User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Sniffles

Anyways, for those interested(especially LadyJane) here's a wonderful video of a High Latin Mass celebrating the Feast of the Sacred Heart:
    [youtube=enWiFcsBqIE]Traditional Latin Mass: Feast of the Sacred Heart[/youtube]

Although I'll warn you, it's an hour long.

For those who can't sit that long, here's a shorter video of a Latin Mass - 10min.
    [youtube=rfm5Y5MwZqQ] A Tridentine Mass[/youtube]

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    If that happened, I think the flood would've happened much much much earlier and God would've started over again.
    Then at least we'd know God doesn't have a sense of humor.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Then again, you could just say that Jesus hung out with the sinners and hookers and street raff, not the posh fancy uppercrust crowd, and he was also born in a stable, not a palace... so is the chalice REALLY appropriate as opposed to the beer mug here?
    I think the point is that it's showing OUR reverence for HIM, not his reverence for himself... but yeah I see what you mean. Personally I'd be happy with a wooden cup ffs...

IOW, WWJDHOBOO?
    (What would jesus drink his own blood out of?)
    I actually laughed out loud when I read that and it's a good thing I procrastinated pouring the coffee cos otherwise my keyboard would be covered with it by now. I think I laughed similarly though when, in a SPCK shop in town, I came across for the first time those wrist bands with WWJD on them...

I remember when the shift seemed to happen, it was when AIDS was starting to get really prominent in the 80's.
    Figures. Even though you can't catch it from saliva...

The church I went to was usually once a month. It was funny when an influx of Catholics migrated to the church, because then there was disagreement over how often to have it. The Catholics were used to it weekly.
    Yeah most RC churches I know of do it daily, though only the 'hardcore' are there every day, most yeah, it's weekly. My hardcore-ness tends to fluctuate
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

The Beauty of Mary.

[youtube=fbeXnLOv7xg]YouTube - Ave Maria[/youtube]

Sniffles

Very beautiful Hmm. Here's another good one:

[youtube=d5p_U8J0iRQ] Gregorian Chant - "Salve Regina"[/youtube]

Hail, holy Queen, Mother of Mercy!
    Our life, our sweetness, and our hope!

To thee do we cry, poor banished
    children of Eve, to thee do we send
    up our sighs, mourning and weeping
    in this valley, of tears.

Turn, then, most gracious advocate,
    thine eyes of mercy toward us; and
    after this our exile show unto us the
    blessed fruit of thy womb Jesus;
    O clement, O loving, O sweet virgin Mary.

Pray for us, O holy Mother of God
    That we may be made worthy of the
    promises of Christ.

MBTI
    ENTP

It is very beautiful, these sorts of things... but I'm just very wary of getting too tied up in sentimentalism as it can so easily slide into... and in forgetting that something being beautiful doesn't automatically make it right or true... consider Pamela Anderson

I think I reached a stage of my Catholicism where I figured it's vital to keep a critical eye out and not get too sorta 'snug' amidst the glow of the candles and the spine-tingling chants of the monks of Mont St Michel... :/

I spent too much of my time memorizing entire medieval almanacks and thinking I was getting it all because I was able to immerse myself in all this... in fact I was so busy doing that that I was actually missing the real point of it all...
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I actually laughed out loud when I read that and it's a good thing I procrastinated pouring the coffee cos otherwise my keyboard would be covered with it by now. I think I laughed similarly though when, in a SPCK shop in town, I came across for the first time those wrist bands with WWJD on them...
    I'm glad you laughed, for it will give me something to recall fondly as I am burning in hell for my numerous sacrileges.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'm glad you laughed, for it will give me something to recall fondly as I am burning in hell for my numerous sacrileges.
    Eh, we can pass an eternity laughing together as our behinds are roasted and prodded with the forks of little demons

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    It is very beautiful, these sorts of things... but I'm just very wary of getting too tied up in sentimentalism as it can so easily slide into... and in forgetting that something being beautiful doesn't automatically make it right or true... consider Pamela Anderson
    Of course. I commented on this earlier that without a geniune and firm spiritual base, such aesthetics become meaningless. I firmly believe in aesthetics, but am a staunch critic of Aestheticism - especially in regards to religious truth.

I see it this way: if the problem we had in the past was an overconcentration on aesthetics at the expense of greater truth; the grave problem we have today is the near total neglect of aesthetics which has lead to the neglect of the greater truth.

"Beauty will save the world" as Dostoevsky explained.

MBTI
    ENTP

Yeah Peguy, though I'm not sure where you get that aesthetics is neglected... not sure what Roman Catholicism is like in your part of the world but it's pretty aesthetic here... lol

Actually it's a total myth by the way, that medieval Catholicism concentrated on looks at the expense of substance. In actual fact pretty much every little ritual, every aspect of every ritual, every convention, tradition, even the gestures during a litany or liturgy, they all have behind them reams of theology... the shame comes in when that stuff has become lost due to a received perception, which goes unchallenged, this 'official story' of how it's all meaningless and not the substance... that people have lost the meaning behind it all has made it meaningless when originally it was anything but.

In fact for the illiterate medieval person, it was their way of accessing the substance on a regular basis.

Ever read 'The Stripping of the Altars' by Eamonn Duffy? Fascinating stuff.