Thread: Attack

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    What is Phil Robertson even getting at with that flimsy metaphor? Is he implying that people who don't believe in a god are amoral and incapable of telling right from wrong? Then how does he account for the Five Precepts of Buddhism?
    I wouldn't be surprised if he's pulling double duty: sharing his beliefs, but spicing them up a bit in the process to gain press. Likely doesn't care beyond that, in particular if the latter is the primary motivation.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    INTP

Christians are just mad because it is easy to criticize their version of things. An atheist who lives a good life gets damned, while the worst person ever could go to heaven if he just asked for forgiveness and "got saved" before dying.

I don't see what this hillbilly's point is, beyond wishful thinking about the eternal punishment of wrongdoers. If some guy rapes and kills your family in front of you, yeah, he might get away with it. Life sucks, ya know? That's nature for you. Believing he will go to hell does what, exactly?

Certainly none of it changes the way sane, nonpsychopathic people would want to treat each other. Just because there are no god-given rules doesn't mean we can't choose to behave kindly and reasonably.
    Likes Hard, /DG/, The Wailing Specter liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Atheism rejects an aprioristic morality, not morality per se.

While many religious conservatives would expect the murder to receive the bulk of his punishment in afterlife, I know a couple of libertarian Atheists who would advocate medieval punishments for him.
    Likes /DG/, The Wailing Specter liked this post

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Dopa View Post
    Certainly none of it changes the way sane, nonpsychopathic people would want to treat each other. Just because there are no god-given rules doesn't mean we can't choose to behave kindly and reasonably.
    No no. I'm afraid you have this a bit wrong. You see, as an atheist, the only thing holding me back from my acting on my clearly strong and constant homicidal urges is the risk of getting caught.
    Likes Passacaglia liked this post

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    Can you?

Wait Jarlaxle, I don't get it. I thought only God could condemn, but yet he is condemning, but then he isn't. I'm confused now. Can we first sort out if he has the 'right' to condemn and THEN go from there?
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Mane liked this post

The Duck Dynasty star made an intense and shocking speech at a Christian event on Friday in Florida where he created a hypothetical situation involving an atheist family that was meant to "show" that people who don't believe in an afterlife would make any level of violence would be OK and morally sound.
    And what if I in turn created a hypothetical situation where catholic priests were having sex with small boys and they deemed it morally sound.
    Likes Rasofy liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    And what if I in turn created a hypothetical situation where catholic priests were having sex with small boys and they deemed it morally sound.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by YUI View Post
    What percentage of prisoners are atheists?
    [self-identified religious folks in jail]
    Waiting for #NoTrueScotsman response....
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Well I agree with that. Same as there is something wrong with this father that feels that speaking to his atheist son - “The reality is, you’re talking to a dead person.”
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    I'm not really sure I understand this statement unless his son is comatose.
    I've already seen that far too much... and experienced it to some degree myself.

Some can take it to more extremes than others (based on Paul's "what do the things of Belial have to do with the things of light?" comments in 2 Cor 6:15, referencing Ps. 101:3 and other verses). Philosophically, if someone has made the choice to be a damned soul by not accepting Jesus, though, they already are living in everlasting death despite their living body, because they are tainted by sin and born into a body of death... according to the basic theology.

So it's not really surprising to hear people say it. It's just sad. But that's what happens when you elevate a particular intellectual doctrine over actual relationship. Still, the religious faith demands that kind of adherence... so this is the end result. If you don't share the belief, you're easily an outcast from the community.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes LonestarCowgirl liked this post