• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Turning Back the Enlightenment

Mole

Permabanned
The first step is to teach Creationism or even Intelligent Design in Biology class.

The next step is to teach Alchemy in the Chemistry class.

And then we teach Astrology in the Astronomy class.

And not forgetting to teach MBTI in the Psychology class.

And before long the monstrous wave of Reason is beaten back to sea.

But what shall we do with the Goddess of Reason, called the Statue of Liberty, washed up on our shores?

She is plainly an embarrassment until you realise she is Our Lady of the New World - the patron saint of Creationism, Alchemy, Astrology and MBTI. And it is the Enlightenment that is the embarrassment.

heart

heart on fire
I thought you were all for the New World order, total political correctness, globalism, having no privacy and chips in our heads? :huh:

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I thought you were all for the New World order, total political correctness, globalism, having no privacy and chips in our heads? :huh:

Victor is for whatever will piss people off and draw attention to himself.

:coffee:

Mole

Permabanned
I begin to suspect the same thing. There's lack of consistancy in his positions, though sometimes he seems quite sincere.

Who was it that was, "bald, dry and sere"?
When I am a long hair, wet and sincere.

You vastly over-rate sincerity because it is your cultural imperative.

But when you judge me by your cultural imperatives you simply become absurd.

And when I judge you by my cultural imperatives, you lack irony or even as sense of humour.

So what do you say - cultural imperatives at twenty paces?

Mole

Permabanned
Well, forgive me for thinking you had any sort of sentience going on there. My mistake.

This is half your charm, Luv. You perceive sentience in any rock - you can feel that each rock has its own spirit.

You live in a delightful world of spirits and fairies at the bottom of the garden. And you are kind enough to include me.

heart

heart on fire
Yes we all know victor, your high culture forces you into playing some kind of bizarre clown role so that you can believe you are witty.

I don't know about that. I read people from Australia on different boards on the web and most of them seem sincere and just normal folks. Sometimes they are funny and creative and unique and sometimes they are interesting and sometimes they aren't.

No matter what culture one comes from, can being sincere be overrated? If we are false with each other and just a load of glib gibberish, why bother reading each other anyway?

Isn't that what's wrong with the New Age movement anyway? Nothing's real so nothing matters.

This is half your charm, Luv. You perceive sentience in any rock - you can feel that each rock has its own spirit.

You live in a delightful world of spirits and fairies at the bottom of the garden. And you are kind enough to include me.

You must have a different definition of sentience than I do.

And okay, I don't want to assume here...do you mean me personally or am I once again just a representation of the USA-MacDonalds-Oil-Cartel cabal?

Mole

Permabanned
Nothing's real so nothing matters.

I have a friend who says exactly the same thing but she is psychotic.

You don't strike me as psychotic but certainly a nihilist.

And unfortunately, a parochial nihilist.

On the other hand perhaps you are suffering from Clinical Depression. That would explain you nihilism and the relentlessly negative attitude you take.

And if you are suffering from Clinical Depression, you suffer from an emotional delusion.

And you are determined to foist your delusion on us.

heart

heart on fire
No matter what culture one comes from, can being sincere be overrated? If we are false with each other and just a load of glib gibberish, why bother reading each other anyway?

Isn't that what's wrong with the New Age movement anyway? Nothing's real so nothing matters.

i.e. above. I am not saying that nothing is real so nothing matters. I said, that is what is wrong with the New Age, which grew out of the New Thought movement and faith healing.

I have a friend who says exactly the same thing but she is psychotic.

You don't strike me as psychotic but certainly a nihilist.

And unfortunately, a parochial nihilist.

On the other hand perhaps you are suffering from Clinical Depression. That would explain you nihilism and the relentlessly negative attitude you take.

And if you are suffering from Clinical Depression, you suffer from an emotional delusion.

And you are determined to foist your delusion on us.

victor, I am saying if we are all fake and we speak nonsense to each other, then speaking to each other does not matter, because nothing we say would be real.

If we show each other a false mask, then what does looking at each other matter? This is why I find people who are insincere to be an anthema. I don't think that is limited to my Troglodyte culture or any emotional delusions.

Mole

Permabanned
This is why I find people who are insincere to be an anthema.

You find the insincere to be anathema for cultural reasons.

And because you are innocent of even your own culture, you are unconscious of your cultural imperatives.

I understand you don't like me. You don't like me for cultural reasons and because I am not normal.

I have got this message loud and clear. There is no need to keep repeating it.

Look, you only need to keep repeating the message for your own needs. You need to reinforce your own unconscious cultural imperatives and to shore up your normality.

But it is like trying to hold back the tide - it is too late - the tide is in full flood.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
If we turn back the clock on the enlightenment can I rape people?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
It's only a question of who's going to stop you. You find quality folks in every historical period.

heart

heart on fire
You find the insincere to be anathema for cultural reasons.

And because you are innocent of even your own culture, you are unconscious of your cultural imperatives.

I understand you don't like me. You don't like me for cultural reasons and because I am not normal.

I have got this message loud and clear. There is no need to keep repeating it.

Look, you only need to keep repeating the message for your own needs. You need to reinforce your own unconscious cultural imperatives and to shore up your normality.

But it is like trying to hold back the tide - it is too late - the tide is in full flood.

I don't know you. I only see the facade you put up online, so I cannot even know if I would like or dislike you if I truly knew you. I would not even go so far as to assume you are normal or abnormal compared to other people, I am just saying as far as your posts, you don't come across as most Australians I have interacted with online so I am not really buying your thing about your supposed high culture motivating you to play subtle insult comic to make yourself look creative and unique.

Now I'll ask again: Isn't preferring sincerity from people a more universal preference? What use is talking to each other in a society if people aren't even at least trying to be sincere with each other?

Mole

Permabanned
I don't know you. I only see the facade you put up online, so I cannot even know if I would like or dislike you if I truly knew you. I would not even go so far as to assume you are normal or abnormal compared to other people, I am just saying as far as your posts, you don't come across as most Australians I have interacted with online so I am not really buying your thing about your supposed high culture motivating you to play subtle insult comic to make yourself look creative and unique.

Now I'll ask again: Isn't preferring sincerity from people a more universal preference? What use is talking to each other in a society if people aren't even at least trying to be sincere with each other?

I feel I am getting to the point where I have to shout at you - if they don't speak English, just keep raising your voice until they do understand.

What you don't seem to understand is that your culture highly values sincerity while other cultures highly value other virtues.

When you relentlessly keep on trying impose your hierarchy of cultural values on other cultures, you come across as the Ugly American.

How do you think other cultures define themselves? They define themselves by their hierarchy of values.

The hierarchy of values is encoded in their very language and in their body language and in their institutions.

Nobody is going to change their hierarchy of values because you think your hierarchy is universal. You have simply made a mistake.

There is no need to keep on repeating it.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
Victor, your value of respecting the values of other cultures isn't universal either.

You're judging people by their inability to accept your thinking that all thinking should be accepted.

heart

heart on fire
I feel I am getting to the point where I have to shout at you - if they don't speak English, just keep raising your voice until they do understand.

What you don't seem to understand is that your culture highly values sincerity while other cultures highly value other virtues.

When you relentlessly keep on trying impose your hierarchy of cultural values on other cultures, you come across as the Ugly American.

How do you think other cultures define themselves? They define themselves by their hierarchy of values.

The hierarchy of values is encoded in their very language and in their body language and in their institutions.

Nobody is going to change their hierarchy of values because you think your hierarchy is universal. You have simply made a mistake.

There is no need to keep on repeating it.

Well, you repeat your own version of what you believe is best and that's fine for you. But if a person from the USA voices any type of belief more than once they are an "ugly American." That's certainly an interesting viewpoint.

Because victor you have complained on here about the New Age movement making life where no one cares because nothing is seen as real. Okay, that's a valid point, though I don't think the entire Romantic movement can be distilled into the current New Age movement, it was a branch off New Thought.

What is the difference between people seeing nothing as being real and people communicating where nothing is real? Since you have this alleged cultural perspective where you can see all the flaws in the USA pattern of thinking explain the paradox where it is wrong to think nothing is real but it is right to speak and act where nothing is real in fact.

So I would like to hear from other people on here who post from all over the world. Do you value sincerity when other people deal with you? Or is it okay with you if they just spout nonsense and present a fake persona because being seen as witty is more important?

Mole

Permabanned
Victor, your value of respecting the values of other cultures isn't universal either.

You're judging people by their inability to accept your thinking that all thinking should be accepted.

Well it's interesting, Murkow.

The very nature of value is that you value one thing more than another.

So you are right, I see my values as better than the values of other cultures.

However I know that they see their values as better than mine.

For instance, the Taliban have been ambushing and killing Australian soldiers just the other day.

And the Taliban very decidedly think their values are better than mine. And I think mine are better than theirs.

So we are mutually trying impose our values on the other from the barrel of a gun.

On our side we have the Enlightenment and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. And on their side they the unalterable word of God who enjoins them to jihad and martyrdom.

This is of course a tragic and evil situation but we are both committed to imposing our values on the other. Both sides of our Parliament affirmed our determination to win just yesterday.

But I think you have slightly misrepresented me. I don't think all thinking should be accepted.

It is in the very nature of values to value some thinking over others.

I know what I think. I know what my country thinks. We were born during the Enlightenment and we ineluctably carry the values of the Enlightenment.

And thanks to our Enlightenment values, we are a rational and successful society.

But I don't make the mistake of thinking the Taliban share our Enlightenment values for a second. Should I make that mistake, the Taliban would disabuse me.