User Tag List

123 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Talking Why everyone should embrace hedonism.

Psychologically, our behavior is motivated by our desire to experience pleasure and avoid experiencing pain.

Technically, we are all already hedonists, but not everyone embraces it ethically. Religion can make people feel guilty about certain things that are very pleasurable to them. Societal mores, taboos, and laws also can prevent people from being the best hedonist they can be. (However of course laws and taboos should stay intact regarding things like murder, rape..etc).

If everyone looked at what is really pleasurable and what causes pain in their lives, and changed according to what they've found, people would be happier.

Short and Long term pleasure/pain has to be looked at too. A good hedonist will probably not get addicted to heroin because they know while it will cause short-term pleasure, it will probably cause long-term pain.

What do you all think about this issue?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Everybody's everything already. Character is a question of preference and degree.

SILLY THREAD ALERT!

MBTI
    INFP

Going by wikipedia's definition, which is:

"Hedonism is the philosophy that pleasure is of ultimate importance, the most important pursuit,"

I would say that we are all hedonists.. The ascetic is a hedonist in that he derives pleasure (albeit "spiritual" or "enlightened") from that abstinence. The hard-worker is a hedonist, as the peace of mind that comes with financial security is pleasurable. I would like to see an argument that says we are all not hedonists..

Now.. that is with the definition I have cited...

If there is another definition.. perhaps more specific.. then lay it on me.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Everybody's everything already. Character is a question of preference and degree.

SILLY THREAD ALERT!
    What do you mean by everybody's everything already? Most or at least many people, through their actions, don't embrace hedonism.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    I would say that we are all hedonists.. The ascetic is a hedonist in that he derives pleasure (albeit "spiritual" or "enlightened") from that abstinence. The hard-worker is a hedonist, as the peace of mind that comes with financial security is pleasurable. I would like to see an argument that says we are all not hedonists..
    Technically I believe we are, but if we look at 'ethical hedonism' in particular, many people don't have that view at all.

MBTI
    INFP

Ahh...

Psychological hedonism is the view that humans are psychologically constructed in such a way that we exclusively desire pleasure.

Ethical hedonism is the view that our fundamental moral obligation is to maximize pleasure or happiness.
    I will make a post on this.

Great topic!

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    What do you mean by everybody's everything already? Most or at least many people, through their actions, don't embrace hedonism.
    We still have our reptilian brain parts, and all lust from time to time.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    We still have our reptilian brain parts, and all lust from time to time.
    ...from time to time.

MBTI
    INTJ

How can anyone possibly do anything which isn't hedonistic?

They must derive some pleasure from their chastity.
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    INFP

"No, not a commonplace! Hitherto, for instance, if I were told ‘love thy neighbour,’ what came of it?” Pyotr Petrovitch went on, perhaps with excessive haste. “It came to my tearing my coat in half to share with my neighbour and we both were left half naked. As a Russian proverb has it, ‘catch several hares and you won’t catch one.’ Science now tells us, love yourself before all men, for everything in the world rests on self-interest. You love yourself and manage your own affairs properly and your coat remains whole. Economic truth adds that the better private affairs are organised in society—the more whole coats, so to say—the firmer are its foundations and the better is the common welfare organised too. Therefore, in acquiring wealth solely and exclusively for myself, I am acquiring so to speak, for all, and helping to bring to pass my neighbour’s getting a little more than a torn coat; and that not from private, personal liberality, but as a consequence of the general advance. The idea is simple, but unhappily it has been a long time reaching us, being hindered by idealism and sentimentality. And yet it would seem to want very little wit to perceive it …”
    --Dostoevsky, Crime and Punishment

I agree with this (taking care of your own needs and wants) so long as it does not directly infringe upon the rights and happiness of others.

I am curious as to what the popular arguments against ethical hedonism are? I haven't been in a philosophy class for years.