• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Should we have unisex locker rooms and bathrooms?

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Do you think society should do away with gender and sex bathrooms? Should we all share the same bathroom and locker room regardless of gender?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think it would be better to start introducing third bathrooms that are gender neutral, but leaving the male/female ones for people who are uncomfortable with that. However that would be a problem for previously existing building that only have two bathrooms.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I am curious from the answer from other posters who don't place an empathizes on gender.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I am curious from the answer from other posters who don't place an empathizes on gender.

I am not trying to be rude so don't be upset but... how do you talk about something that is inherently gendered (bathrooms/locker rooms) without emphasizing gender?

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It depends. I think changing rooms/locker rooms are fine because usually they have cubicles. But actual bathrooms should remain separate for obvious reasons. I don't mind the way they are separated today though.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Well, what would you suggest we place emphasis on when talking about bathrooms? Blowers or paper towels to dry your hands? And isn't there a ginormous bathroom idiocy thread already?

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I want a bathroom system based on a random number generator that randomly switches the gender as you are in it based on what number pops up on the generator (we can take from the list of many genders for this and maybe invent a few more), while a separate random number clock generator randomly switches the time between switches.

People will be too stressed to worry about gender and instead worry about such situations as shitting in a urinal that suddenly appeared, to pissing into a hole in the ground and finding yourself on someone else's lap at unfortunate times.

And so on....

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, I don't want unisex bathrooms. Other women piss all over the toilet seats enough as it is. :dry:

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As a woman, I would feel pretty uncomfortable getting dressed in front of a bunch of strange men in a closed room. I don't mind being naked or in my undies around women, but the idea of doing that in a room of men I don't know sounds actually dangerous to me.

I think it would be cool if we had a gender neutral option, but going on the gender binary infrastructure we have now, I trust others to feel similarly to me in that they'll naturally go into the one where they feel most comfortable.

Also going in to use the men's room to pee has never bothered me (besides the fact that they usually stink like piss way more). I wouldn't mind a respectable dude in the ladies room either.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It would be weird for most already socialized people to get used to. I'm not sure the best way to introduce it. But it is ultimately something that I think should be in place.

Zangetshumody

MBTI Type
INTJ
It would be weird for most already socialized people to get used to. I'm not sure the best way to introduce it. But it is ultimately something that I think should be in place.

I agree, that if this was something that could be integrated into culture it would be a wonderfully progressive thing, my reasoning goes like this:

It would force people to learn and tolerate biological reality, smashing the strangely concocted pedestals of conforming to pristine and unrealistic conceptualizations about the opposite gender.

Even if this cannot ever become a thing, the thought experiment itself is worthy to be shared: what would men come to think about woman if this were the cultural norm of shared experiences, and how might that instill a more down-to-earth framework for relations between the sexes. I think it instills a certain maturity and realism into inter-gender-relations that is only unsettling because of deep mystical attachments and their correlative insecurities that are the edifice to the current cultural state of surreal idealism surrounding the dominant images of some illusory gender identity our culture (of gendered segregation with the untoward influences of advertising) has breed for us.

It is also worthy to point out, that marketing industries, and various other forms of 'propaganda' have startling effects on psychology, the indifference shown by our political class in the way the public has been made subject to subtle forms of terror applied to the individual's psyche, can be all be undone by reorganizing social practices in a innovative and starkly-novel way (because then our surroundings don't match up to the insecurities that marketing must attach its force of promotion onto)[therefore displacing the entire appearance to the game that 'gender' offers all its prospective participants, breaks the programming for the system of problem-solution dilemma's that have been completely co-opted by commercial forces for the purposes of economic power at great cost to the Public Good]. In this way, reordering something as fundamental as gender conceptualization is a way to hack out of the matrix of marketing-narrative-thought control: which is a system for persuasive-moral-high-grounding shared by most other sources of a narrative thinking in our society:- Institutional narratives, Public relations spin-doctoring etc.

The Scriptures themselves offer a similar mechanism to escape falling prey to rhetorical force that any physical objectivism falls prone to: you are not a man, the man is merely the temple, you are not part of this world, you are a Son of God (that is to say, your spirit that abides with the flesh).

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I don't think our muslim friends would approve. As for me, I'm fine with whatever decision the business owner decides. I always do my business early morning so I can avoid using the disgusting public toilets.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it sounds like a terrible idea, I can't imagine all of the gawking and looking that would go on with unisex locker rooms, at any age, but specifically am recalling junior high and high school P.E. class/locker rooms. *shudders at thought of unisex, was bad enough with same sex*

Mustafa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
It would be distracting, in gyms for example. Spirituality teaches modesty, and like being shy, it would be revolutionary and awkward. People fucking in the showers, and others are too ugly for being integrated.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
As far as changing room/showers go, I have experience with excessively creepy voyeurs and I think that going full on unisex with this would only perpetuate this, if not lead to dangerous circumstances on occasion. It's not that women are inherently less creepy...it's that straight people are more common and therefore these women are less likely to sneak a peek.

I do like the idea of a third option though. Idk.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't have a problem with it, personally but whatever it will probably never happen due to the amount people (mostly women, lets not lie) who have a problem due to the way society tends to portray men as would-be predators(or at least most predators as being men). Then again, people shouldn't be forced to do something they feel uncomfortable doing, but I do think people who feel uncomfortable should ask themselves why they feel that way, and if its legitimate or not.