First 56789 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by TrueHeart View Post
    The Methodist churches I know about use glasses that do indeed look like shot glasses.
    Most of the protestant churches seem to use the little disposable plastic shot, but I think I remember when I was growing up using glassier ones that did resemble shot glasses.

"This is the blood of Jack Daniels, given for you -- amen!"

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Lutheran churches usually have a chalice and offer individual cup as an option.
    I used the chalice when I was younger, especially when I did the candle lighting. I have also seen people, to avoid contaminating the cup, keep with the chalice but hand out the bread right before it so you could "dip it" in the chalice and then eat the bread which was now sopped in the wine -- two in one shot so to speak.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP

Yeah Jennifer I see that in Anglican churches too, the bread dunking thing. When I'm presiding or altar-serving at a Eucharist, by far the most common thing though is the president (ie priest usually) goes round with a patten (plate) of small round wafers and gives one into the hands of each person kneeling at the altar rail, and following him is the chalice bearer who just puts the chalice to the lips of each person in a row, wiping it between each person with a purificator (linen towel). Some people dunk, but most just sip from the chalice.

The reason for wiping the chalice though isn't to do with hygeine, it's so none of the blood of Christ falls onto the floor.

Sometimes, if the congregation is small, both patten and chalice are just passed around from person to person.

I've never been to a church where individual 'shots' of wine were passed around. I think I'd have a problem with that ....
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    ...I've never been to a church where individual 'shots' of wine were passed around. I think I'd have a problem with that ....
    Wow. The Lutheran church is the only church I have been to where they DID do the chalice. Everywhere else (methodist, baptist, non-denom, brethren in christ, evangelical) they do the little cheapo plastic shots... of grape juice.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

At the bluehair Baptist church where my grandparents took me occasionally when I was a kid, there were little shotglass holders built into the backs of the pews so everyone would have a shot of grape drank in front of them when they did communion. I think they only did it 4 or 5 times a year, though. In the Anglican church it's done at nearly every service.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Wow. The Lutheran church is the only church I have been to where they DID do the chalice. Everywhere else (methodist, baptist, non-denom, brethren in christ, evangelical) they do the little cheapo plastic shots... of grape juice.
    It might have to do with what it is that you believe yourself to actually be doing. If you're handling bread and wine in remembrance of Jesus, but it's still bread and wine, then I guess you'd be fine with sloshing it into little plastic cups and stuff... lol but if you're dealing with the actual blood and body of Jesus (transubstatiation) then you'd want to have a little more reverence... hence the silver/gold chalices and pattens, the great reverence of where it goes and ends up, how it gets there etc, haha... see what I mean?

I guess for me though it's also largely a feeling of how wasteful and un-green it is to be using dozens of little plastic cups every time when it could be one reusable chalice... and also it irritates me when people are too precious about 'germs' and stuff.

Then again it also depends on how often it's done too, possibly - for me a Eucharist is every day, at the very least once a week, and it's the actual body and blood of Our Lord. I've heard though of some Protestant churches who do it once a month, if at all.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Sniffles

"This is the blood of Jack Daniels, given for you -- amen!"
    "Ahhh.....I don't think I got enough of Jesus' blood last time around, can I have another one?"

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    It might have to do with what it is that you believe yourself to actually be doing. If you're handling bread and wine in remembrance of Jesus, but it's still bread and wine, then I guess you'd be fine with sloshing it into little plastic cups and stuff... lol but if you're dealing with the actual blood and body of Jesus (transubstatiation) then you'd want to have a little more reverence... hence the silver/gold chalices and pattens, the great reverence of where it goes and ends up, how it gets there etc, haha... see what I mean?
    Totally.

Then again, you could just say that Jesus hung out with the sinners and hookers and street raff, not the posh fancy uppercrust crowd, and he was also born in a stable, not a palace... so is the chalice REALLY appropriate as opposed to the beer mug here?

IOW, WWJDHOBOO?
    (What would jesus drink his own blood out of?)

I guess for me though it's also largely a feeling of how wasteful and un-green it is to be using dozens of little plastic cups every time when it could be one reusable chalice... and also it irritates me when people are too precious about 'germs' and stuff.
    I remember when the shift seemed to happen, it was when AIDS was starting to get really prominent in the 80's.

Then again it also depends on how often it's done too, possibly - for me a Eucharist is every day, at the very least once a week, and it's the actual body and blood of Our Lord. I've heard though of some Protestant churches who do it once a month, if at all.
    The church I went to was usually once a month. It was funny when an influx of Catholics migrated to the church, because then there was disagreement over how often to have it. The Catholics were used to it weekly.

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    "Ahhh.....I don't think I got enough of Jesus' blood last time around, can I have another one?"
    "Yeah -- another round of Jesus juice, for me and my friends here! *hic*"

Oh dear. Is it bad form to kiss the porcelain god after communing too much?

Sniffles

Then again, you could just say that Jesus hung out with the sinners and hookers and street raff, not the posh fancy uppercrust crowd, and he was also born in a stable, not a palace... so is the chalice REALLY appropriate as opposed to the beer mug here?
    But of course we're talking about honouring God's blood and body, so you want to present your best to him. Remember Cain and Abel, and how God treated their different sacrifices?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    But of course we're talking about honouring God's blood and body, so you want to present your best to him. Remember Cain and Abel, and how God treated their different sacrifices?
    Oh, don't confuse the issue by dragging that OT pre-Jesus stuff into your blog!

(jk)

It's confusing, isn't it?
    Is it "Caesar Jesus" or "Buddy Jesus" that we are dealing with most of the time?

Now that I think of it, though, I don't think Cain and Abel were about 'presenting your best.' Both gave their best offering. But Cain was resentful because God asked for something specific and he insisted on giving him something else -- something that did not involve blood.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Oh, goody. Are we going to have a lord-off? I'll pop the kettle corn!
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii