• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Attack

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
Someone in my house bought a Kay Robertson shower scrub (it has her characterized visage built into it) with which I scrubbed my balls clean. Felt good.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
That's in the old testament and perhaps taken out of context or misinterpreted. Without getting into a deep philosophical discussion, I'll simply say, the Bible is a love story and God is love. That's the big picture. Many Christians get it and some don't. The father in the article @<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/members/4050.html" target="_blank">ceecee</a> posted doesn't get it.

I'm not sure what more context is needed in this particular case? "Oh, well that is the Old Testament" or "oh, those were different times" is a rather common response to situations like this. If the Old Testament is so contradictory to modern teachings, why is it still used beyond the book of Genesis?

I just wanted to see some fireworks. :p

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
I just wanted to see some fireworks. :p

I love that Phil stuff. The best part of the Duck Dynasty crew is moments like Phil going unscripted.

Reminds me of when I was in the Marines in the 70s. There were good ol' Southern boys galore in the military in the Vietnam period, both black and white. They taught me to chew tobacco, dip snuff, and play poker.

But you didn't want to screw with their religion. One time I was talking with two of them and they said that God wouldn't like something or other that I said. So I told them that their God could go fuck himself. They both looked like they were going to have a heart attack, and they backed away from me. They admitted afterward that they literally believed I would be struck by lightning. And we were indoors. I kind of felt bad for saying that when I saw how it affected them.

- - - Updated - - -

Someone in my house bought a Kay Robertson shower scrub (it has her characterized visage built into it) with which I scrubbed my balls clean. Felt good.

I lol'ed.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Some religious folks believe that religion is the basis of morality; I don't agree but I found nothing offensive in what Phil said. It's just a bad hypothetical.

LonestarCowgirl

I'm not sure what more context is needed in this particular case? "Oh, well that is the Old Testament" or "oh, those were different times" is a rather common response to situations like this. If the Old Testament is so contradictory to modern teachings, why is it still used beyond the book of Genesis?
Context as in understanding the surrounding scripture; also, who is speaking in the scripture and to whom. There are also words that may not be properly interpreted or translated from the Greek and Hebrew texts; so if one was truly trying to understand the meaning of a scripture, they wouldn't take the denotation of every word (for face value). Some research into the Greek and Hebrew meaning of words and how they fit into the larger context is necessary for a complete understanding.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think that's abusive, and definitely not what the Bible teaches Christians to say to their children or anyone for that matter. Faith, hope, love... 1 Corinthians 13:4-13...

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
I like your application of Christianity. It is much better than what Phil or most fundies I encounter spout anyway.

/DG/

Context as in understanding the surrounding scripture; also, who is speaking in the scripture and to whom.

So Deuteronomy (where that random quote was taken from) is essentially Moses speaking to the Israelites, as far as my knowledge goes. Correct? He is speaking about general rules and such. Again, I'm not sure how this changes anything. Surrounding passages speak of other rules.

There are also words that may not be properly interpreted or translated from the Greek and Hebrew texts; so if one was truly trying to understand the meaning of a scripture, they wouldn't take every word for face value and out of context. Some research into the Greek and Hebrew meaning of words and how they fit into the larger context is necessary.

? So if these words weren't translated well, then why does a better translation not exist at this point in time? This passage is the same in the translations that I have seen. I'm not sure how stoning someone to death would be ambiguous in any language.

*Edit* I have an exam soon. Please yell at me if I return to this thread before 15 hours after this post.

LonestarCowgirl

So Deuteronomy (where that random quote was taken from) is essentially Moses speaking to the Israelites, as far as my knowledge goes. Correct? He is speaking about general rules and such. Again, I'm not sure how this changes anything. Surrounding passages speak of other rules.

? So if these words weren't translated well, then why does a better translation not exist at this point in time? This passage is the same in the translations that I have seen. I'm not sure how stoning someone to death would be ambiguous in any language.

*Edit* I have an exam soon. Please yell at me if I return to this thread before 15 hours after this post.

I tweaked my post a little. Please reread and let me know if it doesn't provide clarity. I'm feeling tired now, so I'll try to get back to you tomorrow.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What is Phil Robertson even getting at with that flimsy metaphor? Is he implying that people who don't believe in a god are amoral and incapable of telling right from wrong? Then how does he account for the Five Precepts of Buddhism?

á´…eparted

passages
What is Phil Robertson even getting at with that flimsy metaphor? Is he implying that people who don't believe in a god are amoral and incapable of telling right from wrong? Then how does he account for the Five Precepts of Buddhism?

I wouldn't be surprised if he's pulling double duty: sharing his beliefs, but spicing them up a bit in the process to gain press. Likely doesn't care beyond that, in particular if the latter is the primary motivation.

Dopa

MBTI Type
INTP
Christians are just mad because it is easy to criticize their version of things. An atheist who lives a good life gets damned, while the worst person ever could go to heaven if he just asked for forgiveness and "got saved" before dying.

I don't see what this hillbilly's point is, beyond wishful thinking about the eternal punishment of wrongdoers. If some guy rapes and kills your family in front of you, yeah, he might get away with it. Life sucks, ya know? That's nature for you. Believing he will go to hell does what, exactly?

Certainly none of it changes the way sane, nonpsychopathic people would want to treat each other. Just because there are no god-given rules doesn't mean we can't choose to behave kindly and reasonably.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Atheism rejects an aprioristic morality, not morality per se.

While many religious conservatives would expect the murder to receive the bulk of his punishment in afterlife, I know a couple of libertarian Atheists who would advocate medieval punishments for him.

/DG/

Certainly none of it changes the way sane, nonpsychopathic people would want to treat each other. Just because there are no god-given rules doesn't mean we can't choose to behave kindly and reasonably.

No no. I'm afraid you have this a bit wrong. You see, as an atheist, the only thing holding me back from my acting on my clearly strong and constant homicidal urges is the risk of getting caught.

Jaguar

The Duck Dynasty star made an intense and shocking speech at a Christian event on Friday in Florida where he created a hypothetical situation involving an atheist family that was meant to "show" that people who don't believe in an afterlife would make any level of violence would be OK and morally sound.

And what if I in turn created a hypothetical situation where catholic priests were having sex with small boys and they deemed it morally sound.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And what if I in turn created a hypothetical situation where catholic priests were having sex with small boys and they deemed it morally sound.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well I agree with that. Same as there is something wrong with this father that feels that speaking to his atheist son - “The reality is, you’re talking to a dead person.”

I'm not really sure I understand this statement unless his son is comatose.

I've already seen that far too much... and experienced it to some degree myself.

Some can take it to more extremes than others (based on Paul's "what do the things of Belial have to do with the things of light?" comments in 2 Cor 6:15, referencing Ps. 101:3 and other verses). Philosophically, if someone has made the choice to be a damned soul by not accepting Jesus, though, they already are living in everlasting death despite their living body, because they are tainted by sin and born into a body of death... according to the basic theology.

So it's not really surprising to hear people say it. It's just sad. But that's what happens when you elevate a particular intellectual doctrine over actual relationship. Still, the religious faith demands that kind of adherence... so this is the end result. If you don't share the belief, you're easily an outcast from the community.