User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Thread: Attack

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

Someone in my house bought a Kay Robertson shower scrub (it has her characterized visage built into it) with which I scrubbed my balls clean. Felt good.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    I just wanted to see some fireworks. :p
    Well you dragged me out of retirement.

congrats
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny-Love View Post
    That's in the old testament and perhaps taken out of context or misinterpreted. Without getting into a deep philosophical discussion, I'll simply say, the Bible is a love story and God is love. That's the big picture. Many Christians get it and some don't. The father in the article @<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/members/4050.html" target="_blank">ceecee</a> posted doesn't get it.
    I'm not sure what more context is needed in this particular case? "Oh, well that is the Old Testament" or "oh, those were different times" is a rather common response to situations like this. If the Old Testament is so contradictory to modern teachings, why is it still used beyond the book of Genesis?

MBTI
    INFP

I love that Phil stuff. The best part of the Duck Dynasty crew is moments like Phil going unscripted.

Reminds me of when I was in the Marines in the 70s. There were good ol' Southern boys galore in the military in the Vietnam period, both black and white. They taught me to chew tobacco, dip snuff, and play poker.

But you didn't want to screw with their religion. One time I was talking with two of them and they said that God wouldn't like something or other that I said. So I told them that their God could go fuck himself. They both looked like they were going to have a heart attack, and they backed away from me. They admitted afterward that they literally believed I would be struck by lightning. And we were indoors. I kind of felt bad for saying that when I saw how it affected them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sunyata View Post
    Someone in my house bought a Kay Robertson shower scrub (it has her characterized visage built into it) with which I scrubbed my balls clean. Felt good.
    I lol'ed.
    Likes The Wailing Specter liked this post

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Some religious folks believe that religion is the basis of morality; I don't agree but I found nothing offensive in what Phil said. It's just a bad hypothetical.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    I'm not sure what more context is needed in this particular case? "Oh, well that is the Old Testament" or "oh, those were different times" is a rather common response to situations like this. If the Old Testament is so contradictory to modern teachings, why is it still used beyond the book of Genesis?
    Context as in understanding the surrounding scripture; also, who is speaking in the scripture and to whom. There are also words that may not be properly interpreted or translated from the Greek and Hebrew texts; so if one was truly trying to understand the meaning of a scripture, they wouldn't take the denotation of every word (for face value). Some research into the Greek and Hebrew meaning of words and how they fit into the larger context is necessary for a complete understanding.

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

I think that's abusive, and definitely not what the Bible teaches Christians to say to their children or anyone for that matter. Faith, hope, love... 1 Corinthians 13:4-13...

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
    I like your application of Christianity. It is much better than what Phil or most fundies I encounter spout anyway.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan
    Likes LonestarCowgirl liked this post

your resident asshole

Context as in understanding the surrounding scripture; also, who is speaking in the scripture and to whom.
    So Deuteronomy (where that random quote was taken from) is essentially Moses speaking to the Israelites, as far as my knowledge goes. Correct? He is speaking about general rules and such. Again, I'm not sure how this changes anything. Surrounding passages speak of other rules.

There are also words that may not be properly interpreted or translated from the Greek and Hebrew texts; so if one was truly trying to understand the meaning of a scripture, they wouldn't take every word for face value and out of context. Some research into the Greek and Hebrew meaning of words and how they fit into the larger context is necessary.
    ? So if these words weren't translated well, then why does a better translation not exist at this point in time? This passage is the same in the translations that I have seen. I'm not sure how stoning someone to death would be ambiguous in any language.

*Edit* I have an exam soon. Please yell at me if I return to this thread before 15 hours after this post.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    So Deuteronomy (where that random quote was taken from) is essentially Moses speaking to the Israelites, as far as my knowledge goes. Correct? He is speaking about general rules and such. Again, I'm not sure how this changes anything. Surrounding passages speak of other rules.

? So if these words weren't translated well, then why does a better translation not exist at this point in time? This passage is the same in the translations that I have seen. I'm not sure how stoning someone to death would be ambiguous in any language.

*Edit* I have an exam soon. Please yell at me if I return to this thread before 15 hours after this post.
    I tweaked my post a little. Please reread and let me know if it doesn't provide clarity. I'm feeling tired now, so I'll try to get back to you tomorrow.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

What is Phil Robertson even getting at with that flimsy metaphor? Is he implying that people who don't believe in a god are amoral and incapable of telling right from wrong? Then how does he account for the Five Precepts of Buddhism?