User Tag List

View Poll Results: Free Will or Determinism?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Free Will

10 31.25%
  • Determinism

16 50.00%
  • Jar Jar Binks

6 18.75%
First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ

Time is the illusion making free will appear implausible. Realize that if time was removed from the equation only for a second of ponderance, the cause and effect chain that causes the universe to appear deterministic disappears and the truth is revealed: all is free will. There are already scientific proofs and theories existing regarding the potential malleability and illusion of time, especially amongst quantum physicists. I don't understand how someone who subscribes to the modern day views of spacetime curving due to gravity and the big bang theory can honestly be a hardcore determinist.

Likes andresimon, Opal liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatLSD View Post
    Nah, its easy and completely fair. There's nothing subjective about being a loser, you either are or you aren't. It's as simple as that.
    You've skipped the point I was trying to make: free will can't be proven/disproven, and it's ultimately subjective.

Honestly, it sounds like you are just wanting to call everyonw in this thread that does not think free will exists losers. Am I wrong?
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I'll state my belief in freewill... it doesn't matter in the least to me if it exists or not, either way I'll continue to live my life with the perception of agency because that's what we do.
    Likes SearchingforPeace liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    You've skipped the point I was trying to make: free will can't be proven/disproven, and it's ultimately subjective.

Honestly, it sounds like you are just wanting to call everyonw in this thread that does not think free will exists losers. Am I wrong?
    And you've skipped the point I've made.

^Freewill is completely provable, and your demonstrating it right now, as am I and everyone else in this thread. Which is why I conclude those that say it doesn't exist are simply afraid.
    ~ F*ck this place that we call home! ~

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatLSD View Post
    And you've skipped the point I've made.

^Freewill is completely provable, and your demonstrating it right now, as am I and everyone else in this thread. Which is why I conclude those that say it doesn't exist are simply afraid.
    Lots of people in this thread don't agree and have given decent arguments to their stance (for the record, I don't know if free will exists because it depends on ones prospective, and I honestly don't care, I just operate/assume it does).

Calling everyone losers and afraid for having valid arguments why it doesn't is quite frankly, incredibly insulting.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Lots of people in this thread don't agree and have given decent arguments to their stance (for the record, I don't know if free will exists because it depends on ones prospective, and I honestly don't care, I just operate/assume it does).

Calling everyone losers and afraid for having valid arguments why it doesn't is quite frankly, incredibly insulting.
    I'm not calling people fearful losers because they have "valid arguments", I call them that because it's the truth.

If free will denying people get insulted by a punk bitch on the internet pointing out their insecurities, than they're only proving me correct.
    ~ F*ck this place that we call home! ~

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidius View Post
    "Man can do what he wills but he cannot will what he wills." - Schopenhauer
    Schopenhauer used to be my favorite philosopher.

I think life is both comprised of both free will and determinism, as I know that some factors will ultimately decide what decision I make, and to simply ignore that is ridiculous in my view.

Determinism I think, is the harder pill to swallow out of the two. Seeing your life predestined and each failure reminds how not cool fate decided you to be and even the fact you're on the negative side determined by fate makes your life suck even more.

Free Will on the other hand, while easier can be hard but then to actually know that you made those choices make your life suck. Although, I find free will easier because its like "well I didn't know the whole result" so we can all pat ourselves on the back and trot along.

I vote partially deterministic because I do not "will" my preferences towards music, that'd be awesome though if I could do that. Make myself love country and live the life of a cowboy for like some period of time would be cool. But I don't, and I can't explain why. I can't explain why it makes me fall asleep. It just does.

Free Will because when your predetermined desires frustrate you, you can either choose to follow them or not.

So yeah, I just swallowed the purple pill guys.

While you guys think of that, this chillpill, according to definition is purple because of blue and red have been both put together? Purple is a mix of red and blue.
    Likes SearchingforPeace liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Those who believe themselves not free are not aware of their own possibilities to be and are enslaved by the inauthentic mode of existence, grounded in the actual, rather than the possible. (Put another way, they are not acting in accordance with self-conscious awareness.)

They are, in essence, not living their own lives, and are determined by the "They" or "Other".

The chief characteristic of authentic existence is an awareness of possibilities (freedom), and that is the only genuine way in which one can be aware of the self. To view the self as an (actual) entity that exists in fact is to see it as an object, and hence, as something else, and hence, as inauthentic, and hence, not free.

This tragic loss of independence is brought about by uncritical living.

"The unexamined life is not worth living." -Socrates

"Know thyself." -Socrates
    Last edited by Evee; 07-25-2015 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Removal of ugly mentions.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Xann View Post
    Time is the illusion making free will appear implausible. Realize that if time was removed from the equation only for a second of ponderance, the cause and effect chain that causes the universe to appear deterministic disappears and the truth is revealed: all is free will. There are already scientific proofs and theories existing regarding the potential malleability and illusion of time, especially amongst quantum physicists. I don't understand how someone who subscribes to the modern day views of spacetime curving due to gravity and the big bang theory can honestly be a hardcore determinist.

What a post...