User Tag List

First 123 Last

No amount of mental gymnastics can make me feel better about my mortality. Obviously I'm not afraid of experiencing death since death is literally nothing. I'm afraid of dying but I'm not afraid of being dead.

Analogy time!

Let's say back during ST:TNG's original run I get a TV and watch seasons 4 and 5 then my TV is taken away and I don't get to watch seasons 6 and 7. Missing seasons 1-3 doesn't make me feel better about missing 6 and 7. I really like Star Trek and I really want to see seasons 6 and 7.

The the point of this thread is to discuss the fact that all of us were once dead.

My observation that fear of death is irrational is not the key part here.
    But we can go in that direction.
    I don't see purpose in fear of dying since you are dead most of the time and it is very likely that you will die with time.
    Because of this death or dying does not scare me.

I think that someone could say that "As long you are afraid of dying you are not truly alive".

Also when you come to this level suicide becomes useless option and person looses many other fears as this way of thinking settles in persons head.

What can be quite usefull in life.
    Many people died too early just because their fear overwhelmed them in key situation.
    Also it is much more easier to deal with everyday life and stress that comes with it.
    This way of thinking can be quite usefull in many areas of life.
    Because you will get increased will to grow and expand(because you have nothing else to do).
    And you will get ability to see things as they really are. By this I mean on emotional connection to things

Also you are not in danger because you still have reason and instincts to protect you from troubles.

The only problem is that you can come as cold and impersonal to other people.

MBTI
    INFP

Antisocial: but do you think suicide is also a bad thing?
    because if we were dead, and will be dead, (and added that with my philosophy that: 90% of our life is filled with pain & sufferings anyway, only 10% happiness, that is also if you get reallyy lucky) , then why not just commit suicide now, and just be dead ?
    what's so bad about it?
    even those who will be saddened, and "care" about us, will be dead anyway.
    everybody will be dead.
    everything will be dead.
    and even our small blue-dot planet called earth in this vast universe (which is one of trillions trillions other universes) will eventually be 'dead' (ie: extinct) anyway.
    right?

MBTI
    INxJ

Interesting idea

MBTI
    IXXP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I disagree with the OP. We weren't "dead" before we were born because that means that we were once alive before now. Merriam-Webster's first definition is: deprived of life : no longer alive. (this is presuming that you are not considering reincarnation)

Who knows what we were before we were born. It is a very interesting idea.

Quote Originally Posted by aguanile View Post
    I disagree with the OP. We weren't "dead" before we were born because that means that we were once alive before now. Merriam-Webster's first definition is: deprived of life : no longer alive. (this is presuming that you are not considering reincarnation)

Who knows what we were before we were born. It is a very interesting idea.
    And I disagree with you because I am changing the meaning of concept "to be dead".

What were we back then?

Atoms scattered across the planet surface.

MBTI
    LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    And I disagree with you because I am changing the meaning of concept "to be dead".

What were we back then?

Atoms scattered across the planet surface.
    Pssh. The sensor was just trying to be realistic!

MBTI
    INTP

Interesting idea. However, the dictionary defines "dead" as "No longer living; deprived of life." I'd never been alive before 1989, so "dead" is not a valid word to describe my state. I was just nonexistent.

EDIT: I see this has been brought up above. Anyway, nonexistence is different than death, because I'm aware of the fact that I will one day be nonexistent.

MBTI
    LoLz

The dictionary was apparently written by an S.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by raz1337 View Post
    The dictionary was apparently written by an S.
    Who are we kidding... would an N ever write a dictionary?

I agree fully with disregard. People don't fear death. They fear the process of dying... because that's the unknown. The transition from being alive to being dead.