User Tag List

123 Last

Default The fact that you will be dead soon for the second time

If we take all people that are alive today and ask the question :Where those people were in 12. century what will be the answer?

I have done some thinking about this and only thing that makes any sense is the answer : They were dead.

That means that all of us were dead for billions of years before we were born.
    From that point of view (billions of years) we will again go back into dead state soon and it looks like we will stay like that forever.

Because of this I came to conclusion that, fear of death is probably one of the most irrational things out there.

Any comments ,wishes , desires for explanations about this?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    ENTj

Fear of death serves an evolutionary purpose, preservation of the species.

I would agree that fear of death is otherwise irrational, for most people it's probably really about fear of dying and the associated pain.

MBTI
    INFP

Death is the cessation of everything you know. People fear the unknown.

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

I think i've gotten over it, but the idea of death used to scare me really badly. Not the pain associated with dying, just the unknown nothingness that is death. Something in me is terrified of the fact that that's it. You are done and you never will be again.

Thinking about it in terms of the unknown nothingness that you were before you were born kinda helps to calm some of the fear.
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Because of this I came to conclusion that, fear of death is probably one of the most irrational things out there.
    Huh? Really?

Traditionally, an irrational fear is one which, relative to the phobic's beliefs, is an inappropriate response to some circumstance. For example, arachnophobia is usually an irrational fear: in most cases the spider is harmless and the arachnophobic believes that it is harmless. The fearful response is a problem, evoking a reaction which may thwart any efforts to achieve other goals, such as cleaning the cupboards. If the arachnophibic genuinely believes that the spider is dangerous, then the feaful response is not inappropriate, even if the assessment of the spider is mistaken.

Anyway, since most people want to stay alive as long as possible (why they might want this is irrelevent), fear of circumstances which might bring an early death is quite sensible, far from irrational. There is, perhaps, a futility to a fear of death itself, since everyone is going to die eventually, and most people would be happier if they stopped fearing that which they cannot control. However, the idea that we should not fear death because everyone has been dead before is quite proposterous, and akin to saying that a rape victim should not be scared of being raped because she was raped before.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I think what's you're saying is interesting, Antisocial.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Pre-birth must've been one hell of a party because I can't remember a thing! Can someone fill me in on what happened?

If your theory is true, all it suggests is that we can be revived again and again. Which, to be fair, is pretty awesome.

Death and Pre-birth are totally unknown to me, I wouldn't put money on any theory about them being true. Too many possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    If we take all people that are alive today and ask the question :Where those people were in 12. century what will be the answer?

I have done some thinking about this and only thing that makes any sense is the answer : They were dead.

That means that all of us were dead for billions of years before we were born.
    From that point of view (billions of years) we will again go back into dead state soon and it looks like we will stay like that forever.

Any comments ,wishes , desires for explanations about this?
    Fear of death fits us to reproduce. Those who didn't fear death didn't reproduce and those who did fear, did.

Fear of death simply works - that is why we are here.

Even animals fear death - so it really does look like fear of death has an evolutionary function.

What needs to be explained is your need to wish away your fear of death.

This is a common wish that is fulfilled in the Resurrection or Reincarnation or drowned in Consumerism.

It seems to me that this kind of wish-fulfillment lacks dignity - it is unseemly.

I suggest you pick up your sword, like a good Roman, and look Death in the eye.

Your measure is whether you can look Death in eye and keep your Reason.

My friends and I were discussing exactly this the other night in the car. My best friend and I don't believe in an afterlife, and the two of us were discussing the idea that, before we were conceived, we hadn't existed for all of the time before that. It is a comforting thought, because if it's true, it means I've been through it already; that in fact, I've been dead a lot longer than I've been alive; that my life is just one blink in the lifespan of the universe. There's just something really comforting about believing that I've lived through it (haha - died through it?) before and have no memory of it. To me, it's a neutral state. For a long time I've thought that when I die, I will simply be without any fiber of consciousness. That is how I imagine nothingness to be: lack of consciousness, lack of awareness of anything.

However, the idea that we should not fear death because everyone has been dead before is quite proposterous, and akin to saying that a rape victim should not be scared of being raped because she was raped before.
    The difference is that being dead before hasn't apparently harmed us in any way; I suppose you have to believe it's a neutral state.

For me, the two most likely afterlives are that, one, there is no afterlife, and two, we will all be reborn again and again. The second is a lot more idealistic and brings me more joy and excitement than the first. Since I can't prove whether or not it's true, I figure I might as well choose to believe the option that brings me the most happiness. The first gives me a good, but definitely less joyful, feeling.

If I've lived through nothingness for billions of years before and am not phased or scarred by it - indeed, can't even remember it - and if, for the overwhelming majority of the lifespan of the universe, I have not existed, the next half of nonexistence seems very neutral and manageable to me.

P.S. For the record, I'm not referring to the actual dying part. I'm referring to what happens afterward. I too think it's perfectly reasonable to fear the act of dying; but I think the OPer was talking about what comes after dying, and comparing it directly to what comes before being alive.
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

MBTI
    INTP

It doesn't bother me that one day I'll be dead, it bothers me that one day I'll die.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.