Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

This sort of claptrap isn't worth paying any attention to, let alone discussing.

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    This sort of claptrap isn't worth paying any attention to, let alone discussing.
    You say this not because it's absurd it's because you have no retort.

Everything he said is completely accurate.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Seriously, I don't understand why Christians are expected to shoulder the burden of the hell that lies within their system of beliefs and yet atheists don't have to shoulder the burden of the absolute abyss that lurks beneath all their beliefs.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    You say this not because it's absurd it's because you have no retort.

Everything he said is completely accurate.
    Good grief. It's just stupid sensationalist arguments and the guy doesn't even deserve to have a news article about it. You don't need to believe in some particular version of God to respect other people as equivalent beings and treat them the way you want to be treated yourself. It's why society works at all regardless of the religious views or absence of them in a culture.

I think it's kind of frightening that he thinks it's okay to publicly promote scenarios of butchering atheists. All it does is direct hostility at that demographic and eventually some dumbass is going to do it "to teach those atheists a lesson." If someone was promoting scenarios about butchering Christians because "it doesn't matter anyone, they're going to heaven and they should be able to suffer in this life just like Jesus did since in the end they'll be okay" or some other piece of utter stupidity, I'm sure you and other Christians would have something to say about it. As you should.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Good grief. It's just stupid sensationalist arguments and the guy doesn't even deserve to have a news article about it. You don't need to believe in some particular version of God to respect other people as equivalent beings and treat them the way you want to be treated yourself. It's why society works at all regardless of the religious views or absence of them in a culture.
    So, let me get this straight your argument is that society will meet the right end regardless of whether or not somebody believes in the right end?

Is that a fair assessment?

That's what I believe, too, at least in the long run and by the common grace of God that extends to the just and unjust.

But, you realize how absurd such an argument is coming from an atheist? You and I are presuming there is a "right function" of society. They don't. Or if they do then they're contradicting themselves.

Are you totally sure beliefs don't have some impact? Have you seen how nihilism seeps down into the underclass and what it does to them without even knowing what it is they believe?

I think it's kind of frightening that he thinks it's okay to publicly promote scenarios of butchering atheists. All it does is direct hostility at that demographic and eventually some dumbass is going to do it "to teach those atheists a lesson." If someone was promoting scenarios about butchering Christians because "it doesn't matter anyone, they're going to heaven and they should be able to suffer in this life just like Jesus did" or some other piece of utter stupidity, I'm sure you and other Christians would have something to say about it.
    This isn't a serious complaint is it?

He finished with this:
    "We never, ever judge someone on who's going to heaven, hell. That's the Almighty's job. We just love 'em, give 'em the good news about Jesus—whether they're homosexuals, drunks, terrorists. We let God sort 'em out later, you see what I'm saying?"

He is trying to emotionally engage people, but that seems to be the only way to get through to people even though his statements are COMPLETELY RATIONAL.

Here's the thing: You can only fault him IF HE'S RIGHT. Otherwise you just disagree with him and he may be violating some random rule of society by being offensive.

Nobody here can seriously deny the fact that Atheists do not believe in a universal right and wrong or in a final judgement.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Where there is no love, there is no God.

It really takes a terrible human being to speak about those things though.
    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    St. Stephen took rocks and St. Sebastian took arrows. You only have to take some jerks on an internet forum. Nut up.

Quote Originally Posted by ReadingRainbows View Post
    Where there is no love, there is no God.

It really takes a terrible human being to speak about those things though.
    It's a matter of context and purpose. I don't think he had to go as far as he did to make his point.

At least you can condemn it as a believer.
    An atheist can only honestly say they prefer people not to talk like that.

I don't understand Phil Robertson's hypothetical comments, other than, the guy looks and acts like a hillbilly that's lacking social graces. I guess he thought he was being funny.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

??? What bizarre logic.

Morality is not dependent on religious belief; some universals do exist. I am too tired to discuss a biological basis for morality, but breaking into somebody's house, killing their family and castrating them is not something people anywhere would consider to be appropriate.

Morals begin to diverge in situations where our security/life is not in immediate danger.
    Likes /DG/ liked this post