User Tag List

123 Last

Injustice Needs To stoP RandomINTP's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx

Default What would the world be like without religion?

So, I've been wondering how the world would be like if religion would've never existed.
    Now let's see...
    If there was no faith in "God", people wouldn't have wasted their money building churches and donating to slimers who are just money hungry.
    If there was no admiration of "God", people wouldn't have fought wars over trying to prove a point that cannot be proven.
    If there was no belief in "God", people would have been more independent and technologically further advanced than now. There's a reason why technology drastically advanced in the 19th century and not sooner. Because people stopped believing in "God" and started to think. Innovation is a beautiful thing.

"God" is a mere concept of humanity, nothing more than a theory. "God" is just as real as the big bang.
    Humans are stupid to blindly follow something they can't even prove to themselves that it's real.
    Even more stupid is, that some become terrorists and kill people just to prove a pointless point.
    Also, killing people in the name of "God" is a contradiction in itself, since, according to the bible, "thou shalt not kill".
    So, since they are killing people, they are going against themselves and therefore making them nothing more than stupid terrorists.

Thoughts?
    MBTI:
    Alignment: Chaotic-Neutral
    Sins: Pride > Sloth > Gluttony > Wrath > Greed > Lust > Envy

"Only two things are infinite. The universe, and human stupidity, but I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
    "You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." -Dr. Seuss
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -J. K. Rowling

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Depending upon your definition of the term "religion" this may or may not be possible as the term can be applied to any traditionalistic set of thinking considered unquestionable in its value by the supporters of that theory.

Going with a more classical definition, would it not just be replaced by some other set of thinking that the common man wasn't capable of getting past and so capitulated to in the vein of "if you can't beat them, join them"?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?
    Likes Julius_Van_Der_Beak liked this post

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

I suspect it would be much like it is now, only people people would fighting over some other idiotic ideology.
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by RandomINTP View Post
    So, I've been wondering how the world would be like if religion would've never existed.
    Now let's see...
    If there was no faith in "God", people wouldn't have wasted their money building churches and donating to slimers who are just money hungry.
    If there was no admiration of "God", people wouldn't have fought wars over trying to prove a point that cannot be proven.
    As others have said, people would just replace it with a belief in something else and fight over the same things.

If there was no belief in "God", people would have been more independent and technologically further advanced than now. There's a reason why technology drastically advanced in the 19th century and not sooner. Because people stopped believing in "God" and started to think. Innovation is a beautiful thing.
    The idea that the universe had rules and made sense was partly driven (at least in Europe) by a belief in a god that created the world and made sensible rules.

The Egyptians were very advanced for their time and still believed in gods. In fact, all of the early cultures believed in gods.

etc.

"God" is a mere concept of humanity, nothing more than a theory. "God" is just as real as the big bang.
    Humans are stupid to blindly follow something they can't even prove to themselves that it's real.
    Even more stupid is, that some become terrorists and kill people just to prove a pointless point.
    Also, killing people in the name of "God" is a contradiction in itself, since, according to the bible, "thou shalt not kill".
    So, since they are killing people, they are going against themselves and therefore making them nothing more than stupid terrorists.
    Thoughts?
    My thought is that you are equating religion = Christianity (you refer to "god" but then also to the "Bible"); however, Christianity is not the only religion. If you want to make a better argument about religion's influence on humanity, you can't equate religion to just Christianity.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Julius_Van_Der_Beak liked this post

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    As others have said, people would just replace it with a belief in something else and fight over the same things.
    Yes.

Here's the preserved body of a saint in a church in Philadelphia:

Here's the body of Lenin. Keep in mind that Communism was an atheist philosophy and was wholly devoted to a materialistic understanding of the world. (Calm down folks, I'm not saying atheism leads to purges.)

In China, we get the same thing. I'm not sure if this is still a thing there now or not, but it definitely was at one point in the past. This book essentially assumed a level of reference often reserved for texts like the Quran, Bible and Torah.

i

If you ask me, there's a very similar psychology at place here. It's yet another reason why I see the debate about theism vs. atheism as being irrelevant. Yes, religion has played a role in social prejudices, historically speaking, but that's not the root of the problem. The root of the problem is psychological; people distrust and fear things they don't understand, and that can happen whether you believe in God or not.

There are more important problems in our world than metaphysics.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Bereft of humans.
    Likes Qlip liked this post

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Bereft of humans.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78
    Likes themightyfetus, SpankyMcFly liked this post

Injustice Needs To stoP RandomINTP's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    People are so stupid I'm afraid you're right. According to the bible, after Moses came back with the 10 commandments, the folk made a golden calf to pray to. This just sounds too stupid to be made up. And why do I have a feeling, that golden calf is responsible for cows being considered holy in India (by hinduists)?

The idea that the universe had rules and made sense was partly driven (at least in Europe) by a belief in a god that created the world and made sensible rules.
    That's what the majority of humanity wanted to believe, so the churches gave the people what they wanted in order to manipulate them. Later the government realized this and now religion is a part of various countries' national cultures. If you don't believe me, ask yourself, why IS religion a part of modern culture?

The Egyptians were very advanced for their time and still believed in gods. In fact, all of the early cultures believed in gods.
    etc.
    They were advanced indeed, but they believed in gods because they thought it made sense. Most of the other cultures don't work like that.

My thought is that you are equating religion = Christianity (you refer to "god" but then also to the "Bible"); however, Christianity is not the only religion. If you want to make a better argument about religion's influence on humanity, you can't equate religion to just Christianity.
    Of course not. That was just one example of people being so stupid that they decieve themselves.
    Also, I'm pretty sure Moses was seen as a prophet by muslims too.
    MBTI:
    Alignment: Chaotic-Neutral
    Sins: Pride > Sloth > Gluttony > Wrath > Greed > Lust > Envy

"Only two things are infinite. The universe, and human stupidity, but I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
    "You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." -Dr. Seuss
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -J. K. Rowling

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

GK Chesterton is often quoted as saying, "When a man stops believing in God he doesn’t then believe in nothing, he believes anything."

The quote doesn't appear to be his words, but a paraphrase of them
    When Man Ceases to Worship God

Regardless of its source, it is poignant enough to provoke thought. I know way too many people who blindly trust in "science" just as others trust in religion.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.
    Likes Beorn, themightyfetus liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    Regardless of its source, it is poignant enough to provoke thought. I know way too many people who blindly trust in "science" just as others trust in religion.
    If they have to put their blind trust in something, science is certainly the better choice.
    Likes Passacaglia, riva, SpankyMcFly liked this post