• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Beauty of Catholicism

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm very Catholic (not Roman though), through and through. But I still don't see much beautiful in all the kids dying of AIDS in Africa because the Pope won't let them wear condoms. I also don't see much beautiful in the Pope telling me that despite all the world's scientific opinion and declarations by the UN and WHO etc, that my identity as a male is invalid and I therefore cannot become a priest or even receive communion in an RC church unless I 'changed back' to female. I would, literally, rather die.

TrueHeart

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm very Catholic (not Roman though), through and through. But I still don't see much beautiful in all the kids dying of AIDS in Africa because the Pope won't let them wear condoms.
Which kids? Name two.

Besides, exactly why would people who don't follow the Church's teaching against fornication nonetheless follow the Church's teachings against artificial birth control?

Or... were you attempting to make a point that simply escapes me?

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I find myself unable to engage in debate with you, sorry. If that's seriously the level you're operating on, carry on by all means. There's no way in there.

S

Sniffles

The aesthetics of religion can truely be appreciated by anyone, believer or no. And yes there are those attracted to Catholicism merely for those purposes. But without a geniune sense of spirituality, such aesthetics are empty of any true meaning.

So my own sense of faith in Catholicism is not based enxclusively on aesthetics. Ultimately, it's based upon geniune faith in our Lord Christ. Aesthetics helps bring forth beauty to more appreciate the greatness of God.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It is beautiful. I am also Catholic but I don't practice anymore. My parents are still very devout. Sometimes I miss it. I did all of my schooling at Catholic all-girls schools too so it's kind a part of me that I could not shake if I wanted to.

S

Sniffles

Various reasons. Largely as an outgrowth of my general disgust with the institutional Church. Like my namesakes, I adhere to Catholicism but despise the "Church" on many levels.

Ironically much evidence shows that Catholic schools do much to harm peoples' faith in the long run rather than help it. I certainly see it in my personal experiences with many graduates - who often are among the biggest sluts, morons, and other degenerates I know of.

In all honesty, I think attending a Catholic school probably would've done much damage to my sense of faith.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
You know Catholicism has serious problems when not even Holy Roman Emperor stand up for it.*

Giacomo Biffi so worked Falcarius out when he said that the modern Antichrist was most likely now disguised as a philanthropist supporting creeds like vegetarianism, animal rights or pacifism, or advocating dialogue with Orthodox or Anglican believers.:devil:

* And no Peguy, Falcarius is 99% sure that 'Holy Roman Emperor' is not one of his duplicate accounts, but he does do strange things when he is drunk.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I do not think going to a catholic school contributes more to someone becoming a slut, moron, or degenerate, as there are just as many or more coming from other types of schooling as well. Also, Catholic schooling did not detract from my faith one bit. Anyone who tells you that is lying.

S

Sniffles

I do not think going to a catholic school contributes more to someone becoming a slut, moron, or degenerate, as there are just as many or more coming from other types of schooling as well.

I don't deny that. Im just stating that from personal experience many of the worst of the worst commonly come from them.

But this merely a secondary reason why I generally don't like Catholic schools.

TrueHeart

MBTI Type
INFP
I find myself unable to engage in debate with you, sorry. If that's seriously the level you're operating on, carry on by all means. There's no way in there.
I admire your honesty: not many people can admit they're in over their heads.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I would very much like to convert to Catholicism, which freaks out my Protestant friends, but I'm fairly determined.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I didn't know you were Catholic, EffEm. I've been thinking about going back too.

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
I heard that Catholic style weddings are the rage in Japan, but they do it just for the visuals.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
We'd love to have you. You know, we get to drink wine at church!

Well, thanks you. :X I'm a sucker for a religious guy with booze.

I've been giving this serious thought for quite a while. I was raised in the Scottish Presbyterian tradition, like it has been in my family for over 350 years. I mean, even my ancestors who came over on the boat in the 1590's were Protestant. We must've got in on the ground floor of that movement. lol So it's going against a great deal of history for me, but I just don't connect to Protestant views, and the first time I sat in a Catholic mass, I felt my whole body relax, like it made sense. Of course, I've upset family and friends in the process, but I know it's the right thing to do, so I'm just going to give them time to adjust.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ

I've been giving this serious thought for quite a while. I was raised in the Scottish Presbyterian tradition, like it has been in my family for over 350 years. I mean, even my ancestors who came over on the boat in the 1590's were Protestant. We must've got in on the ground floor of that movement. lol So it's going against a great deal of history for me, but I just don't connect to Protestant views, and the first time I sat in a Catholic mass, I felt my whole body relax, like it made sense. Of course, I've upset family and friends in the process, but I know it's the right thing to do, so I'm just going to give them time to adjust.

That's called boredom.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I didn't know you were Catholic, EffEm. I've been thinking about going back too.

Well, I don't actually go all that often. But I still say I'm Catholic because I think to an extent it's as much ethnic/cultural as religious, kinda like Judaism. Besides, if I ever broke ties, my aunt the nun would kill me ;)