• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Post Philosophies or Religious ideas that are true, but shouldn't be implemented.

Obsidius

Chumped.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
What truths do you personally think should not be implemented in one's life or in society as a whole? I personally think Existentialism is right in many things it posits, but is useless or counter-productive in any ways, your turn.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
While it might not be true, I have sort of believed in solipsism for a pretty decent amount of time. It probably is not productive to adhere to that sort of philosophy, as it maybe borders on some sorts of negative narcisistic outcomes(alright more than borders), but it is extremely interesting none the less. And I don't know if I see the point in entirely dismissing them.

Determinism is just sort of sad. I believe that it is in a sort of way true, but yeah it is a bit depressing to think that nothing is up to you.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How would you say existentialism is useless or counterproductive?

I would say that it seems to me to be too gloomy, and that tends to impede positive actions rather than enable them. And isn't enabling positive actions what we want?

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
While it might not be true, I have sort of believed in solipsism for a pretty decent amount of time. It probably is not productive to adhere to that sort of philosophy, as it maybe borders on some sorts of negative narcisistic outcomes(alright more than borders), but it is extremely interesting none the less. And I don't know if I see the point in entirely dismissing them.

Determinism is just sort of sad. I believe that it is in a sort of way true, but yeah it is a bit depressing to think that nothing is up to you.

Determinism really just implies everything happens for a reason (or a complex web of reasons) beyond our control, and no one is fully to blame for their actions.

Solipsism is dangerous... it assumes ownership of all other beings. :(

á´…eparted

passages
I suppose this is more of a personal opinion, but I am sure there is some philosopher somewhere who has tauted the idea or proposed it.

I don't see life as having any inherent value. That would be really bad if that was adhered and followed by society as a whole.

Obsidius

Chumped.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
How would you say existentialism is useless or counterproductive?

I would say that it seems to me to be too gloomy, and that tends to impede positive actions rather than enable them. And isn't enabling positive actions what we want?

Well, the idea of a "purposeless life" without truth of any kind, where our 'peak', so to speak, is death... That isn't exactly productive, in fact, I'd say that the average person would be greatly disheartened if they were to be convinced of this, and it could definitely become a hindrance upon international productivity if people realised how their life has no inherit meaning. Also, I don't think it's actually liveable as a philosophy, in day to day life, I doubt anyone actually believes their life to be purposeless, that's something that comes from introspective cogitation after the fact, so it's not productive at all, more like an after thought.

Obsidius

Chumped.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I suppose this is more of a personal opinion, but I am sure there is some philosopher somewhere who has tauted the idea or proposed it.

I don't see life as having any inherent value. That would be really bad if that was adhered and followed by society as a whole.
Yeah that's stark Nihilism, basically life has no inherit meaning or value.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Determinism really just implies everything happens for a reason (or a complex web of reasons) beyond our control, and no one is fully to blame for their actions.

Solipsism is dangerous... it assumes ownership of all other beings. :(

I never understood this part of determinism. I would think "blaming" someone for their actions is the same regardless of whether there is free will or not :/ I mean isn't the point of blame to weed out unsustainable ways of viewing the world? Like, if you believe that you can act however you want and there won't be consequences, then that is foolish. If you do something wrong, you should make up for it so that ill will dissolves, and lessons are learned. I can't comprehend what blame means apart from attempting to reconcile viewpoints in this manner. No doubt, a symptom of my narrow mind.

There's no value to life, but if we lived as if there was no value to life, we would create negative value. A bit of a contradiction isn't it? :p Or is this bad you speak of just not an inherent bad?

(feel free not to respond if it seems like I'm nitpicking, but I feel like I could gain some understanding here)

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I never understood this part of determinism. I would think "blaming" someone for their actions is the same regardless of whether there is free will or not :/ I mean isn't the point of blame to weed out unsustainable ways of viewing the world? Like, if you believe that you can act however you want and there won't be consequences, then that is foolish. If you do something wrong, you should make up for it so that ill will dissolves, and lessons are learned. I can't comprehend what blame means apart from attempting to reconcile viewpoints in this manner. No doubt, a symptom of my narrow mind.

If your blame has already been determined for you then did you ever really blame at all?

Obsidius

Chumped.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I disagree. Something > nothing. There has to be a reason more people don't commit suicide.

No, I don't believe in Nihilism, I was just labelling what Hard explained he believed was true. I personally believe that life does have subjective meaning, also people not committing suicide would be a terrible argument against Nihilism's veracity... That being said, it's a good argument for why Nihilism shouldn't be implemented, which is the topic of this thread.

Zangetshumody

MBTI Type
INTJ
What truths do you personally think should not be implemented in one's life or in society as a whole? I personally think Existentialism is right in many things it posits, but is useless or counter-productive in any ways, your turn.

I'd like to make a few general comments around the question itself:
Truth that is not actionable, or that should* not have a real applicable bearing in one's actions, perhaps just requires that greater truth upon which regular truths needs be ignored be discovered and explored. Perhaps in the synthesis between that greater controlling truth and that regular truth, one could un-root truth from the kind of narrative framework that requires it to be subject to that other greater truth at all (synthesis for a unified vocabulary and framework of truth), because it is my contention that the mind need not feel disparity with the truth;- rather the limitations cast upon what the truth entails is the real source of dissonance, and any presumption toward sustaining such a dissonance is an abject resignation at hope for your life.

Zangetshumody

MBTI Type
INTJ
No, I don't believe in Nihilism, I was just labelling what Hard explained he believed was true. I personally believe that life does have subjective meaning, also people not committing suicide would be a terrible argument against Nihilism's veracity... That being said, it's a good argument for why Nihilism shouldn't be implemented, which is the topic of this thread.

only if Nihilism were true though?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I disagree. Something > nothing. There has to be a reason more people don't commit suicide.

People are computers, we do as we are programmed. We are not programmed to suicide, that is an anomaly.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

The only potential value of nihilism is as a stepping stone to something better. There are a lot of people who assume that nihilism represents some kind of ideal end state. Nihilism is something to be fought against, not something to strive for. Nihilism can be useful if it eventually causes us to come to the realization that we must create our own meaning in life, but people who want to stay there are illogical, IMO. Life does not have an objective meaning, but it is up to us to create our own meaning, and it is important, I believe, that we do so.

Obsidius said:
Well, the idea of a "purposeless life" without truth of any kind, where our 'peak', so to speak, is death... That isn't exactly productive, in fact, I'd say that the average person would be greatly disheartened if they were to be convinced of this, and it could definitely become a hindrance upon international productivity if people realised how their life has no inherit meaning. Also, I don't think it's actually liveable as a philosophy, in day to day life, I doubt anyone actually believes their life to be purposeless, that's something that comes from introspective cogitation after the fact, so it's not productive at all, more like an after thought.

I disagree. I know what it's like to feel that your life is purposeless, and I doubt I'm alone. It's not a place people should strive to stay in, though. The disillusionment, though, may be useful as an inn to spend the night on the way to greener pastures. Maybe only by abandoning everything can something new be built.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hard said:

it's interesting to see how people respond to the "blank slate."

Some people say, "I can't believe life has no inherent meaning, because then I just really don't have a reason to exist." It's like they're looking at the blank slate, hoping to take something from it and finding nothing.

Others say, "The slate is empty? Wonderful! Let me paint it and create a picture!"

So there are those try to derive meaning from life, and those who create meaning in life.

Universal meaning might not exist, but it doesn't mean personal meaning doesn't. Looking beyond life to demand a universal meaning to justify for your own... is that something visionary, or is that an unwillingness to accept death and the temporal nature of our own existence? I think that's an interesting question.

People are computers, we do as we are programmed. We are not programmed to suicide, that is an anomaly.

Programmed cell death - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, welcome to the wonderful world of telomerase.
Why We Get Old: Programmed to die?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not objectively important, of course ;)

I think it's important on a societal level, to produce a society that functions in a way that I consider desirable, one that values the individual. The concept is anathema to some people these days, but I look at the alternatives the 20th century has given us, and shudder. The modern day equivalents, like ISIS and North Korea, are also utterly loathsome. Societies that consider the individual utterly unimportant ultimately cease to value human life, and degenerate into death cults of one stripe or another. And I think I could get a lot of people on board with the concept that human life is something worth protecting.

I don't mean to suggest that our current society is not in need of serious reform, but we should not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

People who question the moral value of individualism should watch 12 Angry Men.