• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I an Atheist?

RandomINTP

Injustice Needs To stoP
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
This is what I believe in:
"God" is a synonym for "the reason the world exists".
I believe there is a reason for everything, so I believe in God.
But I believe the universe has always existed, and this world is just one of many before.
Also, I believe the world was created through the laws of physics, biological evolution, and chemistry.
That's the reason why the world exists, in my opinion, so that would mean
The laws of physics are God. They are the reason we exist. They are what bind us to this planet. They are responsible for everything.
I believe in God by definition, but not in a deity.

Now to the question: Does that count as Atheism, or Deism?

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Deism would entail faith in a transcendental creator god. You don't believe in this. You're an atheist redundantly labeling things already sufficiently labeled.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm a Jedi. I kind of think the Force is real... not in the sense that there are magic powers, but in the sense that everything is purely deterministic, and the thing to do is understand the chain of cause and effect.

You can't always change what's going to happen to you, but if you can understand it, then it's not so scary.

RandomINTP

Injustice Needs To stoP
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Deism would entail faith in a transcendental creator god. You don't believe in this. You're an atheist redundantly labeling things already sufficiently labeled.

You are one scary muthafucka... Seriously. Your picture was a jumpscare to me, and what's with that signature? You are one troll! :rofl1:

Cygnus

If you believe in the possibility of a creating entity but put no faith in any single one until he reveals himself, you are Agnostic.
If you believe there is no possibility of a creating entity whatsoever, you are Atheist.
If you believe in a creating entity who gives no concern to humans and has never communicated with them, you are Deist.

TheCheeseBurgerKing

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
You aren't atheist. Also, the fact that you list yourself as 7w1 probably isn't good. 7 disintegrates to 1.

Atheists are assholes in denial.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
thing about atheism is it is religious...it states that there is no deity, it therefore states a meaning of negating a deity and therefore is a religion since any meaning or attribute on existence serves the religious function of the brain..a human cannot part from the religious function of the brain, which is now pure science so even reductionists must admit it, and therefore no one cannot be religious..unless that part of your brain is missing.

á´…eparted

passages
thing about atheism is it is religious...it states that there is no deity, it therefore states a meaning of negating a deity and therefore is a religion since any meaning or attribute on existence serves the religious function of the brain..a human cannot part from the religious function of the brain, which is now pure science so even reductionists must admit it, and therefore no one cannot be religious..unless that part of your brain is missing.

Atheism does not fit the definition of religion at all. Some can act religious by being very fervant in their stance, but that doesn't make it a religion.

This also just sounds like a bunch of psychobabble. Of course someone can be free of religion. You are trying to make a connection that isn't there. There isn't some "religious part" of the brain. That is nonsense. All there is is areas that are often activated in those who are religious.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Atheism does not fit the definition of religion at all. Some can act religious by being very fervant in their stance, but that doesn't make it a religion.

This also just sounds like a bunch of psychobabble. Of course someone can be free of religion. You are trying to make a connection that isn't there. There isn't some "religious part" of the brain. That is nonsense. All there is is areas that are often activated in those who are religious.
I am not religious at all, yet I still allow myself the luxury of feeling appreciation for the natural world I am lucky enough to observe. I did not have to be conceived, but I was.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You aren't atheist. Also, the fact that you list yourself as 7w1 probably isn't good. 7 disintegrates to 1.

I am going to take it that you meant that humorously. I believe that empathy and compassion should be central to our relations with others, yet I do not believe in gods. I treat others kindly because I want to be treated kindly myself. I try not to be a hypocrite.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
But I believe the universe has always existed, and this world is just one of many before.
Also, I believe the world was created through the laws of physics, biological evolution, and chemistry.
The laws of physics are God. They are the reason we exist. They are what bind us to this planet. They are responsible for everything.

Pantheistic Naturalism, also known as Humanistic Pantheistic Naturalism if you also believe in treating your peers respectfully.

Passacaglia

You sound like an atheist who'd rather confuse people than offend them. ;)

That said, they're all labels, and you can call yourself whatever you want.

TheCheeseBurgerKing

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Point is that no one knows that God doesn't exist dude.

Obviously you can choose to believe that this all came from... nothing (that makes total sense!), but it's really ignorant.
If you really want to sit there by yourself and choose not to believe in God (intruding on no one with it), then you're right in that you aren't an asshole, but guess what; it's still ignorant. People who passively doubt God are still technically agnostic.

So you're a depressive atheist. My words to you are, you don't know that there is no God/supernatural. You are being rational by withholding your faith due to lack of evidence, but my advice is to have hope, open you're mind up, and re-evaluate dude. There is evidence out there. God doesn't have to be just like what anyone says God is like. God could be like that, and he also could be nothing like that. Believing in God just means that you believe there is a force that is super natural.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ

Fair enough.

what about spiritual? Do you think someone can be non-religious and spiritual?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I think the thing is is that you're using the label of God to mean something it really doesn't. You're sort of transforming the word into something you understand, vs what other's understand.

Your definition is that God does NOT exist. That a higher being, or power, or force created the world out of an act of will and power. You're definitely atheist if you just remove the word God from your text. You would call it science to others.

TheCheeseBurgerKing

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
I think the thing is is that you're using the label of God to mean something it really doesn't. You're sort of transforming the word into something you understand, vs what other's understand.

Your definition is that God does NOT exist. That a higher being, or power, or force created the world out of an act of will and power. You're definitely atheist if you just remove the word God from your text. You would call it science to others.

That is in no way being an atheist.

The difference between you and magic qwan vs myself (I'm not gonna speak for GarrotTheTheif because I don't know exactly whats in his head) is that I use God as a synonym with divine supernatural force. You two are thinking of the mass public perception of what established religions say "God" is. No offense, but that's silly.

God is supposed to be something that we understand as individuals. I'd have to reread garrot's post but it sounded to me like he was passively implying that he believes in "God" as I am defining it.

In essence, none of us disagree.

Cygnus

It never sat well with me that the stereotypical Atheist (as opposed to mere Agnostic) is alledgedly NTP while STP is so often tied to mainstream religions. They're practically the same type.

.....Maybe it's because you can sway Ti to work for any side you choose if you use it the right way, but Ne vs. Se would make it more of a social issue, where Se-using STPs support an active religious structure in society while Ne-using NTPs feel intruded upon and threatened by it.

TheCheeseBurgerKing

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
It never sat well with me that the stereotypical Atheist (as opposed to mere Agnostic) is alledgedly NTP while STP is so often tied to mainstream religions. They're practically the same type.

.....Maybe it's because you can sway Ti to work for any side you choose if you use it the right way, but Ne vs. Se would make it more of a social issue, where Se-using STPs support an active religious structure in society while Ne-using NTPs feel intruded upon and threatened by it.

Its all about truth and evidence to me dude. Obviously theres some religious stuff thats crap, or at least really seems like it, but there comes a point where you realize when you just don't know. What I do know is that, alongside all the universal principles that are pertainant across all religions, you can look at something like circumstances of exorcisms and know that theres something more.

Say what you want about people lying, the point is that there are cases that have been witnessed and legally documented by state governments stating things like children running up walls and screaming in foreign languages that theres no way they knew. A person can choose to "not believe", but the evidence of paranormal instances speaks for itself.

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP

It's just an INTP mind game. The OP makes a statement that means one thing, and then he/she re-defines the individual elements of that statement in such a way that the elements add up to mean the opposite of the statement as a whole. It's just semantics.

OP says "I believe in God." But then OP goes on to define "belief" and "God" and his/her view of the workings of the universe in such mundane terms that it all adds up to a profoundly non-religious point of view.

So in the end there's no right answer. When responding, the reader simply states a preference as to how or where he/she wishes to place the semantic emphasis: On the statement as a whole or on the sum of the individual elements.

For me, as an atheist, I see the statement "I believe in God" and I respond, "You're no atheist." I don't really care how you define God; I don't care if you define God as a deity or as a booger up your nose or as a turd floating in your toilet. To me, the bottom line is: As soon as you bring God into the equation, you're no atheist. People define God and spirituality in so many different ways today, that it's not my job to worry about your definition of God or fuss about whether you're a deist or something else. In my case, I simply conclude that you're not an atheist.

But again, it's all just semantics. In fact someone could probably argue with me and poke around in Wikipedia and find some obscure definition of atheism that allows for belief in a God that's not a deity or some such crap. Religion and spirituality are fertile fields for these kinds of ridiculous semantic games precisely because any of the terms can be defined pretty much any way you want.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Fair enough.

what about spiritual? Do you think someone can be non-religious and spiritual?

Sure they can. I have a friend who's like that. They don't believe in a deity or anything and they're not sure about if there's an "afterlife" or not but they believe that there is something to the universe that we can never comprehend that has to do with the purpose of life (if there is one at all) and wondering why anything exists (and if nonexistence would even be possible) and stuff along that line. Well, I guess that depends on one's definition of "spiritual". Sounds spiritual to me but I guess one could also label it as "worshipping the Universe" if they wanted to.

Now I'm not even sure. Lol