User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 69

  1. #21
    Branded with Satan murkrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    1,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Sure there might have been some pleasure he experienced surrounding his suicide, but it would probably be out weighed by the pain he felt, which caused his suicide in the first place.
    Whether his suicide was inspired by pain or loyalty is undefined (and undefinable?)
    And this would be thanks to religion, which can prevent people from realizing their hedonistic potential.
    Is raising the ceiling for allowable pleasure really going to make people more pleased?

    Relativity seems to counter this idea pretty easily.
    wails from the crypt.

  2. #22
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    I'm afraid I can't provie the stuides right now, but it's actually been well recored that hedonistic living usually causes depression.

    For human's, happiness is usually generated by a concept of worth, not pleasural sensations. This is why feeling loved, being proud of work, and yes, believing in a religion, makes people happier on average. These things create a sense of value.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  3. #23
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Hedonism is selfishness. I wouldn't embrace it and would look down on anyone that claims it.

  4. #24
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I'm afraid I can't provie the stuides right now, but it's actually been well recored that hedonistic living usually causes depression.

    For human's, happiness is usually generated by a concept of worth, not pleasural sensations. This is why feeling loved, being proud of work, and yes, believing in a religion, makes people happier on average. These things create a sense of value.
    There's lots of literature on religion causing depression:
    http://psychcentral.com/news/2008/09...sion/2880.html
    Religion, depression and suicide
    Religion and Depression - How Christian-Fatalism Leads to Despair


    Hedonism is all about happiness and pleasure, how could this make you unhappy? If self-worth makes you happy, then pursuing it would be hedonistic.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Hedonism is selfishness. I wouldn't embrace it and would look down on anyone that claims it.
    Every act we perform is selfish, for instance if donating to charities didn't make people feel good they wouldn't do it.

  5. #25
    veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    6,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Every act we perform is selfish, for instance if donating to charities didn't make people feel good they wouldn't do it.
    Aww, how can you say that here on a website that's all based on personality types? You're wrong. There are really some people who donate to charities because they believe it is their duty to do so, and have no strong feeling for it one way or the other.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

    "I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

    The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

  6. #26
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Hedonism is all about happiness and pleasure, how could this make you unhappy? If self-worth makes you happy, then pursuing it would be hedonistic.
    It in pratice, it is really just a process of seeking pleasure, and plesaure does not creat happiness, no matter how much you've driven the idea into your head that it does. I think we've all had moments when we were pleasuring ourselves in a state of depression, and it did no good whatsoever. Likewise, I have been happy at moments that were also quite painful. Happiness goes beyond such indulgences.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  7. #27
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Aww, how can you say that here on a website that's all based on personality types? You're wrong. There are really some people who donate to charities because they believe it is their duty to do so, and have no strong feeling for it one way or the other.
    If they feel it's a duty, then they will get satisfaction/pleasure from fulfilling the duty, obviously.

    It's really hard for anyone to come up with a scenario where humans perform an action and pleasure/pain is not involved.

  8. #28
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    It in pratice, it is really just a process of seeking pleasure, and plesaure does not creat happiness, no matter how much you've driven the idea into your head that it does. I think we've all had moments when we were pleasuring ourselves in a state of depression, and it did no good whatsoever. Likewise, I have been happy at moments that were also quite painful. Happiness goes beyond such indulgences.
    Happiness is a synonym for pleasure.

  9. #29
    veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    6,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    If they feel it's a duty, then they will get satisfaction/pleasure from fulfilling the duty, obviously.
    No, they really don't. There are people that hate it but do it anyway. I'm not making this up, I know many people like this. There's a lot of them. Several of them were probably your school teachers. Some might have been your boss. They're out there!
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

    "I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

    The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

  10. #30
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    No, they really don't. There are people that hate it but do it anyway. I'm not making this up, I know many people like this. There's a lot of them. Several of them were probably your school teachers. Some might have been your boss. They're out there!
    What drives them to do it?

Similar Threads

  1. Post a book you think everyone should read and say why
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-05-2011, 10:21 AM
  2. Everyone should have their mind blown...
    By proteanmix in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-26-2011, 04:37 AM
  3. Why you should(nt) live with me. An introduction to doriusrex
    By doriusrex in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-18-2010, 10:10 AM
  4. Why there should be other purpose in life than...
    By alcea rosea in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-05-2009, 08:10 PM
  5. [NT] NTs why did you embrace religion?
    By SolitaryWalker in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 125
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 03:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO