MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by RandomINTP View Post
    This is what I believe in:
    "God" is a synonym for "the reason the world exists".
    I believe there is a reason for everything, so I believe in God.
    But I believe the universe has always existed, and this world is just one of many before.
    Also, I believe the world was created through the laws of physics, biological evolution, and chemistry.
    That's the reason why the world exists, in my opinion, so that would mean
    The laws of physics are God. They are the reason we exist. They are what bind us to this planet. They are responsible for everything.
    I believe in God by definition, but not in a deity.

Now to the question: Does that count as Atheism, or Deism?
    Pantheistic Naturalism, also known as Humanistic Pantheistic Naturalism if you also believe in treating your peers respectfully.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

But I believe the universe has always existed, and this world is just one of many before.
    Also, I believe the world was created through the laws of physics, biological evolution, and chemistry.
    The laws of physics are God. They are the reason we exist. They are what bind us to this planet. They are responsible for everything.

You sound like an atheist who'd rather confuse people than offend them.

That said, they're all labels, and you can call yourself whatever you want.

Senior Member TheCheeseBurgerKing's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP

Point is that no one knows that God doesn't exist dude.

Obviously you can choose to believe that this all came from... nothing (that makes total sense!), but it's really ignorant.
    If you really want to sit there by yourself and choose not to believe in God (intruding on no one with it), then you're right in that you aren't an asshole, but guess what; it's still ignorant. People who passively doubt God are still technically agnostic.

So you're a depressive atheist. My words to you are, you don't know that there is no God/supernatural. You are being rational by withholding your faith due to lack of evidence, but my advice is to have hope, open you're mind up, and re-evaluate dude. There is evidence out there. God doesn't have to be just like what anyone says God is like. God could be like that, and he also could be nothing like that. Believing in God just means that you believe there is a force that is super natural.

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Atheism does not fit the definition of religion at all. Some can act religious by being very fervant in their stance, but that doesn't make it a religion.

This also just sounds like a bunch of psychobabble. Of course someone can be free of religion. You are trying to make a connection that isn't there. There isn't some "religious part" of the brain. That is nonsense. All there is is areas that are often activated in those who are religious.

Fair enough.

what about spiritual? Do you think someone can be non-religious and spiritual?
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I think the thing is is that you're using the label of God to mean something it really doesn't. You're sort of transforming the word into something you understand, vs what other's understand.

Your definition is that God does NOT exist. That a higher being, or power, or force created the world out of an act of will and power. You're definitely atheist if you just remove the word God from your text. You would call it science to others.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes The Wailing Specter, /DG/ liked this post

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I think the thing is is that you're using the label of God to mean something it really doesn't. You're sort of transforming the word into something you understand, vs what other's understand.

Your definition is that God does NOT exist. That a higher being, or power, or force created the world out of an act of will and power. You're definitely atheist if you just remove the word God from your text. You would call it science to others.
    That is in no way being an atheist.

The difference between you and magic qwan vs myself (I'm not gonna speak for GarrotTheTheif because I don't know exactly whats in his head) is that I use God as a synonym with divine supernatural force. You two are thinking of the mass public perception of what established religions say "God" is. No offense, but that's silly.

God is supposed to be something that we understand as individuals. I'd have to reread garrot's post but it sounded to me like he was passively implying that he believes in "God" as I am defining it.

In essence, none of us disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCheeseBurgerKing View Post
    Atheists are assholes in denial.
    It never sat well with me that the stereotypical Atheist (as opposed to mere Agnostic) is alledgedly NTP while STP is so often tied to mainstream religions. They're practically the same type.

.....Maybe it's because you can sway Ti to work for any side you choose if you use it the right way, but Ne vs. Se would make it more of a social issue, where Se-using STPs support an active religious structure in society while Ne-using NTPs feel intruded upon and threatened by it.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
    It never sat well with me that the stereotypical Atheist (as opposed to mere Agnostic) is alledgedly NTP while STP is so often tied to mainstream religions. They're practically the same type.

.....Maybe it's because you can sway Ti to work for any side you choose if you use it the right way, but Ne vs. Se would make it more of a social issue, where Se-using STPs support an active religious structure in society while Ne-using NTPs feel intruded upon and threatened by it.
    Its all about truth and evidence to me dude. Obviously theres some religious stuff thats crap, or at least really seems like it, but there comes a point where you realize when you just don't know. What I do know is that, alongside all the universal principles that are pertainant across all religions, you can look at something like circumstances of exorcisms and know that theres something more.

Say what you want about people lying, the point is that there are cases that have been witnessed and legally documented by state governments stating things like children running up walls and screaming in foreign languages that theres no way they knew. A person can choose to "not believe", but the evidence of paranormal instances speaks for itself.

MBTI
    INFP

It's just an INTP mind game. The OP makes a statement that means one thing, and then he/she re-defines the individual elements of that statement in such a way that the elements add up to mean the opposite of the statement as a whole. It's just semantics.

OP says "I believe in God." But then OP goes on to define "belief" and "God" and his/her view of the workings of the universe in such mundane terms that it all adds up to a profoundly non-religious point of view.

So in the end there's no right answer. When responding, the reader simply states a preference as to how or where he/she wishes to place the semantic emphasis: On the statement as a whole or on the sum of the individual elements.

For me, as an atheist, I see the statement "I believe in God" and I respond, "You're no atheist." I don't really care how you define God; I don't care if you define God as a deity or as a booger up your nose or as a turd floating in your toilet. To me, the bottom line is: As soon as you bring God into the equation, you're no atheist. People define God and spirituality in so many different ways today, that it's not my job to worry about your definition of God or fuss about whether you're a deist or something else. In my case, I simply conclude that you're not an atheist.

But again, it's all just semantics. In fact someone could probably argue with me and poke around in Wikipedia and find some obscure definition of atheism that allows for belief in a God that's not a deity or some such crap. Religion and spirituality are fertile fields for these kinds of ridiculous semantic games precisely because any of the terms can be defined pretty much any way you want.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    I'm Fe

Quote Originally Posted by GarrotTheThief View Post
    Fair enough.

what about spiritual? Do you think someone can be non-religious and spiritual?
    Sure they can. I have a friend who's like that. They don't believe in a deity or anything and they're not sure about if there's an "afterlife" or not but they believe that there is something to the universe that we can never comprehend that has to do with the purpose of life (if there is one at all) and wondering why anything exists (and if nonexistence would even be possible) and stuff along that line. Well, I guess that depends on one's definition of "spiritual". Sounds spiritual to me but I guess one could also label it as "worshipping the Universe" if they wanted to.

Now I'm not even sure. Lol
    Likes GarrotTheThief liked this post