MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    This is a good example of blind faith.
    I try to follow the scientific method, but I find myself constantly doubting what I know and I wonder how well I actually do it.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    I try to follow the scientific method, but I find myself constantly doubting what I know and I wonder how well I actually do it.
    You're doing it the way it's supposed to be done, darlin!
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth
    Likes Julius_Van_Der_Beak liked this post

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Up Rex View Post
    You're doing it the way it's supposed to be done, darlin!
    What I'll do is make these experiments to test things, and even then, I am not sure if I am drawing the right conclusion when I finish. Even if I test say, if light color effects plant growth, and I use 7 colored bulbs, 1 white bulb, and a window, careful to box in each artificial lighted plant--I can only say that the blue and violet plants get biggest. I cannot say why, really. I do these little tests all the time and it drives my mom crazy, lol.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post

O M G

Then some politician would say we were "bringing democracy" and in the end they will thank us.

Then some theist would spin this on their tele-evangelistic TV show about how it was "destiny" to do so, maybe even foretold in some holy book somewhere.

Some warmonger would quip "preemptive defense", lest those aliens decide to invade us.

etc. etc.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

No better or worse..

though I like Christmas presents, Scrooge, Easter eggs, deyas at Divali, and the Bible is crap but Noah and Daniel in the lions' den are good narrative wise...

so for every bad, there is a good.
    Good result (vs. Soton)...still have to go #Arsene

Tengo los conocimientos estardiar....no hay un motivo para estar al tanto de la reunión que sucedió hace mucho tiempo ....

You are what you love themightyfetus's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sx
    Socionics
    ESE Si

*shyly enters into this thread*

I think a lot of terrible things are done in the name of religion. Religion can cause discord, fighting, violence, etc. But I wouldn't discount all the good it's done for people. Religious groups have done volunteering and charity work. Many people latch onto a higher power for comfort, or as a motivation to recover. Regardless of whether you believe such god(s) exists, religion has done a lot of good. Yes, a lot of harm, but also a lot of good.
    Yet I know, if I stepped aside
    Released the controls, you would open my eyes
    That somehow, all of this mess
    Is just my attempt to know the worth of my life

Mercury - Sleeping At Last

3w2 // 6w7 // 9w1
    Likes danseen liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by themightyfetus View Post
    Religious groups have done volunteering and charity work.
    True but too often it comes with strings attached. Which is totally defeating the purpose and can push people away that need the help. How do people with no religious affiliation or agnostics/atheists manage to give to charity and volunteer their time and resources? You don't need religion to be moral or help people who need it.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

No different in my opinion.

You are what you love themightyfetus's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sx
    Socionics
    ESE Si

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    True but too often it comes with strings attached. Which is totally defeating the purpose and can push people away that need the help. How do people with no religious affiliation or agnostics/atheists manage to give to charity and volunteer their time and resources? You don't need religion to be moral or help people who need it.
    Oh of course, I totally agree that religion is not required to be a nice person or have morality. And yes, there are religious groups who tend to push beliefs on others, but many just go out and be nice to people. For instance, I've been on mission trips. We threw a block party for the kids in a disadvantaged area. There was cotton candy, a moon bounce, games, etc. The children were thrilled--and there was no preaching. Yes, we also took walks in the city and asked people if they wanted prayer. Not in a pushy way, just asking casually. If they said no that was it, we moved on and wished them a good day. A lot of people felt really happy that we would take the time to care about them. These were people in rough areas, and they tended to be overlooked or avoided. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that a lot of groups are preachy and all that, but a lot of them just genuinely want to help people, as good citizens and human beings. Their morality is just influenced by a god/gods, and that's what makes them religious groups.

Have you ever seen the Humans of New York page on Facebook? If you haven't, you should check it out. There have been people who say that God helped them recover from an addiction, that God was their hope when they had none left. Everyone can believe whatever they choose and should be respected for that. Regardless of one's own beliefs, it can't be denied that god (or the concept of god if you don't believe in the existence of one) has really kept some people afloat. I adopt a live and let live attitude. If somebody says that they made it through a bout of depression with the help of an invisible, benevolent, polka-dotted easy chair, then that's awesome. I don't believe in that easy chair, but I will wholeheartedly encourage that person to keep up believing in that as long as it helps them.
    Yet I know, if I stepped aside
    Released the controls, you would open my eyes
    That somehow, all of this mess
    Is just my attempt to know the worth of my life

Mercury - Sleeping At Last

3w2 // 6w7 // 9w1