User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 22

  1. #11
    EvanTheClown (ETC) Clownmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    965

    Default

    Remember that time that the Iron Man Fallacy thread got waaaay off topic?

    Because you can't spell "Slaughter" without "Laughter"

  2. #12
    Senior Member animenagai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Posts
    1,573

    Default

    i like the thought of it (not penises you fallacy-heads!). however, isn't this just improving your theory. i think you can argue with the original theory and poke holes in it and whatnot, but if there is a new iron man and you can't poke holes in it, what's the point of poking at the original argument? if the iron man is that strong, they win regardless.

  3. #13
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    why would you call that a fallacy?

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    Isn't Iran Man Mahmoud Armouredinnerjacket?

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    why would you call that a fallacy?
    It is a fallacy because the newly constructed Iron Man could not be representative of what the original expositor actually believes. There are often several possible stronger arguments that can be created from a weaker one.

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  6. #16
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    I don't get it.

    Is a fallacy just anything that isn't pure deductive logic?

    There was talk of "jumps" on another thread on this forum. Are those not allowed?

  7. #17
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    I don't get it.
    Is a fallacy just anything that isn't pure deductive logic?
    Well, it's basically saying that something's so, when it's not clear it is.

    So yes, it's a gap in logic.

    And yes:
    You can use intuition.
    But you have to label it as intuition rather than as evidence or conclusive.

    A fallacy is an assumption that is claimed to be truth when it can't be shown to be and can be shown to possibly NOT be.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  8. #18
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, it's basically saying that something's so, when it's not clear it is.

    So yes, it's a gap in logic.

    And yes:
    You can use intuition.
    But you have to label it as intuition rather than as evidence or conclusive.

    A fallacy is an assumption that is claimed to be truth when it can't be shown to be and can be shown to possibly NOT be.
    Ah. Well, NOT using fallacies is pretty impossible then. Carry on.

  9. #19
    Babylon Candle Venom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,128

    Default

    could someone build an example of said iron man fallacy???

    im aware of what a strawman is....but im unsure of how to come up with an example of this iron man...

  10. #20
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    could someone build an example of said iron man fallacy???

    im aware of what a strawman is....but im unsure of how to come up with an example of this iron man...
    Opposite of straw man.

    Straw man is misrepresenting the author's view and in effect representing it as weaker than it really is. Iron Man is distorting the author's viewpoint and representing it as something stronger than it really is.

    For example. A Christian fundamentalist may argue Jesus literally rose from the dead. Certain Christian philosophers have argued that the Christian position is not nearly as absurd as it appears. The argument does not actually state the Jesus physically rose from the dead. Its actually meant to be interpreted allegorically and there is a complex metaphysical system to support this view, or so they would maintain the writers of the Bible framed their argument.

    Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    why would you call that a fallacy?

    Same reason as why you'd call a Strawman a fallacy, because it misrepresents the author's viewpoint.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Similar Threads

  1. The Mandarin in Iron Man 3: Your opinion? **contains spoilers**
    By The Great One in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-12-2013, 03:11 PM
  2. The smartest man in the world is a bar bouncer
    By swordpath in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 03-03-2013, 08:36 PM
  3. Iron Man sells his soul to The Dark Knight craze...
    By The Ü™ in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-24-2012, 01:37 PM
  4. Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor...
    By The Ü™ in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-08-2010, 12:20 PM
  5. The selfless man...
    By The Ü™ in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-14-2007, 09:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO