User Tag List

View Poll Results: Free Will or Determinism?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Free Will

10 31.25%
  • Determinism

16 50.00%
  • Jar Jar Binks

6 18.75%
First 567

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Poki View Post
    I don't go through life trying to find "meaning" in everything. I go through life seeing what is in front of me. Meaning in the way you refer to it is a personal opinion.
    The meaning I am referring to is not a personal opinion.

To ask for the deeper meaning of something, is to ask for that which makes something possible. I will provide you with an example:

If one understands the meaning of a kiss, one understands the kiss as a kiss in terms of its purpose: to demonstrate affection.

So affection is not only the meaning of a kiss, it is what makes a kiss possible.

When I say that the meaning of the future is a projection of possibilities, I am saying that possibilities make the future possible.

Free will presupposes an awareness of possibilities, because in order for you to have choices, you must first have an awareness of them.

So if you are not aware of your own possibilities, which is what the future means, then you are not free and are enslaved by what is "actual" (meaningless).

And if you go through life not trying to find meaning in everything, then naturally, you will not lead a meaningful life.
    Likes Forever liked this post

@Evee
    You definitely have my respect over this view you have.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingforPeace View Post
    Are you sure about that?

Well not now you've said that, no.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.
    Likes SearchingforPeace, Forever, Raffaella liked this post

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Evee View Post
    The meaning I am referring to is not a personal opinion.

To ask for the deeper meaning of something, is to ask for that which makes something possible. I will provide you with an example:

If one understands the meaning of a kiss, one understands the kiss as a kiss in terms of its purpose: to demonstrate affection.

So affection is not only the meaning of a kiss, it is what makes a kiss possible.

When I say that the meaning of the future is a projection of possibilities, I am saying that possibilities make the future possible.

Free will presupposes an awareness of possibilities, because in order for you to have choices, you must first have an awareness of them.

So if you are not aware of your own possibilities, which is what the future means, then you are not free and are enslaved by what is "actual" (meaningless).

And if you go through life not trying to find meaning in everything, then naturally, you will not lead a meaningful life.
    But a kiss is not affection to everyone. So it's not an all encompassing meaning. That meaning of a kiss is specific to only certain people.

Finding meaning does not really do anything except find it. The meaning has to exists prior to actually finding it. That's like saying a rose doesn't exists until you find it. A meaningful life exists irregardless of finding it, a meaningful life exists by doing meaningful things, not finding meaningful things. Finding meaning is nothing more then a mental and emotional satisfaction technique. It is one of knowing and can also be one of controlling oneself by direction. Not everyone has to find meaning in life to actually have a meaningful life. One can simply know what matters and not even look for meaning and still lead a meaningfull life. To believe that the meaning of affection applies to everyone is closing yourself off to actually learning everyone and is like putting on blinders. Finding meaning is one way to go through life, it doesn't mean it's the only way to lead a meaningful life.

I personally can put different meanings behind the same action. A kiss can have passion, it can be friendly, it can be hateful...you ask how it's hateful...find someone who a kiss means affection and kiss them without actually being affectionate with them. It becomes a misleading and controlling kiss.

You have alot to learn about life and it actually scares me that you will end up hurt because you have blinders on and are a perfect target for someone who wants to manipulate the and lead you to believe a different meaning then what is reality. To recognize the true meaning of something which is actually situation and individual will help you better find what you want and better find the "meaning" of life you want to live which is subjective. You seem to be stuck in idealism, whilet idealism is awesome to go after, you must be able to learn how to achieve it in reality, not just in your mind and emotions. Because when reality sets in you will fight to get your internal meaning back into place and because of the disconnect it will be a constant life long fight. Simply appeasing the symptoms instead of fixing the problem.
    Im out, its been fun