User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    IXTX
    Enneagram
    4 sp
    Socionics
    entj Ni

Default In biblical texts, was it real or just created by by someone's active imagination?

In biblical texts, was it real or just created by by someone's active imagination?

I'm sitting here and the question just jumped at me

you know long time ago there was a tribe of people who worshiped the sun because the elders needed something physical for its people to worship

the same idea gets pointed directly at Jesus, the physical manifestation of God

the Buddha statue in buddha temples

etc

etc

etc

we see physical matter being constructed in our everyday lives to register to the mind that this is what we worship and what we follow

but as reality is,you should ask yourself this question, is the reality you see now your perspective?, someone else's perspective? an illusion? an optical illusion?

what if everything you know to this day has just been limitations that the past put on you, we see this example in our everyday lives Adam and Eve were vegetarians, they only ate veggies when they were "created", people today are vegans , Moses asked God for meat,him and his people received meat , most people eat meat today

how about that first girl you fell in love with? she rejected you didnt she?, you thought she was perfect and now every girl that you meet you see that one girl and compare the two then you reject that girl that confronted you because she doesnt measure up to your first love bakaaaaa

we let the past define us, we cant see the future, we can make assumptions of the immediate future given our circumstances because we can see all the chess pieces on the board

we constantly build on the past and the immediate future

immediate future can span from 1 day to 15 years from now (i'm guessing cause theres people that plan perfectly enough for it)

when are we going to create something new? we see immediate future as new but its actually based on past workings

we are sheep compared to the source, but do we have to follow the source or the Sheppard blindly?

can we rebel against society and finally create something that past generations couldnt?

we see these creations in technology,but evens those creations are based on past work

maybe the human race is doomed to pursue the ultimate truth from past based perspectives?

maybe thats just life?

but what doesnt life teach you is the question here...what ISNT taught
    thats the question you ask yourself when you question your beliefs and take a step towards self awareness

dont get me wrong though, I believe in God and his teachings,just like I believe in my own teachings because it is based off ancient workings, I'm on my way to create my own novel work, I suggest you do the same

you are welcome

active imagination is a powerful created by Carl Jung, but people has been using that technique for ages he just had the opportunity to label the technique *standing ovation*

by now I hope you getting the picture

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

To answer the first question, there is truth in the bible in places, but it's so bulked up with confabulation that I cannot trust it as a reliable source of historical evidence.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Depends on who you ask.

I remember watching a two or three part documentary called the power of meth by Josiah Campbell, it looked at the topic of the need for a spiritual narrative and meth. I found it informative.

As for the Bible, well what can I say? It was drafted by Humans to order Human activity and Human thinking and Human conduct. It was done back in time when social order was much different than today's social order.

I think it is a book that should be rewritten in fact I think it is a book that should be put on the shelf in a Liberty in a section called historical fiction.

There are some stories that are of value in it but over all it is a dishonest book that misdeeds the minds of people who are incur aged to make a life study of its content.

A sad reality, but it seems that communities of family networks still need the fiction of the bible to navigate through societies reality.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Bnova View Post
    In biblical texts, was it real or just created by by someone's active imagination?
    It's a collection of various documents recorded for various purposes over 1500 years. That's not really a question, it wasn't spun up as Internet fan fic or as a Barnes & Noble "subversive history book." So yes, it's "real," but that term has different connotations depending upon the person.

You have history (from someone's perspective), you have family chronology, you have songs and poetry, you have cultural law, you have allegories and creation myth, you have spiritual instruction, you have church administrative policies, you have doctrinal treatises, you have prophetic visions, and so forth. "The Bible" is between two covers (the exact contents depending on broad denomination), but that doesn't mean it was a uniform and single-purposed document despite the marketing.

It's broad enough that a particular sect can take it and accentuate the parts that appeal to them to create their own spin on it. This actually has contributed to its success in various culture, Christianity in general has been malleable from culture to culture.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

So basically the question is whether you believe christianity and the words of the bible as truth.

Well, honestly I have never been an overly religious person so if I had to guess I would say that

1) there was some group of traveling revolutionaries that traveled around, Jesus was with them but he wasnt the son of god, he was just a man who claimed to do miracles. He did little things here and there, parlor tricks, to get people to believe. These things and his testimony were hyped up and written up by the people that he preached to. So no they were all exaggerations that grew upon each other.

2) jesus was so amazing and devine that everything he did was 100% accurate as written in the bible.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty6226 View Post
    ...2) jesus was so amazing and devine that everything he did was 100% accurate as written in the bible.
    John 21:25 (NIV): Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Eh I never read the bible, it is way too much for me.

John just sounds like he is looking for an excuse to be lazy. If he really cared about Jesus he would have sat down until his dying day and documented every single aspect of Jesus' life.

Who's to say though that John wasnt under some sort of delusion

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty6226 View Post
    John just sounds like he is looking for an excuse to be lazy. If he really cared about Jesus he would have sat down until his dying day and documented every single aspect of Jesus' life.
    I doubt that books were as ubiquitous back then as they are today.
    And the original gospels weren't written down for some years AD, at the least.

Who's to say though that John wasnt under some sort of delusion
    ...Shouldn't have eaten the magic mushrooms.

Everything written in the Bible/Holy books are real except for the parts which have been proven historically and scientifically inaccurate and the controversial parts.

To directly answer the thread title: I don't think it's imagination. It's mostly legends gone down from one person to another with slight alterations taking place atleast from one generation to another.

God/gods however are myths.

God the world's biggest marketing tool. Paradise would be the reward for using this brand (The God given in their holy book) and hell would be the punishment for not believing in him.

Best marketing tool ever!