• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Solitary Life

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Life and God have funneled me into this place whereby I feel myself desiring to live the life of a Solitary. Some other terms are hermit, recluse, anchorite, anchoress, monk, and nun.

It is subtle for me. Ever since my separation almost 6 years ago, I have felt myself wanting to either go inside a cave and pray, or walk off across the earth on a quest for God. Most people tell you that this is not healthy, that we must live among people, interacting with them or it is a sign we have a serious problem that should not be fostered.

But I disagree. I think this is a good and healthy position. And people in ancient times and the middle ages did this quite often, and were highly respected for it. I don't believe it is for everyone. I don't believe it is to be used to escape from the world or problems. I don't believe it looks the same from one person to the next. But I do believe that if one finds herself approaching this place, that it is okay to allow it to happen.

What do y'all think? I'm really interested in hearing about if any of you have chosen a solitary life purposefully, and how it is going for you. I am biased toward being a solitary for spiritual and religious reasons, but I am open to hearing anyone's experience independent of religion.

Today was my first official trip as a Solitary. I purposefully set off alone and had this experience alone; drove, hiked, fished, almost-swam (too cold!), sunbathed, and reflected.

[

[
My little secluded beach

Mustafa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
As long as you got 'security' you can do anything. Wearing a headscarf is a way of being alone, in a populated Area. That said muslim don't practise celibacy.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't think this is "unhealthy" at all. I have taken solo camping trips for example to get more in touch with myself and God. Many of the great mystics, prophets, and just simple monks or nuns have taken this much further into a life of quiet and/or celibacy - though some are more social and some more reclusive, as per their individual personality and calling. Mother Teresa for example was extremely social despite her choice to be a nun, while there are plenty of people who take vows and stay out of the world.

It may just be a phase of growth, something you need to do for a while.

There are people who actively walk the earth alone, who are not necessarily "religious" nor celibate. There is a very interesting man in The Art of Walking who walks, hikes, camps, draws/paints and journals on various continents and has apparently done so for at least twenty years, though he also goes home. I would guess though his reasons are more spiritual still, while not being religious, since he apparently stopped talking temporarily in his late 20s.

I'm not sure of your exact age, or if this is a generation thing, but I don't see anything off at all on traveling or going out into nature alone. In and of itself it doesn't make you a recluse.

Duffy

Solitude helps cultivate identity. I have annoying social media-y people in my life that needs a good dose of this.

Though, everything in moderation.

Mole

Permabanned
I don't think this is "unhealthy" at all. I have taken solo camping trips for example to get more in touch with myself and God. Many of the great mystics, prophets, and just simple monks or nuns have taken this much further into a life of quiet and/or celibacy - though some are more social and some more reclusive, as per their individual personality and calling. Mother Teresa for example was extremely social despite her choice to be a nun, while there are plenty of people who take vows and stay out of the world.

It may just be a phase of growth, something you need to do for a while.

There are people who actively walk the earth alone, who are not necessarily "religious" nor celibate. There is a very interesting man in The Art of Walking who walks, hikes, camps, draws/paints and journals on various continents and has apparently done so for at least twenty years, though he also goes home. I would guess though his reasons are more spiritual still, while not being religious, since he apparently stopped talking temporarily in his late 20s.

I'm not sure of your exact age, or if this is a generation thing, but I don't see anything off at all on traveling or going out into nature alone. In and of itself it doesn't make you a recluse.

Yes, and there is the difference between solitude and loneliness.

Loneliness can be emotionally painful and debilitating, while solitude can reveal our true self and show us the world around us.

Kheledon

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you find peace and serenity, who of us has the right to criticize?

Christ took off into the desert for a good while before coming back to be what he became. Nothing lasts forever. I have never chosen a solitary life (though I have taken solo vacations of the kind you took recently), but I may one day. Who knows? For the moment, however, I have responsibilities to people I cherish, and those responsibilities don't allow me that option at present. That doesn't bother me, though. I'll take commitment and obligation over freedom any day, but that's just me. To each one's own.

Peace. :hug: