User Tag List

12311 Last

Sniffles

Default The Beauty of Catholicism

Can't argue with this

[youtube=SCot5L54-dE]YouTube - The Beauty of Tradition[/youtube]
    Last edited by Sniffles; 08-29-2008 at 01:24 PM.

MBTI
    intp

I found it odd that the pull I had towards Catholicism as a child could be attributed basically to aesthetic appreciation, and not to any of the Church's dogma.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by IF3157 View Post
    I found it odd that the pull I had towards Catholicism as a child could be attributed basically to aesthetic appreciation, and not to any of the Church's dogma.
    It's a very flamboyant and ritualistic church. The drama of the Mass (the Eucharistic Prayer, in particular) is readily apparent even to a young child.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    It's a very flamboyant and ritualistic church. The drama of the Mass (the Eucharistic Prayer, in particular) is readily apparent even to a young child.
    Yes, I have to admit, I'm partly interested in going too just because of the aesthetics, as I try to reground my life.

People do tend to confuse aesthetics (or at least how something makes them feel) with "exclusive truth" unfortunately.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP

IF3157 has spoken of something which I've long felt... it's a pet (and unoriginal, obviously) theory of mine that people are attracted to certain faiths more due to aesthetic concerns than for their moral understandings... the fact of the matter is that the Big Four faiths (Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism... I speak in terms of population and ease of conversion) all share certain core moral beliefs... where they differ in dogma with each other they just as often differ within themselves and various sub-sects... you could establish very similar doctrinal positions coming from any of these, if not other faiths... the issue may be aesthetics... and naturally most people born into a faith tend not to convert to an outside faith because they've become aestheticized, as it were, to a particular set of forms and practices...

Catholicism offers a very ornate, though to one who has spent any time with it also clear, set of traditions which are easily appreciable even by the Godless... the stupendous churches, the wealth of artwork by Catholics, the long tradition of Gregorian chanting and, in general, Catholic musical forms, the mass of literature by countless world-class intellectuals... what's not to like?

As someone who tries not to align strictly with any particular faith, I found it quite easy to get lost in Catholic spirituality when I spent time in Firenze (Florence)... and Catholicism, while it can be very doctrinaire, also has a more catholic (!) side to it, as evidenced by someone like St. Francis of Assisi.

It's unarguably a fantastically rich tradition / set of traditions.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    INTj

It wasn't the aesthetics that drew me in so much as the calisthenics. Kneel, stand, sit, kneel, stand. . . I loved the activity of it all.

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

Hahaha. Catholicism is great, I believe. Mostly because of the universal symbology you can find in the portraits, sermons, rituals, etc. It's like a cosmic dance. Very aesthetic.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Eldanen View Post
    Hahaha. Catholicism is great, I believe. Mostly because of the universal symbology you can find in the portraits, sermons, rituals, etc. It's like a cosmic dance. Very aesthetic.
    Yes, which appeals to sensory appetites . . . the sounds, the sights, etc. Yet it is a religion that does not exactly preach appreciation for the pleasures of the flesh. So having aesthetics as its chief appeal is what I found odd.

MBTI
    INFP

I know that Catholicism is too large for me, and I have not yet explored its beautiful or terrible truths.... (G. K. Chesterton, The Catholic Church and Conversion, Chapter V, "The Exception Proves The Rule")
    "There can be no understanding between the hands and the head unless the heart acts as mediator." (Metropolis, 1927)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP

Yes, which appeals to sensory appetites . . . the sounds, the sights, etc. Yet it is a religion that does not exactly preach appreciation for the pleasures of the flesh. So having aesthetics as its chief appeal is what I found odd.
    Paradoxes of Catholicism by Msgr. Robert Hugh Benson.
    "There can be no understanding between the hands and the head unless the heart acts as mediator." (Metropolis, 1927)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]