• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The random philosophy thought thread

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Have something philosophy related that you want to post, but not sure where to post it? Post it here.

Like pictures, quotes, funny memes, random philosophical musings, etc.

tumblr_lpqc0qCHaM1qk9g6x.jpg

LonestarCowgirl

If God is for me, who can be against me? No one, not even the devil himself..for the God of peace within me crushes him under my feet. I'm NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ OR CHRIST'S LOVE: for it's the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believes. If being charismatic and experiencing the supernatural power of the Holy Spirit means I'm insane; if showing love and mercy to the unholiest of trolls means I'm a lunatic; if talking about the love of Jesus in places where angels fear to tread means I'm crazy...then I don't ever want to be sane again. So long status quo.

Pinker85

I saw this and it reminded me of the kinda sentiment expressed by quite a few on the forum:

Consciousness is a phenomenon in the zone of evolution. This world lights up to itself only where or only inasmuch as it develops, procreates new forms. Places of stagnancy slip from consciousness; they may only appear in their interplay with places of evolution.

If this is granted it follows that consciousness and discord with one's self are inseparably linked up, even that they must, as it were, be proportional to each other. This sounds a paradox, but the wisest of all times and peoples have testified to confirm it. Men and women for whom this world was lit in an unusually bright light of awareness, and who by life and word have, more than others, formed and transformed that work of art which we call humanity, testify by speech and writing or even by their very lives that more than others they have been torn by the pangs of inner discord. Let this be a consolation to him who also suffers from it. Without it nothing enduring has ever been begotten.

- Erwin Schrödinger, "Mind and Matter" (1958)

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
people who believe morals aren't subjective live in a cave....wake up and smell the coffee..

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Are we all just being slowly digested under some mushroom who's spores us a hallucinogen?

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Having a hard time?

Depressed? Lonely? Divorced? Old? Young? Gay? Straight? Transgender? Undefined blob? Abused? Dead relatives? Superhero complex? Compulsive narcissism? Lack of self-worth? Psychopathy? Sociopathy? Paedofilia? The other filia's that are too much to write out? War? Famine? Hate? Perpetual virginity? Disease? Plague? Virus? Birth defect? Corruption? Child Labour? Religious intolerance? Religious tolerance? Feminism? Men's Rights? Misogyny? Misandry? Misanthropy? Mass shootings? Genocide? Beheadings? Fossil Fuels? Global warming? Global tipping? Global cooling? Globalisation? New world order? Black people? White people? Other people? Alien abduction? Cults? Kidnapping? Offshore accounts? Falling down suddenly syndrome? Stress causes by banks controlling stuff? Illuminati? Stalkers? Violence? Typology prejudice? Nihilism? Lack of focus? Lack of sleep? Lack of lack? Unhappy with work? Unhappy with relationships? Unhappy with life? Unhappy with existence? Unhappy with systems of biology informed by a mass of information we are only a minute grain of sand's worth in understanding? And some other stuff?

Well, don't worry about it.........because now there is my best selling book: "You and absolutely fucking everything else: The key to understanding that nothing needs to make sense!"

Order now and receive a free copy of my previous work: "Adulthood: Everybody gets it but you; time to learn about stuff n shit!"

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9?
Instinctual Variant
sp
In The Dust Of This Planet - Radiolab

The appeal of nihilism for millennials. Including me, unfortunately.

Cool podcast, thought I know it's old.

I get sucked dry with stupid "philosophical" thoughts almost daily thanks to the internet, so might as well: for some strange reason, the whole "we are insignificant and meaningless" thing never bothers me. I can't make myself feel the full horror - my fear goes more towards the notion that I'm dealing with it wrong. I can tear myself up over that, over what to do and how to approach it, but the notion itself? A non-issue. If anything, if we and our behavior is an evolutionary fluke, all the better, let's see where we can go and what kind of cool stuff we can do. Why is that supposed to be bad? I'm much more worried about what to do with my life, what's the best way to live in the world we have now, etc.

Maybe I'm just dumb.

Oh, and pessimism....god, I don't know. I'm not sure where I'd fall in that group regarding where things in the world are going. How the hell am I supposed to know? Yeah, bad things happen every day - so do good things. I'm too trusting of people's intentions and interminably idealistic, so there's my bias, though I at least try to modify it with reality without going full-on darkness-equals-realism. What is there to say, except the news is so much fricking fearmongering, be careful with it.

"Why do we call all our generous ideas illusions, and the mean ones truths? Isn't a sufficient condemnation of society to find oneself accepting such phraseology?"

GIjade

MBTI Type
INFJ
"… Every great religion in the world — Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism — essentially comes down to: “Do unto others as you would like them to do unto you.” What I have believed in my whole life — I believed it when I was a 22-year-old kid getting arrested in Chicago fighting segregation — I’ve believed it in my whole life.

That we are in this together — not just, not words. The truth is at some level when you hurt, when your children hurt, I hurt. I hurt. And when my kids hurt, you hurt. And it’s very easy to turn our backs on kids who are hungry, or veterans who are sleeping out on the street, and we can develop a psyche, a psychology which is “I don’t have to worry about them; all I’m gonna worry about is myself; I need to make another 5 billion dollars.”

But I believe that what human nature is about is that everybody in this room impacts everybody else in all kinds of ways that we can’t even understand. It’s beyond intellect. It’s a spiritual, emotional thing. So I believe that when we do the right thing, when we try to treat people with respect and dignity, when we say that that child who is hungry is my child, I think we are more human when we do that, than when we say “hey, this whole world is me, I need more and more, I don’t care about anyone else.” That’s my religion. That’s what I believe in.

And I think most people around the world — whatever their religion, their color — share that belief. That we are in it together as human beings. And it becomes more and more practical. If we destroy the planet because we don’t deal with climate change. Trust me, we are all in it together… and that is what my spirituality is about."

-Bernie Sanders

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Cool podcast, thought I know it's old.
Radiolab is the best. :cheers: All their stuff is that good.

I get sucked dry with stupid "philosophical" thoughts almost daily thanks to the internet, so might as well: for some strange reason, the whole "we are insignificant and meaningless" thing never bothers me. I can't make myself feel the full horror - my fear goes more towards the notion that I'm dealing with it wrong. I can tear myself up over that, over what to do and how to approach it, but the notion itself? A non-issue. If anything, if we and our behavior is an evolutionary fluke, all the better, let's see where we can go and what kind of cool stuff we can do. Why is that supposed to be bad? I'm much more worried about what to do with my life, what's the best way to live in the world we have now, etc.

Maybe I'm just dumb.
I mean, if you aren't terrified of the possibility of eternal non-existence in the meaningless abyss, then more power to you. I wouldn't call that being "dumb" at all.

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9?
Instinctual Variant
sp
I mean, if you aren't terrified of the possibility of eternal non-existence in the meaningless abyss, then more power to you. I wouldn't call that being "dumb" at all.

Hahaha, I won't be conscious when it happens, so why worry? It's the transition that's scary to think about.

And how to cope with nihilistic reality while alive, aware, and inherently predisposed to assign value and interpret with meaning.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The idea that I could "end" is scary. I don't want to end. I want to live forever. I want to be Immortal.

Its not just a selfish thing, though there is alot of that too. If I cease to be conscious, the world ends. In order for the world to exist, one must be conscious of it. And only "I" exist as "I". I am the only "I" who the world can be perceived through.

The world as will, perhaps not, but the world as representation, at least...

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Having a hard time?

Depressed? Lonely? Divorced? Old? Young? Gay? Straight? Transgender? Undefined blob? Abused? Dead relatives? Superhero complex? Compulsive narcissism? Lack of self-worth? Psychopathy? Sociopathy? Paedofilia? The other filia's that are too much to write out? War? Famine? Hate? Perpetual virginity? Disease? Plague? Virus? Birth defect? Corruption? Child Labour? Religious intolerance? Religious tolerance? Feminism? Men's Rights? Misogyny? Misandry? Misanthropy? Mass shootings? Genocide? Beheadings? Fossil Fuels? Global warming? Global tipping? Global cooling? Globalisation? New world order? Black people? White people? Other people? Alien abduction? Cults? Kidnapping? Offshore accounts? Falling down suddenly syndrome? Stress causes by banks controlling stuff? Illuminati? Stalkers? Violence? Typology prejudice? Nihilism? Lack of focus? Lack of sleep? Lack of lack? Unhappy with work? Unhappy with relationships? Unhappy with life? Unhappy with existence? Unhappy with systems of biology informed by a mass of information we are only a minute grain of sand's worth in understanding? And some other stuff?

Well, don't worry about it.........because now there is my best selling book: "You and absolutely fucking everything else: The key to understanding that nothing needs to make sense!"

Order now and receive a free copy of my previous work: "Adulthood: Everybody gets it but you; time to learn about stuff n shit!"

If I order RIGHT now and pay by credit card do I get a free set of steak knives that can cut through literally anything?

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9?
Instinctual Variant
sp
Thanks (indirectly) to this thread I spent the last two days torn to pieces over moral nihilism. I've come down from the high, but one thing stays: my inner psychodrama, with which I am heavily identified, is not going to go away because I figured out my standards and ideals are random and arbitrary as any other set of expectations or desires. How to reconcile them, though? Especially if, as some claim, values themselves are not real (something I can't be convinced of, honestly). My perceptions of better/worse, worthwhile/not persist, even knowing and trying to remind myself they're arbitrary...I'm kind of starting to not care and want to act on them anyway.

But is it justified, seeing as it ignores fundamental truths?