• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Psychics etc

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Anyone know any psychics, mediums or such? Which type are they? Are there any who aren't obviously derailed?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I would say something about psychotics but I'd have to get OT do do that. *bow*

But seriously, psychics are just thieves.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
No, not really I don't. Just interested in opinions. Those cold reading techniques are interesting stuff.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
They are actually the little known 17th type. They are called Lingual Intuitive Angelic Receptors or the LIAR.

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
If psychics can predict the future, why aren't they independently rich?

Chaotictheorist

MBTI Type
Wolf
I believe in Extra Sensor Perception but not psychics and mediums. Even ESP I don't believe to the extent some people claim. I believe in feeling presences and seeing things but that is it.

There are times when I am somewhere with or without anyone near me that I become aware of a presence that is disembodied or an imprint.

-C.T.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Now, I've (almost always) believed in God, which by itself entails belief in the paranormal. And yet when it comes to things like psychics etc, I've always been extremely cynical. A large part of the reason for this cynicism has been to do with the fact that, if I don't embrace the cynicism, then I'd have nothing blocking me from actually thinking I'm psychic, since I do have quite an alarming number of experiences that suggest this to be the case. And if I believed I was psychic, I'd sneer at myself as a fruitcake. And that cannot be. You see my dilemma.

I know a woman who believes she can see people's auras. I mean literally see them, not 'divine' them or whatever but actually see them all the time, with her naked eye. I've known this woman for several years and in all respects, she's very sane. She's highly intelligent and well educated - she has a degree in chemistry - and personality-wise, she's pretty balanced and well-adjusted. Which is disappointing, because I'd rather she was some new age nut that frolicked naked in dewy meadows under the full moon, so I could take her less seriously over the aura thing.

The kind of psychics that believe they can tell the future are a different kettle of fish, I think, to those who believe they have 'insights' into things present but hidden. And in fact, many who DO claim to see into the future say that they use these insights in order to hypothesize about the future. It's certainly no mystery that the more you understand the workings of a situation, the more accurately your predictions as to its future. Though I'm very wary of saying it, I'm open minded about the idea of there being people who are just perhaps more tuned into some things that others don't notice - as an N primary I have to confess this otherwise my whole psychology would be invalid.

As an Ne primary, I'm more than familiar with the idea of 'just knowing' something without being able to explain why, and time after time being vindicated. And then later being able to back-engineer how I knew, though at the time people just thought it was amazing - or just plain didn't believe me, or sneered at me because I couldn't produce evidence....

:thinking:

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
I know a little bit about physics, but chemistry is more my thing.

Mole

Permabanned
Quite often psychics and mediums and fortune tellers are skilled in going into a trance.

And an easy way to induce a trance in someone else is to go into a trance yourself.

But why would they want to put you in a trance?

Because in a trance your cognitive faculties go to sleep and you are open to suggestion.

In other words you are unable to criticise what they say and you are unable to experience cognitive dissonance.

So they can manipulate you for their purposes.

If you learn self hypnosis or trance induction from a sports' psychologist, the first suggestion they will make to you is, "never let anyone put you into a trance against you will".

And if anyone puts you unknowingly into a trance, this is trance abuse.

And trance abuse is very, very common from religion to advertising.

But I hope that in the future we will pass laws against trance abuse.

burkeus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTP
I know a woman who believes she can see people's auras. I mean literally see them, not 'divine' them or whatever but actually see them all the time, with her naked eye.

Can you please explain what an aura is? I think you might be able to help me.

NoahFence

MBTI Type
INTP
I also knew a girl who could see auras, as a physical manifestation in her sight. Her ability to connect with utter, complete strangers, know when she was being lied to, and instantly recognize emotional states with unnerring accuracy seemed to bear this out. She described it as a barely perceptible glow of various motion and tint that she had come to recognize and rely on.

Of course she was also crazy as a loon. Not sure if this is cause, effect, or irrelevant, though. What I can say is I knew her for about three years and she never failed at this sort of thing. She also didn't brag about it, she only told me about it after a year...I remarked on her having "near-psychic understanding of strangers" and she said "Well...actually...it's more than 'near'..." She also insisted I not tell anyone else. Hardly the halmark of a con artist.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Can you please explain what an aura is? I think you might be able to help me.

Isn't it supposed to be a glow around the body that has some color. By the color you can "know" something about the person.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
My mother is an intuitive/empath and her type is ESFJ.

She has eerily prophetic dreams and she can sense things about people that are far from being readily apparent.

I am an empath, and have been one since I was a child.

I have been struggling with this my entire adult life.

Must find a balance.

:/

Edit: I am also an atheist, and have had and continue to have difficulty reconciling some of my stranger experiences.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
My mother is an intuitive/empath and her type is ESFJ.

She has eerily prophetic dreams and she can sense things about people that are far from being readily apparent.

I am an empath, and have been one since I was a child.

I have been struggling with this my entire adult life.

ESFJ and ENFP... What kind of differences there are between your style? Would it make sense that your Ne recognizes patterns while your mom's Fe picks the emotions?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
ESFJ and ENFP... What kind of differences there are between your style? Would it make sense that your Ne recognizes patterns while your mom's Fe picks the emotions?
Hmm, excluding my mother's crazy dreams, she primarily reads people while directly or closely interacting with them. She sees through/reads/gets people via their eyes. Within mere seconds she can get a pretty accurate and cohesive picture of the essence of a person.

I do think my experiences are more tied to my Ne/Fi predilections.

Lol, I feel uncomfortable talking about this, but, lol, whatever, it's all good.

I too read people really well but not as quickly, cohesively and accurately as my mother does. For me, there are certain people, who deeply affect me, their energy/aura/what-have-you, leave strong and lasting impressions on me. Also, I very often get visions of people (that I know), and these visions are an accumulation of flashes of them doing/experiencing various things.

I do have a subconscious registry of archetypal types of human beings and behaviors, many faces look familiar to me, and a familiar face triggers a memory which triggers a feeling, sense, or picture about this "new" person that is often accurate.

I am also very sensitive to "dark" people. I know within seconds upon meeting someone if they are dark or not, (mind you, this is incredibly rare, since most people are not dark, thank god :D ).

There is more, but I am feeling self-conscious so I will end here.

:)