User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    (I've heard something like this before, and it's the sort of argument that I really, really hate for arguing a sort of political point.)
    The point I was making was that when you whore your image to promote a political agenda, you don't deserve the courtesy (and it is a courtesy) of people looking beyond that to try and look at your personal qualities.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    I knew who they were, just figured I'd use a different answer to undercut the example, since i really, really don't like arguments involving Hitler comparisons that get thrown out all the time.
    Wether or not a comparison is overused has nothing to do with its validity. I can't tell you how many times I've seen the following conversation on the show House, but it's still valid:

House: The symptoms tell us something. What does 2+2 equal?

Foreman: Well we've ruled out this disease.

House: Great. So 2+2 does not equal 97.

Foreman: But it can't possibly be that disease or the other one either.

House: So 2+2 doesn't equal 12 or 45 either. I'll go tell the family we've made a major breakthrough.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    The point I was making was that when you whore your image to promote a political agenda, you don't deserve the courtesy (and it is a courtesy) of people looking beyond that to try and look at your personal qualities.
    Brendan, huh??? I'm not getting your point. Or I'm confused by your vehemence.

Hitler also liked dogs. And he was polite in public; it was only in private that he sat back and cackled while he hung people with piano wire. I would, however, say that a lust for slaughter is a personal quality, whether carried out as public policy or in the privacy of one's home.

While Falwell (and Hitler) may have had some good human qualities, what they did was ultimately destructive. I don't think you are disagreeing with that, right?

What exactly are you disagreeing with, other than the aptness or tastefulness or overuse of Hitler as an example?

(Pssst... I think 2+2=97 in a short time if you have hamsters)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
    -- Unknown

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I don't think that Brendan was disagreeing; rather, someone else was disagreeing with Brendan's use of Hitler as an example as a little too extreme.

But the part of Brendan's post(s) you quoted is the part I understand:

Falwell portrayed himself in extreme and harsh terms publicly in order to get his political agenda implemented (he "whored" his image), so even if he was a better human being in private, no one is obliged to consider him in that private light and is totally justified to view him as he wanted to publicly portray himself.

That is the cost of potentially misrepresenting yourself in the name of your agenda.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Crabapple View Post
    Brendan, huh??? I'm not getting your point. Or I'm confused by your vehemence.

Hitler also liked dogs. And he was polite in public; it was only in private that he sat back and cackled while he hung people with piano wire. I would, however, say that a lust for slaughter is a personal quality, whether carried out as public policy or in the privacy of one's home.

While Falwell (and Hitler) may have had some good human qualities, what they did was ultimately destructive. I don't think you are disagreeing with that, right?

What exactly are you disagreeing with, other than the aptness or tastefulness or overuse of Hitler as an example?

(Pssst... I think 2+2=97 in a short time if you have hamsters)
    Yeah. I meant what Jennifer said.

P.S.- ROFL at the hamster allusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I don't think that Brendan was disagreeing; rather, someone else was disagreeing with Brendan's use of Hitler as an example as a little too extreme.

But the part of Brendan's post(s) you quoted is the part I understand:

Falwell portrayed himself in extreme and harsh terms publicly in order to get his political agenda implemented (he "whored" his image), so even if he was a better human being in private, no one is obliged to consider him in that private light and is totally justified to view him as he wanted to publicly portray himself.

That is the cost of potentially misrepresenting yourself in the name of your agenda.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    Wether or not a comparison is overused has nothing to do with its validity. I can't tell you how many times I've seen the following conversation on the show House, but it's still valid:
    Using a comparison to Hitler is an overused method of trying to make a point, and relies a lot on the "I hate hitler" emotions. The point is a good one, but a better method could easily have been used ot argue it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

People are brainwashed by the media to hate Hitler.

For some reason, no one can get past the whole genocide thing. And to me, that makes people quite shallow.

MBTI
    INFJ

Totally

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    People are brainwashed by the media to hate Hitler.

For some reason, no one can get past the whole genocide thing. And to me, that makes people quite shallow.
    Holy Moley! LOL!:yim_rolling_on_the_

Um... Are you serious???? I think I must , cuz I checked out your MySpace. You are serious, aren't you? Well........

No disrespect, but admiring Hitler won't win you Brownie points with most people.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
    -- Unknown

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

... admiring Hitler won't win you Brownie points with most people.
    Hitler makes me happy... because he's dead.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Totally

Holy Moley! LOL!:yim_rolling_on_the_

Um... Are you serious???? I think I must , cuz I checked out your MySpace. You are serious, aren't you? Well........

No disrespect, but admiring Hitler won't win you Brownie points with most people.
    I actually neither support nor condemn it. But if something doesn't involve me, I don't see any reason why I should care.