese train system than I am! He obviously believes in dog, but not sure about his religious beliefs...

Stay curious.
    IF THIS IS HEAVEN THEN I'M BAILING OUT
    Likes meowington, Bush Did 9/11 liked this post

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

I just skimmed over a monkey raping a cat thanks to this thread, and wow. Like I needed that remembrance on the vile nature of our creator's original sin.
    tiny purple fishes run laughing through your fingers
    and you want to take her with you, to the hard land of the winter
    Likes Grand Admiral Crunch liked this post

MBTI
    STP

But if you took five bananas ate 3 and counted 4 it would be an act of god, not realizing what you thought was three is actually one. You were just taught wrong.

Wanna play philosophy...
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Cellmold View Post
    It's about predictive capabilities in assumed reality based on the scientific basal assumptions.

The main assumption being that models which have a predictive capability are more useful than those which don't, essentially you could say it's about scoring more reality points. The real problem always lies with those who don't stop to consider and instead turn an ideology (religiously based or not) into a wall with which to block dissenting opinion.

The issue isn't new atheism, it's the rise (or maybe just a more noticeable resurgence) of what I call a 'cutting' mindset, those who aggressively snip off all information that doesn't fit with their worldview, without hesitation.

That rigidity represents a narrowing of perspective and the more we cut out in service of our views and the less broad our information becomes, the smaller our potential future becomes and we stagnate. This is what is happening right now and we're moving towards a species of tautology.

PS: There are limits to empiricism, but that doesn't automatically make other assumptions true either. Hence why philosophy is considered the mother of science.
    Isnt this what most religious people do as well? It can be abstracted beyond religion into a bigger bucket that contains aethiesm. Same mindset, just arguing over which details are true based on belief. Which is what makes it funny as hell, the arguing of the blindness over being able to see bananas and fingers as if that even matters in the world. Same with "aethiesm"...it doesnt matter. Focus on values, they stand above and beyond religion and aethiesm.

i swear the monkey is smarter then both religious people and aethiesm as a whole.

I watched a video once...undeniable logic to stump an aethest. The barber didnt believe in god and said, if god is real how come people go hungry. The religious person went outside saw a guy with no hair cut, just crazy tangled mess. Walks in and says, i dont believe in barbers, because if they existed then this guy would have a hair cut. BAM i told you. Except how many people tirn to god and still starve and die a painful death...but that doesnt count, its been rationalized away as a self defense mechanism...so...BAM, undisputable logic.

I have no issues with someone believing in god, i really have no clue...but it doesnt mean people have to be stupid about it. My GF says she should have died in her car wreck. She shoipd have bled out before the ambulances even arrived. She says God kept her alive. Ok, sounds fine to me. I dont care enough to dig in further and i dont even know if i would find an answer if i did dig into the why. I am pretty sure there is a reason, but i also have no issue other then blindness which i am aware of that it may as well be God. No issue ith being proven wrong...i am after truth at the end of the day, not to prove what i believe.
    Im out, its been fun

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poki View Post
    Isnt this what most religious people do as well? It can be abstracted beyond religion into a bigger bucket that contains aethiesm. Same mindset, just arguing over which details are true based on belief. Which is what makes it funny as hell, the arguing of the blindness over being able to see bananas and fingers as if that even matters in the world. Same with "aethiesm"...it doesnt matter. Focus on values, they stand above and beyond religion and aethiesm.

i swear the monkey is smarter then both religious people and aethiesm as a whole.
    That was...er...my point? It's part of a larger issue that applies to people and has it's roots in trying to apply narrow, specific mental realms to what is actually a very broad spectrum of information.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Cellmold View Post
    That was...er...my point? It's part of a larger issue that applies to people and has it's roots in trying to apply narrow, specific mental realms to what is actually a very broad spectrum of information.
    Had to clarify, dont want these narrowing mindset people running off about this being the issue with aethiests. i didnt see religious in the post
    Im out, its been fun