• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is the soul in the epiphypis?

Mustafa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
The idea that the body and mind are separate goes back to the old greeks and Platon, but it was first Rene Descartes whom first in 1600 (Enlightenment age) described prcisely the difference between body and mind. And is the mind and soul in the epiphysis? In your opinion?

I've got a book on this so I am wondering.

For me the soul is the conscience, which is dead at the westerns because we are externally controlled via the police. So...there is no conscience and no soul, unless you find a way to channel your energies in lawful way. Maybe.

Peace

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
I think it was an arbitrary choice, but a good guess given that a person only has one soul. You have one epiphysis, therefore the soul goes there. It's gotta be the perfect storm of ignorance and enlightenment thinking. See, they got to the point where they no longer figured the heart did all the thinking. No, they were enlightened past that, but still believed in souls. So you look elsewhere. Is it the brain that holds the soul? Well, maybe. Remember, by the 17th century anatomy was far more advanced as a science and we could deduce a nervous system existed and had some idea of how it worked. But here's the problem: your nervous system isn't a structure, it's two structures pretty much all the way down and all the way up. You've got spinal tracts going to your left arm, and spinal tracts going to the right arm. Follow them up all the way past the medulla and you'll still end up with two structures, two hemispheres. But the pineal gland was unique, because you don't have two halves of a pineal gland. It's just one thing. So obviously the soul has to sit there, right?

I believe that our biological states give rise to our more ephemeral experience of consciousness that transcends those states themselves if only briefly, transitionally, impermanently. Think of it like a hologram. The image you see does not exist on the surface from which it arises.

Mustafa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Soul is related to breath, the thing that makes a distinction between dead objects and living things animals and humans. In Islam, Christianity and Judaism. And also as i accidentally know in China and their understanding of Qi. This is a theory related to all the ancient world, about the soul being connected to the breath. Living things not dead things.

In Islam a man is an animal. The only difference between man and animal is that man can speak.

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
The soul is a result of platonic thought, or that there is pure representation of static objects in nature, as one would think a rabbit is a rabbit is a rabbit, when in fact a rabbit is a transitory phenomenon independent of the noumenal concept of a rabbit. Even the singular rabbit, a phenomenal slice of space-time encompassing that which is a long haired nose wrinkling hopping mammal, is a slave to its past (or bound to its fate, whichever).

By this, there is no one phenomenal facet of reality which is represented purely on a plane higher than existence in itself.

The soul lives in the conditioned mind.

Mustafa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
You are a jedi, so you can believe that, but many want to believe God in the unknown wathes over them. There is a certain comfort in that, i find relief when i mention the name Allah. It is like breathing out: Allahhhhhh.....

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
IDK. What happens when you cut out someone's pineal gland? Do they become soulless? Do redheads not have any pineal glands??? OMG, so many questions.

I'll go sit in a corner now and let you people be serious.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is the soul in the epiphypis? Well, if it is, alligators and hagfish have no souls.

Nearly all vertebrate species possess a pineal gland. The most important exception is the hagfish, which is often thought of as the most primitive extant vertebrate. Even in the hagfish, however, there may be a "pineal equivalent" structure in the dorsal diencephalon. The lancelet Branchiostoma lanceolatum, the nearest existing relative to vertebrates, also lacks a recognizable pineal gland. The lamprey (considered almost as primitive as the hagfish), however, does possess one. A few more developed vertebrates, including the alligator, lack pineal glands because they have been lost over the course of evolution.

pineal gland - Wikipedia

Ps : I want my time back.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Soul is related to breath, the thing that makes a distinction between dead objects and living things animals and humans.

Not all living things breathe by taking a breath. That requires a respiratory system and lungs. So does any living thing without lungs count as having a soul to you? Trees are living and don't even breath oxygen.

Mustafa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Not all living things breathe by taking a breath. That requires a respiratory system and lungs. So does any living thing without lungs count as having a soul to you? Trees are living and don't even breath oxygen.
This theory is ancient, they didn't know about bacteria. Anyway, i kill and sometimes play with bacteria, i couldn't kill something breathing. Although i accidentally killed a kitten when young. Horrible.

iNtrovert

MBTI Type
Ni
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This theory is ancient, they didn't know about bacteria. Anyway, i kill and sometimes play with bacteria, i couldn't kill something breathing. Although i accidentally killed a kitten when young. Horrible.

Reading through this thread trying to figure out how best to explain my reasoning from a Christians point of view your response defiantly brought something to my remembrance.
In that I believe that God is what determines the value of a soul; He says that all souls belong to him. Ezekiel 18:4. He specifically speaks of his personal investment of the Human soul but why? If we regard God as the supreme creator we can look to the account of creation and see the significance and the value of human life is dependent on his image breath of life.

Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Genesis 2:7 And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

No other living thing was created in such a way. He first formed Man in his image and in his likeness and then he gave man the breath of life directly found in him. I believe it is in that image and that breath that we find our souls. This is to say that, apart from our physicality our souls exist as a sprit derived from the image (meaning the likeness) and the breath of God himself. It is through that image and that breath that the soul of mankind is distinguished from all other creation not the physical body. So I would conclude as a Christian that our souls cannot be found within our physicality as we were physically formed from the material, the dust of this world. Just like all of creation is of the physical world we have a certain physicality. The distinction of the Soul is not made through our physicality but it is the metaphysical impartation of the image and the breath we received from God himself. I’d have to say this is account or distinction of the human soul is completely consistent with the way we as people live and experience life.

iNtrovert

MBTI Type
Ni
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For me the soul is the conscience, which is dead at the westerns because we are externally controlled via the police. So...there is no conscience and no soul, unless you find a way to channel your energies in lawful way. Maybe.

Where do you believe the conscience comes from?

Mustafa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Where do you believe the conscience comes from?
I believe it is a concept of the old, like honor also. It is found not at those who have reached homeostasis. Rather it is found at strugglers, whom constantly seeks the truth or to survive, it is found at undomesticated ones, wild ones ... In a natural way. How? I don't know. In Islam, we are speaking animals.

Islam teaches mostly we go through 3 levels in life, suprisingly like modern psychology say.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nafs#Three_principal_stages

The word nafs is usually translated as self or psyche. Its etymology is rooted in "breath" (similar to Biblical or Kabbalistic nefesh) and is common to virtually all archaic psychologies where the act of breathing was connected with life, animating otherwise lifeless object. In this respect, ancient notions of "Prana" in Hinduism, Greek "pneuma", Latin "spiritus" or Hebrew "Ruach" -all equate the basic visible process of breathing with energizing principle that confers existence to an individual human being. Some Sufis consider under the term "Nafs" the entirety of psychological processes, encompassing whole mental, emotional and volitional life; however, the majority of Quranic-based Sufis are of the opinion that Nafs is a "lower", egotistical and passionate human nature ...