• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

philosophical movies

Lark

What do you recommend? I'm watching I heart huckabees, apparently a big philosophical movie, before that I watched The Machinist, although that may have been a recommend on films featuring loneliness, I'm not quite sure.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"The Grey" gives a pretty fair experience of existentialism, as seven guys wrestle with survival after their plane crashes in Alaska/arctic regions. They actually discuss various life philosophies and god and social/cultural memes at one point (organically).

Others:
- My Dinner with Andre
- The Truman Show
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
- Waking Life (have watched about half of it)
- Boyhood (another Linklater pic)
- Dogville
- Gattaca
- Solaris

The Matrix explores some influential philosophies (including Boudrillard) although in a more mass-market directed way.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The Fountain. It's about the quest for immortality, and death... in the modern age, among 16th century Spaniards, and in the future. The ending is one of the best endings I've ever seen in a movie anywhere.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
-Rosencratz and Guildenstern Are Dead (by Tom Stoppard, reminiscent of Waiting For Godot)

-Stalker (by Tarkovsky, same guy who did Solaris)

Dopa

MBTI Type
INTP
I saw the Nutty Professor on TV last night, and I realized, wow, this is literally the same plot as Fight Club. A lot of movies are. I used to wonder how Chuck Palahniuk thought of something so great. Now I'm just like, "oh."

Jet Stream

Permabanned
MBTI Type
istp
Enneagram
gvf
Taxi Driver. Definitely Taxi Driver. That would probably be number one in my book. Other philosophical films I've seen include...Groundhog Day, American Beauty, and surprisingly Pulp Fiction which features many deeper themes within its story if analyzed closely enough. Probably others.

vorfreude

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Stalker +1, Interstellar, Inception, Being John Malkovich, Eyes Wide Shut, Life of Brian ;), Stranger Than Fiction, Life of Pi, In Bruges, The Invention of Lying, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, The Curious Case of Benjamin Buttons, Talk to Her, Women on the Verge of Nervous Breakdown, any of the Emir Kusturica movies: Black Cat White Cat, Life Is A Miracle, When Father Went Away On Business etc...

probably my favorite genre...keep them coming, please! :)

laurapants08

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Mr Nobody kinda blew my mind. It wasn't just philosophy but quantum Physics as well. It your into the butterfly effect, chaos theory or physics or multiverses check it out.

Imagine the story the last mortal could tell if we were ever to progress to Eternal life?

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Gattaca- probably my favorite movie ever

Pleasantville- up there way up there, some good examples of MBTI types as well

Truman Show- good

Shutter Island

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I'll second Waking Life and throw I Am onto the list as well.
They Live
Fight Club
American Psycho (in a way)
Moon
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
It's A Wonderful Life
Ikiru (It's like a Japanese It's A Wonderful Life, but it's a lot less cheesy)
Citizen Kane

TV Shows:
Wilfred (It's like Fight Club, but in some ways, more deranged.)
Twilight Zone

I could see arguments for and against these movie though. While some may not be explicitly philosophical, they all certainly carry important messages that can leave you thinking.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Gattaca- probably my favorite movie ever

:cry:

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Forgot to throw Batman: The Dark Knight onto my list.

I'd also highly recommend Gattaca, if not for philosophy, for entertainment alone.

Little_Sticks

I liked these as well, but Holy Mountain and Enter the Void might be hard for some people to sit through,

Ran
Rashomon
Devil's Advocate
The Holy Mountain
Enter the Void
12 Angry Men
Ghost in the Shell
Scientology and the Prison of Belief

Serial Experiments Lain was a pretty decent philosophical anime tv show.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I liked these as well, but Holy Mountain and Enter the Void might be hard for some people to sit through,

Ran
Rashomon
Devil's Advocate
The Holy Mountain
Enter the Void
12 Angry Men
Ghost in the Shell
Scientology and the Prison of Belief

Serial Experiments Lain was a pretty decent philosophical anime tv show.

12 Angry Men is an excellent movie. I suppose that movie is buried deep in my brain. I like the idea of somebody being able to use logic to convince people to go ahead and do the right thing and adhere to the right principles.

I haven't seen the movie, but Ghost in the Shell is an excellent series. Anything dealing with the boundaries between humans and machines is bound to interest me.

Finally, Holy Mountain is also incredible. I rewatched it a few weeks ago, and "got it" in a way I didn't get it before. Things clicked that didn't click. Before, I just thought it was a crazy movie, but I couldn't piece together what it was actually saying. Now I think I get it. My favorite segment is probably the Pantheon Bar and Grill, where most of the seekers for the Holy Mountain get stuck. And of course, who can forget Axon of Neptune's sanctuary? (Also, the Enneagram symbol makes an appearance in several places.)

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Oh yeah add 12 angry men. Also for TV, Twilight Zone or bust. Kinda cheating but I looked online for more, I liked The Green Mile, not sure if it is really philosophical but i liked it. Personally Shawshank Repemption is high as a kite on my list. Might be a bit corny, but to Kill a Mockingbird is good if you havent already seen it. One flew over the cuckoos nest, K-Pax. Stranger than fiction, that one I liked. Anyways they might not all be what you would generally consider deeply philosophical, but most of them can make you think.

Kas

Fabula rasa
I want to recommend you some polish movies. Otherwise I wouldn't be myself.

"Decalogue" K. Kieślowski- miniseries which is variation about ten commandments
“Talking heads” K. Kieślowski- documentary about people different age answering simple questions about themselves (who they are, what is the most important for them)
“Life as a fatal sexually transmitted disease” K. Zanussi – old man dying, reconsidering his opinion about life and death
“Squint your eyes” A. Jakimowski- about the young girl who runs away from home and about the moments that passed away

Z Buck McFate I really like "Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead":) it is so funny

From the new movies- "Her" is somehow (ethically/ sociologically) interesting.

Tippo

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Sphere the book not the movie
Gattaca
Donnie darko
The jerk

- - - Updated - - -

Fight club

laurapants08

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Gattaca appeared on this thread more then once now. I guess I'm going to have to see it.