It, not him.

Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

He pronks, too! Array Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    What is Phil Robertson even getting at with that flimsy metaphor? Is he implying that people who don't believe in a god are amoral and incapable of telling right from wrong? Then how does he account for the Five Precepts of Buddhism?

Surely, he's never even heard of those.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right
    Likes windoverlake liked this post

I don't believe in God, but when I see another person, I want to treat them well, because they feel like an extension of myself. I share the pain of the world, so why wouldn't I want to alleviate some of it (or at least not add to the pain). Sometimes I do feel cut off from that feeling of unity and will say/do mean things. I'm not perfect. The key for me is to remember, even when I don't feel connected to everything, that I am. So if I cause pain during a moment of disconnection, I know I'll only regret it later, once I reconnect.
    Likes The Wailing Specter, Passacaglia liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
    Wouldn't it be something if this was something wrong with this? But you're the one who says there is no God, there's no right, there's no wrong, so we're just having fun.

But hey, sin: It's not logical, my man. It's just not logical.
    lololololololololololololololololololololololololo lololololololololololololololololololololololololo lolololololololololololololololololololololol

Oh, the things that simple fundies say.

Google "chemtrails" Array Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    359 sp/so
    LIE Ni

Sensationalism. We've heard variations of this about a billion times. It's the same old gut-wrenching nonsense, but this time spouted by a guy that people actually listen to.
    J. Scott Crothers
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Seriously, I don't understand why Christians are expected to shoulder the burden of the hell that lies within their system of beliefs and yet atheists don't have to shoulder the burden of the absolute abyss that lurks beneath all their beliefs.
    Just because one doesn't believe in a God it doesn't mean that person lacks empathy. So if the whole world would become atheist one day it doesn't mean they would commit heinous crimes on each other till everyone is tortured and killed.

People have empathy. It's biological.

^ Ironically that's one main thing God in Abrahimic religions seem to lack among many other thing.

The murdered and the rapist described it surely a psychopath; who are another wonderful gift from God. And guess what, there is no cure?

Also there are quite a lot of God believers (including Christians) that has committed many atrocities due to influences of their Holy books. So it seems that not believing in an afterlife doesn't necessarily mean less more crimes would be commited than those who do.
    Likes Passacaglia, The Wailing Specter liked this post

Nobody here can seriously deny the fact that Atheists do not believe in a universal right and wrong or in a final judgement.
    How long do you plan to dig up this late horse? You are the only person here who thinks he needs universals to take a piss.

Universal right and wrong are not necessary to judge any event in history. Human concepts, grown out of emotion and reflection, are perfectly sufficient. If you have trouble getting it in your head that atheists use these words with different meaning (not referring to absolutes, that is), you can exchange them in your head for various words describing possible dispositions toward a matter ranging from total agreement to total disagreement. Though it is probably true that some atheists unreflectedly believe in absolute moral values, it is not the case that reflecting on them would necessarily result in a more lenient judgment. After all, in most cases, morality resides in the guts.

The english in that article is awful, so is the incident which triggered it.

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    This sort of claptrap isn't worth paying any attention to, let alone discussing.
    Now that you mention it, thinking ultra-extremist barbarians are at all representative of the modern human state is like condemning a restaurant because they served you one burnt fry.
    Likes The Wailing Specter liked this post

Permabanned Array

It, not him.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Christianity preach that once these child raping & murdering people accept Jesus Christ as their savior (And according to jail statistics they will almost certainly will), they will be accepted into heaven? Didn't Jesus die for their sins, including those? And if that's the case, isn't god the lenient one? If god is rewarding our child murdering rapist, and we still agree that this is bad behavior, are we not creating a moral standard divorced from that of god?

Look, I don't expect you to change your beliefs in regards to god or religious morals, that is your own business, but I do think you are capable of understanding how atheists and agnostic are able to incorporate humanitarian and empathetic values without dependence of god, because if you believe that the child killing rapists are doing something bad - despite the belief that god might later accept them into heaven - you are doing the same.

And I am guessing you do, because you are capable of visualizing the pain of the daughters and their parents and see how much suffering these action cause, and you are capable of getting angry at these bastards for causing it, and wishing them away. You don't need the belief in god, you just need a belief in other people.