User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    I would very much like to convert to Catholicism, which freaks out my Protestant friends, but I'm fairly determined.
    I used to be a Methodist.
    "There can be no understanding between the hands and the head unless the heart acts as mediator." (Metropolis, 1927)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

I love the mass because it's a whole sensory experience--the icons, the music, the incense, the movement, the tastes of the elements...

And I love the notion of a kind of ... bringing the past (all the angels, archangels, company of heaven) into the present to be part of this large "body." I'm a sucker for the collective, I guess. Mass is ALL ABOUT the collective. I FREAKIN' LOVE IT.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I found the whole going to church experience incredibly drab. Some of the longest hours of my life. I went to a black church a couple times, now that is an entirely different experience.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    I heard that Catholic style weddings are the rage in Japan, but they do it just for the visuals.
    Well, Japan is also the country known for laser-light-show funerals for rich people, so that kinda makes sense.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I found the whole going to church experience incredibly drab. Some of the longest hours of my life. I went to a black church a couple times, now that is an entirely different experience.
    I was always happy that Catholic Masses were about 45 minutes long, except for big feast days. I felt bad for Protestant kids who went to services that were like two hours, with tons of readings and songs and an ungodly (no pun intended) long sermon.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Default Straws in the Wind

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I love the mass because it's a whole sensory experience--the icons, the music, the incense, the movement, the tastes of the elements...

And I love the notion of a kind of ... bringing the past (all the angels, archangels, company of heaven) into the present to be part of this large "body." I'm a sucker for the collective, I guess. Mass is ALL ABOUT the collective. I FREAKIN' LOVE IT.
    This is startlingly true. Startling because, at least in our minds, we live in the Age of The Individual - gosh, we even have individual rights.

But the Age of the Individual is only very recent and coincides with the rise of universal literacy in the West.

But the Age of Literacy is passing and we are entering the Noosphere based on the electronic media.

The Noosphere is the global village, the tribal village. And if the Noosphere is anything at all, it is collective.

And this is why catholics are important - because they can teach us how to live safely in a collective.

So far our minds have not caught up with the historic change from the literate individual to the collective Noosphere.

But already there are straws in the wind - and this post is one of them.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    I didn't know you were Catholic, EffEm. I've been thinking about going back too.
    Please come back Hmm. We'd love to have you back!

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post
    That's called boredom.
    Well, if that's how great boredom feels, then I'll gladly take it.

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Well, I don't actually go all that often. But I still say I'm Catholic because I think to an extent it's as much ethnic/cultural as religious, kinda like Judaism. Besides, if I ever broke ties, my aunt the nun would kill me
    I confess I would love to see a nun attack you. Can that be arranged?

Quote Originally Posted by TrueHeart View Post
    I used to be a Methodist.
    Were you raised Methodist, or did you join later in life?

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post

Wonderfully expressed.

I have no problem with knowing God , or myself in the relationship with him. What bothered me growing up in Protestantism is the lack of history, the lack of a past that the movement has. It was intended to expose corruption within the Catholic church, which was overdue - there was an absolute necessity for the church to be laid open and for the corrupt practices to be exposed. But we never should have stayed apart. It feels like a divorce to me, for some reason. The Catholic church has the history and ancientness that I really need. I see the Omniscience of God reflected back to me in the traditions of Mass. Something bigger and greater than myself.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    I confess I would love to see a nun attack you. Can that be arranged?
    I'm not your dancing bear! But seriously, I'm sure you could get some assistance from my family. They'd love to see it. Do I get a yardstick too, or am I unarmed?
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I'm not your dancing bear! But seriously, I'm sure you could get some assistance from my family. They'd love to see it. Do I get a yardstick too, or am I unarmed?
    If you're not my dancing bear, then why are you completely covered in hair, wearing a tutu and pedaling a tiny bike?!

If I remember correctly, nuns pack heat in the form of rulers and pieces of chalk. So you may have one piece of chalk. And each of your family members may have billyclubs. I think that's reasonable.