User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by RandomINTP View Post
    That's the point. It doesn't add up as a whole, because I'm not sure what to believe in. When the time comes, when it makes sense, I'll make up my mind, but until then, I'll leave it open and speculate.
    As you please. But in the meantime, you already have my answer to the OP: As long as you insist on bringing God into the picture, you're no atheist.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Its different again from the "God" of non-theistic or atheistic humanists such as Erich Fromm, which I think was in the final instance a sort of materialistic reinterpretation of Jungian ideas about archetypes and the collective unconscious.
    I think Jung's stuff about sexual archetypes, like the anima and the animus, is kind of on the nose. Have you ever noticed that some men can't get past thinking of all women as saintly something I was guilty of at one point, or that some women can't get past thinking of all men as men of action trying to dominate their environment?

I guess you can't falsify any of this stuff, but if you think about it on the level of metaphors, like you would in English class, it makes sense. I had to use my intuition for that, though.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by 21lux View Post
    Sure they can. I have a friend who's like that. They don't believe in a deity or anything and they're not sure about if there's an "afterlife" or not but they believe that there is something to the universe that we can never comprehend that has to do with the purpose of life (if there is one at all) and wondering why anything exists (and if nonexistence would even be possible) and stuff along that line. Well, I guess that depends on one's definition of "spiritual". Sounds spiritual to me but I guess one could also label it as "worshipping the Universe" if they wanted to.

Now I'm not even sure. Lol
    I have a friend like that too actually. He migrates to California to "farm" on a collective.
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.
    Likes yama liked this post

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by RandomINTP View Post
    That's the point. It doesn't add up as a whole, because I'm not sure what to believe in. When the time comes, when it makes sense, I'll make up my mind, but until then, I'll leave it open and speculate.
    Fair enough.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by TheCheeseBurgerKing View Post
    Point is that no one knows that God doesn't exist dude.

Obviously you can choose to believe that this all came from... nothing (that makes total sense!), but it's really ignorant.
    If you really want to sit there by yourself and choose not to believe in God (intruding on no one with it), then you're right in that you aren't an asshole, but guess what; it's still ignorant. People who passively doubt God are still technically agnostic.

So you're a depressive atheist. My words to you are, you don't know that there is no God/supernatural. You are being rational by withholding your faith due to lack of evidence, but my advice is to have hope, open you're mind up, and re-evaluate dude. There is evidence out there. God doesn't have to be just like what anyone says God is like. God could be like that, and he also could be nothing like that. Believing in God just means that you believe there is a force that is super natural.

The video above this sentence is an argument for why choosing one religion over another is inherently just a blind guess if your goal is metaphysical truth.

Also, there is the matter of the supernatural being, by definition, not part of nature and thus not natural. Everything we observe is natural, as in it can be explained by natural laws. Thus, anything we observe is not supernatural. That which is not observable cannot be denied or confirmed. That said, as denial is the default position for most natural scenarios until evidence is provided, because confirmation would lead to contradictions between the now conflicting scenarios, it is simpler and more logical to dismiss claims until evidence for a claim is submitted. For example, the hypothesis that a distant, unobservable planet is square cannot be true if the hypothesis that the planet is round is true.

The video below provides an illustration of my point.

In conclusion, while a supernatural force cannot be DISPROVED, without evidence, it falls into the same box as the telepathic werewalrus detailed in the video.
    Last edited by The Wailing Specter; 04-06-2015 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Finishing it off...
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan
    Likes Hard liked this post

Injustice Needs To stoP RandomINTP's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx

For those who didn't understand what I meant, I KNOW I'm not an Atheist,
    but I'm asking you guys, if you think my belief is Atheistic or not.
    I don't believe I'm an Atheist, but I considered my belief to be that, but I wasn't sure.
    MBTI:
    Alignment: Chaotic-Neutral
    Sins: Pride > Sloth > Gluttony > Wrath > Greed > Lust > Envy

"Only two things are infinite. The universe, and human stupidity, but I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
    "You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." -Dr. Seuss
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -J. K. Rowling

Senior Member TheCheeseBurgerKing's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP

@Magic Qwan Although I didn't read more than your first sentence, I completely understand that. Trust me dude.
    I usually don't debate about this because, obviously, it goes no where. I was feeling really intense on the day that I originally posted in this thread. I do believe in God and supernatural, but I'm not gonna keep talking to you about it because trying to convince you isn't worth my time at all, and it probably wouldn't work.

Enneagram

By today's standards, no. Technically, you probably are. I guess you're a lower-case atheist.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Your definition of "God" sounds very much like the definitions I've heard given to the Tao in the Tao De Ching
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson