• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The random philosophy thought thread

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
Is "my religion is the only true religion" the equivalent of "my imaginary dick is bigger than yours"?

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Is "my religion is the only true religion" the equivalent of "my imaginary dick is bigger than yours"?

Not that I'm religious, but same to those who proclaim a lack of too.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Here's a philosophical question:

Does Evee believe to be Anne Frank herself reincarnated?

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9?
Instinctual Variant
sp
If you know everything is objectively meaningless (or rather, has no meaning), how can one reconcile a need for personally meaningful things?

Because in my mind, I kind of...don't care. My thoughts basically go that, well, it's "meaningful" in the limited sense of providing deep feelings to this human unit in her short lifetime...maybe it will affect other people too as a little something in their lives. Why do I give a crap what the unthinking universe thinks? I do however care what other thinking humans think, so I guess that's what holds me back. That and knowing that no amount of intellectual knowledge of meaninglessness is going to make the feelings go away, so might as well reconcile them.

Probably just confusing myself.

GIjade

MBTI Type
INFJ
If you know everything is objectively meaningless (or rather, has no meaning), how can one reconcile a need for personally meaningful things?

Because in my mind, I kind of...don't care. My thoughts basically go that, well, it's "meaningful" in the limited sense of providing deep feelings to this human unit in her short lifetime...maybe it will affect other people too as a little something in their lives. Why do I give a crap what the unthinking universe thinks? I do however care what other thinking humans think, so I guess that's what holds me back. That and knowing that no amount of intellectual knowledge of meaninglessness is going to make the feelings go away, so might as well reconcile them.

Probably just confusing myself.

Holds you back from what?

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Even if there is for sure no god. I would still be comfortable with one who knows she isn't the center of the universe or multiverse or whatever and puts an imaginary being there in its place.

I'm an agnostic.

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
Otto Lilienthal's final words (translated) were "Sacrifices must be made!" after crashing his glider headfirst into the ground, 1896.

What a guy :blush:

GIjade

MBTI Type
INFJ
From doing anything?

OK, but I guess that answer is still confusing to me with regard to what you wrote here:
Why do I give a crap what the unthinking universe thinks? I do however care what other thinking humans think, so I guess that's what holds me back. That and knowing that no amount of intellectual knowledge of meaninglessness is going to make the feelings go away, so might as well reconcile them.

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
kanye-and-noam-jester.jpg

KN-toothpaste.jpg

KN-fashion-plate.jpg

KN-Hypothetical-Martian.jpg

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Even though I consider myself agnostic, and like to believe there is so spiritual or omni-potent being behind the universe, I cannot think that it makes the most sense that there could not be, if one were to consider how ruthless, terrible and cruel life can be.

It's easy to believe a little in a higher power when you live in a 1st world country, and yet when you look at the world it seems to be the opposite. Yet, I cannot refute there seems to be a some kind of a supernatural and un-definable presence or force in the world.

It makes one conclude that, I don't know. Maybe death is not all that bad, but then why is pain? I like to think that maybe it is a test, but...I cannot think that it's a little elaborate and pointless. We are star dust in an infinite sea of space matter and rock. What we see and look out towards is what we ourselves are. But yet we continue this charade.

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
But I think this is sort of what is the problem with the world, is that generally, it's almost too frightening and painful to really face your own mortality and fragility.

We are simply not made to last forever, and I think if anything religion should serve to make us more comfortable with this fact.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Philosophy often feels pointless to discuss considering nothing can really be proven nor disproven. They can be reasoned through logic. But even so, we can't really prove or disprove a certainty of such a being existing or not.

Which is why I end up just Agnostic because I'm aware of how little we know. I cannot possibly be 'Atheist' with any true confidence. But at the same time, whatever our purpose, whether driven by some essence or simply our own. We must make something out of it, for focusing on the fear and insignificance we perceive won't help anything. I have always felt there was something more, but even so that in itself cannot be proven trustworthy nor would I know if any such "Force" would be intellectual or just energy, the Universe itself. Or both. Somehow. It always fascinates me to speak of it, and humans become obsessed with and grab onto it, trying to identify this "essence" into a human like form. A human like understanding. Through all these gods shaped liked humans and undergoing human temptations and pains. Mythology.

I generally end up considering there being an energy within everything like "the force" in star wars. Also within us all, that holds everything together. Doesn't mean it's particularly intelligent nor do I truly consider it a God. But in the end, no matter what we discover we all stick to our own understandings and interpretations of everything. When people cling to their religion and think they're right, it continues to astound me with their certainty. They all create this reality that exist within their minds, and they become identified with it. There religion takes over their life, an institution built to control the masses. My own family is religious, and my own Father is completely dependent in it. He grows passionate, quotes it, judges in accordance to it without question. Believes he hears God through prayer. Though I never did back in the day when I gave it a chance. Even if I did I'd still question it. It frustrates me in truth. Why do they hold to such solidity when I continue to question everything to the point of perceived insanity? Why do they think they know what cannot be known? Self Deception?

But yes. Humanity fears death. So scientists scramble to create ways to survive past death. To thrive, and never die. To never leave this world, clinging fiercely to their sense of identities. But as I've seen my own grandmother on her death bed fade away... It reminded me how strange death can seem. One minute they're an identity, the next reveals nothing but a shell. One day it all slips away.

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
Life hosts a manifold of platitudes and it is very difficult for me to ascertain "the truth" because *gasp* I am a being of will also!

Is one ever healthy to separate themselves from their will? I don't think enough challenge their conditioned self, while others find too much at fault with their proclivities. The latter saddens me worst - it is never the vile nature I see rejected in man, it is always an unrequited compassion.

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9?
Instinctual Variant
sp
Someday, we need someone to lay out what the "harsh truths" of life are. And something that isn't ridiculously subjective, blatantly obvious, so emotionally invalidating it's a better reason for suicide than perseverance, or a mindless platitude.

Zangetshumody

MBTI Type
INTJ
I see intersectionality, feminism, PC-stuff, "liberal" rhetoric...

I just think:

People are forgetting how to understand, just like how Adam Smith said they would.

---
Its easy to brand things, "good" and "the enemy", and to trump up issues into a oversimplified polarity: there are no quick fixes, because nothing has just one face, and nothing is just one thing.

Stop thinking black and white, or the next time around, the quick fix gets more starkly simple and blunt until it becomes savage, when the people decide to start using blatant atrocity to fix the instability they've backed themselves into, cause of all the running away from the guile of "the enemy".
---

Its not fun watching fascism grow in my country, and all the cool uni kids don't care cause black-nationalism can't be "fascist" in their world view.

---
relative privilege must always exist unless we find a way to vaccinate against all forms of liberty: if you want to change something, it requires involvement on the ground. Complaints are not involvement. Demands are not involvement.

Be the change, don't beg for privileges by advocating self-harm to the "established".

Destabilizing a structure doesn't promise to reveal a pot of gold under the rubble, wake up.

Non-policy based revolution is reactionary, non-policy based revolution is fascism. A real revolution is not the promise of an alternative*, it is the alternative, if you can't describe how your alternative will work, your a reactionary fascist-shill.

*like, what does that even mean— when people have this vague idea, that 'somehow' promises, to be 'totally different!'. If that were even true, you could of had those polcies published on the net, and eventually win an election somewhere, but this hasn't happened: because these sorts of people don't really care, they are power-sycophants, and wannabe tyrants, the basic fall-back tendencies of all of the proto-fascist "liberals" that can't pick up the historical accounts of Nazi rhetoric that their ideologically replicating in with their identical strategies.
-

Demands that are made on reality, contain further demands for the consequences thereof. Because, (like Jung said,) what you resist, persists. The question is more like: How can I/You do it differently, don't rely on the debtor's plea of relinquishing responsibility and integrity.

-

this has been my Public Service announcement for the politically misguided peoples that require spiritual edification so as to help avert the great looming crises.

---

Last edited: