• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How can a benevolent God stand for the existance of a hell with eternal suffering?

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To know that the God of The Holy Bible exists is easy. The sentence 'the God of The holy Bible exists' is true, if and only if, the God of The Holy Bible exists. That is, if someone thinks that the sentence 'the God of The Holy Bible exists' is true and it actually corresponds to the facts (or accurately describes reality), then that someone knows that the God of The Holy Bible exists. Nothing else matters.

The traditional definitions of 'knowledge' have surprisingly little to do with the facts or the truth, and can be safely ommitted without important consequence. There is no practical difference between conjecturing, "knowing", or even pretending that an idea is true. A person who "knows" that a sentence is true is not going to be any more successful than a person who conjectures the same, and so even if such "knowledge" is attainable, it doesn't do anything.

In some cases, where "knowledge" does not gaurantee truth, a true conjecture is superior to false knowledge i.e. you would rather not know and be right, than know and be wrong.

wait a minute! :D

think about the implications you're making. There's no difference between "simply taking a math formula for being true" and "deriving it", when it comes to learning a mathematical principle. This is not a perfect analogy i will admit.

but dont you think there is a time and a place for "it doesnt matter how you get there, as long as you got it"? I just dont feel this is one of those places! Think of the importance of this decision! It may not require 100% reason, but it certainly requires a fricken reason you believe! Otherwise we are just deciding on stuff because of our cultural influences and/or personal world views lining up. I just cant see how God respects people who make no effort to question or understand beyond the text and just take it for truth because someone told them to. The reality is that i'm putting forth an insane amount of effort even outside of this forum in my search for the truth. I just can't accept that the robots of the world are going to be rewarded.

The best believers are no doubt going to be the ones with reasons for why they believe that lie outside of personal testimony, i was raised on it or "it just feels right".

The traditional ideas on knowledge DO apply. yes I agree that justificationism has no place in theology. We cant 100% prove the God of the bible does or doesnt exist, but surely there are arguments that CAN be evaluated both for their utility in describing the world and the historical evidence they stand on (example being lack of proof for Exodus...).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is a valid point, but to go to the level of detail and rigor required for a careful interpretation is beyond the discussion of an online forum. :)

For example John's Gospel uses the term "eternal life" or simply "life" many times, and if you read the passages carefully you will detect layers of meanings to this word, i.e. multiple meanings at once. To see this clearly one needs to study the whole Gospel and identify the main themes, and then study in detail the relevant passages in John. Instead of overanalyzing one passage, the context of the whole writing should be taken into account.

I'm not sure why you are going here, since my point was the opposite.

It's easier if I just move straight to my bottom-line stance: Truly understanding and experiencing God cannot be dependent upon a meticulous text study because such a thing is not accessible to everyone.... and is in fact only accessible to a small percentage of people.

Whatever truth there is of God needs to be able to be perceived, fathomed, understood, and lived without understanding meticulous nuance. It has to be livable by a five-year-old.

And furthermore John is much easier on the ears than Paul is. People often find John enjoyable to read just for aesthetic of the poetry. This is not true of Paul. Paul can be difficult to grasp in a variety of passages.

John is more aesthetic, certainly, although I tend to still very much enjoy Paul because of the clear arguments he pushes (you can see how his logic works) and he still has an eloquence about him (whether we're talking Phillipians 2 or 1 Cor 13... or Romans 8:38-39... which has to be one of my favorite passages in the Bible :) ). The language in the Bible in general is moving in many spots; while the KJV is a weaker translation than most, the language itself is more beautiful than many modern translations and worth reading.

So for someone who isn't familiar with the text, it's usually easier and more effective to give a person a single verse. The main message of the new testament is essentially summed up in John 3:16. So instead of having people understand every part of the new testament they say, "here memorize John 3:16". It's a simplification, but it's effective and not meant to be misleading. (The bad part is when other people come in using the same tactic and they are trying to be misleading. :()

That's not really what I was referring to, so I'm confused over your point. After having been through that phase of my life, I came to the conclusion that finding God and becoming perfected wasn't going to happen through more extensive Bible study than I was already doing.

(It tends to be detached from the reality and rigor of actual life and also often interferes with the need for one to make actual moral choices rather than complying with whatever scriptural status quo that is accepted in the day and age.)

Overall, having been there myself and having seen the impact of others who do it, I don't think that the intellectualization of the faith is a good thing.

I too grapple with this concept. What confuses me and is the crux of my doubt on the topic of "God" is that if he is indeed a loving, benevolent force and has us, his creation in his best interest, how can he expect us in our limited knowledge and ability to understand the complexities of this universe, to understand this issue? We have the ability to think, analyze and doubt and I find myself doing this a lot. God encourages/forces/prods us to "live by faith" and just accept that there's a way we can't understand but to be ok with that.

How can I be expected to blindly accept that or be damned if I don't? For me, it's not a choice, it's an inability to understand. From what I've always been told and from all I can gather is that that isn't good enough and hell still awaits me and my heresy. If there is a god, I'm angry at him for that. That "system", if you will, isn't one of a humane beholder of justice.

That is a pretty honest appraisal. :) I don't know how I would answer that. Sigh.

When I was younger I really thought I understood truth and had answers that worked; but the older I got and the more things I had to work through in life, and the more things I saw OTHER people dealing with, the more ambiguous it all became, and the more I realized I was just trying to live out answers that were ultimately unsatisfying, without real conviction or certainty my assertions were true.

Coming along with that, I do not know how we "have faith." We can't just choose to have faith, we either have it or we don't, so it's almost like a gift... and so how could a god hold us accountable if we don't have it? I do not know the answer.

I guess in my life for a long time I had faith. Or thought I did. And maybe on one level I did, but my intellectual needs were not satisfied; once I was forced to confront the reality that belief is based on faith, not knowledge, I really really crashed. I realized any faith I had had been built on the assumption that I could prove what I believed... and when I realized I couldn't, I no longer knew what I believed. (So my faith actually had built on rationality.)

I went through various cycles feeling that God either didn't exist or that he had abandoned me, and eventually I came to a point where I realized the question of God didn't even matter in terms of what I was going to do with my life and what convictions I held about all that was good and right. For me it became walking through the eye of paradox between belief and unbelief, realizing that regardless of whatever intellectual discordance I ran across, I still was going live as if it were all true -- and I did know the values were true. Because it was what mattered to me and embodied life as I knew it. (I don't know if this aligns with what Reason said above, as far as practical value goes, but maybe... And what more can a limited human being do?)

I am saying this simply to say that one can still believe, still not understand, and still wonder if it's all true. I also think the value is in the seeking, not necessarily the understanding. And you can't always find everything right away, if ever. But seeking shows a desire to find, and I have to believe that is honored, and that there is not a time limit on the finding.

sorry, it's late, I probably sound preachy.

The best believers are no doubt going to be the ones with reasons for why they believe that lie outside of personal testimony, i was raised on it or "it just feels right".

Where I see that sort of faith breaking down: It's okay to think that way, but where the rubber meets the road is receptivity to OTHERS thinking that way.

IOW, the people who accept an authority, or have a personal testimony, or a cultural upbringing, or an "it just feels right" mindset are morally stilted if they have the hubris to suggest that OTHERS who follow the exact same patterns but come to different conclusions must be wrong.

Because they're right, obviously.

People are allowed to have convictions stemming from many sources. The pride and faultiness comes in how they place themselves over others (or not) and think they have more of a handle on truth.

People who are humble actually will listen to other viewpoints and consider them. They won't slander the character of those they disagreement, based solely on the fact they disagree. THey understand they don't know everything, that they only know what they know, and that there is much that is beyond them.

Does that make sense?

The traditional ideas on knowledge DO apply. yes I agree that justificationism has no place in theology. We cant 100% prove the God of the bible does or doesnt exist, but surely there are arguments that CAN be evaluated both for their utility in describing the world and the historical evidence they stand on (example being lack of proof for Exodus...).

You can do all that, and certainly it is useful... but salvation itself is not to be found in it. In the end it's just knowledge and argument, not conviction and belief.

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Think about the implications you're making.
I have done, at great length, and continue to.

I encourage everyone to take leaps, not of faith, but of imagination. New ideas are obtained by imagination, while reason seperates the wheat from the chaff. That is the role of logic and evidence, to scrutinise and criticise, to select and eliminate, not to imagine and create. That is why evidence is best used in its critical role, (to falsify, not to verify or support), and why logic is best used to test for consistency, (deduction can do this, induction and abduction can't). However, this is the selection process, not the creative. The perfect reasoning machine is stale, boring, incapable of anything new, forever unpacking the logical consequences implicit in whatever ideas it has been programmed with, whereas the creative being can have new ideas, producing the variation on which reason can exert its selective pressures. There is no reasoning in this process of creation, but neither is it irrational, for rationality would be impossible without it.

Do not build knowledge piecemeal upon a foundation, that is entirely the wrong way to think about the process. If you insist on using the metaphor of construction, then use your imagination to build, not just one, but many alternative structures, bold, elaborate, risky, interesting, leap into the lanscape of ideas and don't look back. Then, use reason like a bulldozer, keen to demolish these structures, pretenders to the truth, inconsistent, erroneous, and false. Weed out the bad ideas, but never stop introducing the new. Insulating ideas from criticism is easy, done by denying aany standards of criticism. Any theory, whether scientific, mathematical, ethical or whatever, can be immunised from criticism in this way. If a theory is to be criticisable, then you need to decide what kind of criticism you will accept. Clarify the problem which you want to solve, and then specify what kind of argument or experiment could be deployed as a test of your ideas. The rationalist ought to be someone who voluntarily enters into this arrangement, eschewing authority outright, with the intention of learning from his errors before acting on them.

There is no prohibition here on the idea of God, and to know that God exists takes nothing more than the belief coupled with the actuality.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have done, at great length, and continue to.

I encourage everyone to take leaps, not of faith, but of imagination. New ideas are obtained by imagination, while reason seperates the wheat from the chaff. That is the role of logic and evidence, to scrutinise and criticise, to select and eliminate, not to imagine and create. That is why evidence is best used in its critical role, (to falsify, not to verify or support), and why logic is best used to test for consistency, (deduction can do this, induction and abduction can't). However, this is the selection process, not the creative. The perfect reasoning machine is stale, boring, incapable of anything new, forever unpacking the logical consequences implicit in whatever ideas it has been programmed with, whereas the creative being can have new ideas, producing the variation on which reason can exert its selective pressures. There is no reasoning in this process of creation, but neither is it irrational, for rationality would be impossible without it.

Do not build knowledge piecemeal upon a foundation, that is entirely the wrong way to think about the process. If you insist on using the metaphor of construction, then use your imagination to build, not just one, but many alternative structures, bold, elaborate, risky, interesting, leap into the lanscape of ideas and don't look back. Then, use reason like a bulldozer, keen to demolish these structures, pretenders to the truth, inconsistent, erroneous, and false. Weed out the bad ideas, but never stop introducing the new. Insulating ideas from criticism is easy, done by denying aany standards of criticism. Any theory, whether scientific, mathematical, ethical or whatever, can be immunised from criticism in this way. If a theory is to be criticisable, then you need to decide what kind of criticism you will accept. Clarify the problem which you want to solve, and then specify what kind of argument or experiment could be deployed as a test of your ideas. The rationalist ought to be someone who voluntarily enters into this arrangement, eschewing authority outright, with the intention of learning from his errors before acting on them.

There is no prohibition here on the idea of God, and to know that God exists takes nothing more than the belief coupled with the actuality.

Alright. Im trying to take that all in :shock:.... big breath ...:D. Are you sure you're not some sort of NT? hahaha ...(i guess the ESFJ DOES asprire to Ti.)

I think Bluewings thread "faith of a rationalist" is an awesome example of building a spiritual idea with imagination that is restrained by logic. The whole idea is extremely logical, yet is spiritual, yet is still not hokey.

I know i already mentioned the Jews in a post, but i want to expand on how I think the key to evaluating the NT lies in the OT.
1. all ancient civilizations have stories that link "their own" culture straight to "the true God". They especially liked to form links that showed how God had divinely picked their king. Egypt to China, they ALL did it...including the Jews. So by you're standards, is it not an ok critisism to ask, :

2 what arguments makes the Jewish faith any different from other ancient faiths? Just like how people in Greece aren't that literal in the belief of their creation stories anymore, I don't see any Jews doing animal sacrifices today. How literal can they still take the Torah if they aren't making animal sacrifices today? (im aware that they cant really do them without the Temple on the Mount...but if they REALLY believed in this as their only way, i gotta believe that they'd be willing to die to regain that temple!) Some Jews claim that the sacrifice was never really for vicarious atonement and is only to commemorate the reunion with God. This shows a clear contrast to Modern Christians who conviently hold that Jesus IS the passover Lamb.

Hebrews 9:22
And according to the law almost all things are purified with blood, and without shedding of blood there is no remission.

Numbers 9:13
But the man who is clean and is not on a journey, and ceases to keep the Passover, that same person shall be cut off from among his people, because he did not bring the offering of the LORD at its appointed time; that man shall bear his sin.

Im still not sure of this animal sacrifice being neccessary or not yada yada yada...the point is, its in the law, yet no one does it, or believes in it enough to make it happen again (not saying that i DESIRE they start a war to reclaim it!)

3. If the Jews hardly take the OT literally, then why should the Christians build an entire faith on it? (im aware of the orthodox vs reform Jews). I would bet most christians reading the OT would say to themselves, "geeze, glad I dont have to even debate if I could do any of the stuff prescribed here".

4. Im going to make that leap that if most Christians actually had to do ALL the stuff in the OT, and mean like literally, ALL of it, they wouldnt still be Christians. My evidence for this is the obscenely small % of Jews who do EVERYTHING prescribed in the OT.

5. If the OT aint 100% true, then why the heck is the NT true? I find it amazing that most evangelicals want to always start someone off with the NT and Jesus...really, they should start on page 1 genesis! anything else is deceptive.

6. Convince me of Jesus? aren't we getting ahead of ourselves?! Convince me of Judaism!

7. How does it not bother Christians that the evidence for Exodus is as shaky as they try to claim the evidence for evolution is? Really, there is no record of it. We know A LOT about Egypt. We can read their records, and many Egyptologists will point out the peoples were NOT afraid of recording stuff that made the Egyptians look bad...

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm not sure why you are going here, since my point was the opposite.

It's easier if I just move straight to my bottom-line stance: Truly understanding and experiencing God cannot be dependent upon a meticulous text study because such a thing is not accessible to everyone.... and is in fact only accessible to a small percentage of people.

Whatever truth there is of God needs to be able to be perceived, fathomed, understood, and lived without understanding meticulous nuance. It has to be livable by a five-year-old.

We aren't talking about understanding and experiencing God in general. We are discussing what the Bible says about eternal suffering (if anything). First you criticise ArtlessFuture for taking a scripture out of context, and now you criticize me for studying too carefully. Well which is it? Are we being too careful or not careful enough?

Also while not everyone can perform a meticulous text study, everyone can potentially benefit from a person who does. This is assuming they trust the person doing the study. A simple childlike faith in eternal suffering is not the same as a simple childlike faith in a merciful God. :) A person's view of the afterlife does affect their view of God even if they are a five year old. I wouldn't put the concept of hell under the category of pointless minutae.

That's not really what I was referring to, so I'm confused over your point. After having been through that phase of my life, I came to the conclusion that finding God and becoming perfected wasn't going to happen through more extensive Bible study than I was already doing.

(It tends to be detached from the reality and rigor of actual life and also often interferes with the need for one to make actual moral choices rather than complying with whatever scriptural status quo that is accepted in the day and age.)

Overall, having been there myself and having seen the impact of others who do it, I don't think that the intellectualization of the faith is a good thing.

This is getting away from my point, but my personal experience has been the opposite of this. I don't have much difficulty turning ideas into action, although it took me a while to see that other have difficulty doing this. I think this may just be a quirk of me being ENTP. I naturally look for ways to turn abstract ideas into concrete reality. I prefer to base my actions on carefully thought out ideas rather than just following the same format that has always been there. However, I like to hold onto the idealistic notion that other people can be taught the same. :)

In particular I think the concept of hell (and the afterlife in general) is important to understand because it affects how we see God, and it affects how we act now. For example I often wonder why many Christians don't seem bothered by the acts done at Gitmo and Abu Graib. Then I remember, "oh yeah...most people think God is a sadist. I keep forgetting." :doh: I think if more people understood that the idea of eternal suffering is not Biblical, then they would have a more positive outlook on God and life in general.

IlyaK1986

MBTI Type
ENTJ
How? You can't. The bible is a collection of nonsense written by people that thought the world was flat, or so I believe.

MBTI Type
ENTP
bible is a collection of nonsense written by people that thought the world was flat, or so I believe.

uh, bullshit. Most people stopped believing the earth was flat looong before "The Bible" existed. We're talking centuries.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think if more people understood that the idea of eternal suffering is not Biblical, then they would have a more positive outlook on God and life in general.

ya but who says its not? in the past week ive asked a number of people IRL who i used to trust based on how much theyve studied the Bible, and none of them gave agreeing answers on the nature of:

-how sin is payed for through Jesus (subsitution, legalist, 'as long as theres bloodshed' etc...)
-if there is an eternal hell, no eternal hell, a short term hell, a last chance for all at the resurreciton etc...

these people werent even "amatures". they were all non-denominational pastors or people who make faith ministry part of their livlihood. And yet non of them agreed (i didnt ask them all in front of each other, no arguing or anything).

This only leads back to one of my main points. An omnipotent God, has this all important message, and he chooses to limit himself to this 2000 year old book that even his own followers can't agree on. Its sounding more and more ridiculous as i press on...

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They believed it was flat not long before Columbus decided to test the theory in 1492.

you guys are both right. the greeks had good reason to believe that it was round. So i think by the time of columbus (not sure though bout Jesus's time) it was more about:

avg lay person: thought it flat
educated: thought it round.

IlyaK1986

MBTI Type
ENTJ
you guys are both right. the greeks had good reason to believe that it was round. So i think by the time of columbus (not sure though bout Jesus's time) it was more about:

avg lay person: thought it flat
educated: thought it round.

Were those people the educated Greeks? No.

They thought it was flat. Just like they thought that there was a God.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
ya but who says its not? in the past week ive asked a number of people IRL who i used to trust based on how much theyve studied the Bible, and none of them gave agreeing answers on the nature of:

-how sin is payed for through Jesus (subsitution, legalist, 'as long as theres bloodshed' etc...)
-if there is an eternal hell, no eternal hell, a short term hell, a last chance for all at the resurreciton etc...

these people werent even "amatures". they were all non-denominational pastors or people who make faith ministry part of their livlihood. And yet non of them agreed (i didnt ask them all in front of each other, no arguing or anything).

This only leads back to one of my main points. An omnipotent God, has this all important message, and he chooses to limit himself to this 2000 year old book that even his own followers can't agree on. Its sounding more and more ridiculous as i press on...

Every denomination (and really every person) uses a different criteria for how they reach their theological conclusions. If you want to know the answer then you need to know how they reached their conclusions. Pick the person who used the process most similar to the one that you would like to use.

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Babylon Candle,

You state that 'all ancient civilizations have stories that link "their own" culture straight to "the true God".' That is not true, most ancient civilisations were polytheistic, even the ancient Hebrews. The Old Testament, or at least the first books, seem to implicitly assume the existence of other Gods. For example, the God of the Hebrews is described as being more powerful than the Gods of the Egyptians, and the first commandment says 'you shall have no other God before me', not 'you shall have no God other than me, and I am the only one that exists anyway'. The Old Testament also includes passages describing the Hebrews continued polytheism, after the exodus from Egypt.

What this means for Christian theology is not my concern here (though it is very interesting to consider). My point is merely that your assumption is false. Moreover, the Gods of most ancient cultures were capricious, uncaring and often cruel to humans; there were no chosen people, only those who appeased the wrathful Gods and those who didn't. The emerging monotheism of the Hebrews, coupled with the belief in a more loving and caring God (at least for his own people), was quite a novel development for the time. Ahkenaten's worship of Aten was, perhaps, a precursor, albeit unsuccessful, whereas Zoroastrianism didn't really get going until a little later.

Anyway, here is a thought to ponder: there are no problems with the Bible, only with interpretations.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Were those people the educated Greeks? No.
They thought it was flat. Just like they thought that there was a God.

If you'd like to make some rational arguments involving fact, don't hold back on my account.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Babylon Candle,

You state that 'all ancient civilizations have stories that link "their own" culture straight to "the true God".' That is not true, most ancient civilisations were polytheistic, even the ancient Hebrews. The Old Testament, or at least the first books, seem to implicitly assume the existence of other Gods. For example, the God of the Hebrews is described as being more powerful than the Gods of the Egyptians, and the first commandment says 'you shall have no other God before me', not 'you shall have no God other than me, and I am the only one that exists anyway'. The Old Testament also includes passages describing the Hebrews continued polytheism, after the exodus from Egypt.

What this means for Christian theology is not my concern here (though it is very interesting to consider). My point is merely that your assumption is false. Moreover, the Gods of most ancient cultures were capricious, uncaring and often cruel to humans; there were no chosen people, only those who appeased the wrathful Gods and those who didn't. The emerging monotheism of the Hebrews, coupled with the belief in a more loving and caring God (at least for his own people), was quite a novel development for the time. Ahkenaten's worship of Aten was, perhaps, a precursor, albeit unsuccessful, whereas Zoroastrianism didn't really get going until a little later.

Anyway, here is a thought to ponder: there are no problems with the Bible, only with some interpretations.

wait, you don't see any problems with the ancient hebrews being polythiestic as you assert? How does this not work out poorly for Christianity? If Judaism can't be differentiated between any other ancient race that wanted to make up some creation stories that linked itself to the beginning and its kings to the supernatural, then what basis does the NT have in hijacking this ancient religion?

The old testament God is nothing like the God of the new testament. Anyone who asserts the Bible to be perfect (even with your bit on interpretation), I would strongly suggest you take a look at the skeptics annotated Bible. Same Bible, except that someone has actually compiled all the crap thats wrong with inconsistencies, cruelty and violence etc:

Skeptic's Annotated Bible / Quran / Book of Mormon

Is it going to be biased, yes. But its still the Bible they are highlighting and marking up etc...

i am willing to admit my faults in my ORIGINAL argument. However, at a second attempt:

Do you still disagree with the idea that many ancient cultures poly or mono theistic, had a set of creation stories/myths that described earlier times of their peoples and often linked their kings/rulers to some sort of divine appointment?

I dont see how Judaism really differentiates itself. And i would have to disagree with you about the OT God not desiring appeasement and being cruel:

This is talking about making an offering of a MAN and Beast to God:

Numbers 31:26-27
31:26 Take the sum of the prey that was taken, both of man and of beast, thou, and Eleazar the priest, and the chief fathers of the congregation:
31:27 And divide the prey into two parts; between them that took the war upon them, who went out to battle, and between all the congregation:
31:28 And levy a tribute unto the Lord of the men of war which went out to battle: one soul of five hundred, both of the persons, and of the beeves, and of the asses, and of the sheep:

Here an offering of Gold and Jewelry is being offered:
Numbers
31:50 We have therefore brought an oblation for the LORD, what every man hath gotten, of jewels of gold, chains, and bracelets, rings, earrings, and tablets, to make an atonement for our souls before the LORD.
31:51 And Moses and Eleazar the priest took the gold of them, even all wrought jewels.
31:52 And all the gold of the offering that they offered up to the LORD, of the captains of thousands, and of the captains of hundreds, was sixteen thousand seven hundred and fifty shekels.

general examples of how loving the OT God is compared to the NT:

If you see a pretty captive, you can take her home with you, "go in unto her", and then kick her out if she isn't satisfying:

Deuteronomy
21:11 And seest among the captives a beautiful woman, and hast a desire unto her, that thou wouldest have her to thy wife;
21:12 Then thou shalt bring her home to thine house, and she shall shave her head, and pare her nails;
21:13 And she shall put the raiment of her captivity from off her, and shall remain in thine house, and bewail her father and her mother a full month: and after that thou shalt go in unto her, and be her husband, and she shall be thy wife.
21:14 And it shall be, if thou have no delight in her, then thou shalt let her go whither she will; but thou shalt not sell her at all for money, thou shalt not make merchandise of her, because thou hast humbled her.

Two bears tare 42 children to shreds as a form of Gods justice:

2 Kings
2:23 And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
2:24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

Of the cities God delivers in war, kill all the men, and take the women unto thyself:

Deutronomy
20:12 And if it will make no peace with thee, but will make war against thee, then thou shalt besiege it:
20:13 And when the LORD thy God hath delivered it into thine hands, thou shalt smite every male thereof with the edge of the sword:
20:14 But the women, and the little ones, and the cattle, and all that is in the city, even all the spoil thereof, shalt thou take unto thyself; and thou shalt eat the spoil of thine enemies, which the LORD thy God hath given thee.
20:15 Thus shalt thou do unto all the cities which are very far off from thee, which are not of the cities of these nations.
20:16 But of the cities of these people, which the LORD thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth:

If a woman is raped in the city, both she and the man will be stoned to death because she didnt yell loud enough. If she is raped in the countryside, then only the man is stoned to death:

Deuteronomy
22:23 If a damsel that is a virgin be betrothed unto an husband, and a man find her in the city, and lie with her;
22:24 Then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them with stones that they die; the damsel, because she cried not, being in the city; and the man, because he hath humbled his neighbour's wife: so thou shalt put away evil from among you.
22:25 But if a man find a betrothed damsel in the field, and the man force her, and lie with her: then the man only that lay with her shall die.

What the Bible says about clothing and fashions

Women may not wear men's clothing or vice versa -- it's an "abomination unto the Lord."

"The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God." -- Deuteronomy 22:5

Women may not braid their hair, wear gold, pearls, or expensive clothing.

"Women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array." -- 1 Timothy 2:9

"Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel." -- 1 Peter 3:3

Don't wear garments with wool and linen blended together.

"Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woollen and linen together." -- Deuteronomy 22:11

A man's hair should be short, and a woman's long.

"Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering." -- 1 Corinthians 11:14-15

God will punish those who wear strange clothes.

"I will punish ... all such as are clothed with strange apparel. -- Zephaniah 1:8

Priests must wear linen, not wool, and may not wear any garment that makes them sweat.

"But the priests ... shall be clothed with linen garments; and no wool shall come upon them. They shall have linen bonnets upon their heads, and shall have linen breeches upon their loins; they shall not gird themselves with any thing that causeth sweat." -- Ezekiel 44:15-18

I remain with my earlier assertation that if Christians read the OT more frequently (or even at all)...things might be different.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Babylon Candle,
The earliest Christians were Jews. When they started accepting Gentiles into their fold, they decided that they weren't required to keep any of the laws or traditions that the Jews were supposed to. This includes circumcision, which for a Jew is the most important requirement to be considered one of God's people. For Gentiles this requirement was removed with all of the others. The Jewish Christians however still observed all of these things. This is summarized fairly well in Acts chapter 15 if you would like to read for yourself.

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
Babylon Candle, (do you mind if I refer to you as BC?),

School has kept me occupied for the last few days, and I've been unable to keep up w/ this thread. There's a lot here I'd like to respond to, but I don't have the time. I'll have to restrict myself for now, and I hope to find the time to respond to more of your questions in the future.

classical theists claim to have quantified God as being omnipotent, omni benevolent and omniscient. I am simply claiming that at least to myself, God is unquantifiable. Maybe he revealed himself to the originals in a quantifiable way as already stated. However, to someone that he is un revealed, i can't really think of a better description other than he is unquantifiable. That is the most basic difference between God and this world as far as we can gather. humans are finite, quantifiable in existence; God is not finite and is unquantifiable. Do you not agree that that sums up the communication problems beautifully?

Our communication problems? perhaps. Let's see if I can't do something to help clear this up...

Im willing to admit i dont quite understand. are you saying, "and why cant God use beings destined to be unjust as proof of his justice?" i guess you avoid the cruelty because he wont torture, only destroy the unjust.... i guess if you accept that dichotomies can only be understood when compared with their binary, then yes maybe God HAS to create evil in order to create good. i dont doubt that this may be logical. im just not sure if i can grasp the values behind it...i am yet a mere mortal.

God does not torture; the wounds endured in hell are self inflicted.

God cannot create evil. An infinitely powerful God could create the world without evil. An infinitely good God would create the world without evil. If God could and would, then he did. There's some book... can't remember it's name. I think it starts with a "G." Anyway, it says something about God creating the world very good. It might be in the bible... somewhere near the front. Maybe you've heard of it?

so i guess your arguing that there is no torture in hell, because you simply couldnt live apart from God. hell therefore must be your complete death...lack of existence. we wouldnt perceive it. this makes much more sense than there being a hell.

It was slightly misleading when I wrote that you couldn't get away from God. God is a spirit, a being without extension in space. You cannot get away from God, because God does not have a physical location. However, you cannot get away from God's self revelation. If it is clear that God exists, then if you sought to know the nature of the real, then you would know God; thus, if you don't know God, it cannot be the case that you sought to know the nature of the real. If someone does not want to know the nature of the real, God is under no compulsion to change their minds such that they would come to want to seek to know the nature of the real. And so someone could continue on for all time never seeking, never understanding, and never doing what is right.

so men are without excuse? the God of the Gaps seems like a weak argument. The world around us awe inspiring, but we have abstractions and explanations that dont NECESSITATE a PERSONAL God. One of the best cosmological arguments ive read was that the universe IS math. The symbols we use for math is our best ability of describing what actually is: i giant math structure. we can explain what happened in less than a second after the big band up to the creation of the earth....a small gap...then we have from cells all the way to us. sure there ARE gaps...but there have always been gaps and the gaps keep getting smaller.

Even if God is evident in the creation around us, i dont see evidence of a PERSONABLE God, who has a personality and like can actually 'talk to me' if he wants to....

I'd argue that we don't have abstractions to which we can appeal. All other basic positions are either clearly false, or must argue from silence in order to avoid refutation. But, I'm about to leave for school, and I've not time to outline this.

wait so, what is your opinion of my "flirtation with nihilism"? atheism does not inherently mean nihilist...although i guess secular humanism to some just means avoidance of eventual nihilism...

am i going insane?

knowing anything about God seems to be impossible. Feelings can't get us there, logic can't either. Imagination cant get us there, and 5 sense naturalism cant either.

seriously, how can we ever really get anywhere without making an irrational jump? believers keep telling me that "well obviously you eventually have to make a jump of faith..."

but if its just a "feeling"...a "faith"....then how can i know its the right one!?

It's not an irrational jump. It's similar to what reason (the forum member) is saying. And it is what reason, (as the laws of thought), demand. The critical use of reason shows that the metaphysical alternatives to theism either contain a contradiction, or must move to silence in order to avoid ending in contradiction.