User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    A meaning of life is to live. That's an entirely different thing all together. To do things, conduct one's self, refrain in such a way to feel as if you are: provided for, engaged.
    But if you're not living you don't have life so that still leaves the question of why you need to be alive.

If you're asking the meaning of life it's already a given that you're alive.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    But if you're not living you don't have life so that still leaves the question of why you need to be alive.

For me, breathing =/= being alive. I may be living but at a particular time, not alive. What does it mean to be alive? (There's a new thread.)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

It depends on how you look at it. Meaning can be a reason to your life: Why am I alive? Meaning can be a resolution to your being: What in life makes me feel whole?

Both can be characterized as thing that provide meaning to living. The second is reasonably answerable, and if you believe in such things as ultimate purpose, a grand design, it's also most likely the answer to the first.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    For me, breathing =/= being alive. I may be living but at a particular time, not alive. What does it mean to be alive? (There's a new thread.)
    To me that's not being alive and I personally find no utility in conflating the two. I gain nothing by defining life that way, and I certainly don't lose anything by not doing so.

Do you gain something from it?

- - - Updated - - -

It depends on how you look at it. Meaning can be a reason to your life: Why am I alive? Meaning can be a resolution to your being: What in life makes me feel whole?

Both can be characterized as thing that provide meaning to living. The second is reasonably answerable, and if you believe in such things as ultimate purpose, a grand design, it's also most likely the answer to the first.
    To me a reason to be alive is not the same as meaning for life.

To me that's not being alive and I personally find no utility in conflating the two. I gain nothing by defining life that way, and I certainly don't lose anything by not doing so.

"To be alive" can vary in meaning from person to person. That's all I was getting at. For me, just because I am breathing doesn't make me alive. I may be living, sure. But not alive.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

- - - Updated - - -

To me a reason to be alive is not the same as meaning for life.
    It's the meaning for my life, and it's a pretty satisfactory in very unexpected ways.

i suppose perhaps the disconnect between you and me is that I decided a long time ago, if there was some sort of big picture, then who you are would be somehow connected to what you should be doing which would be a part of the big 'Why?' if it existed. Any other way lies madness and indicates a really shitty and contemptible Architect at the helm.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    "To be alive" can vary in meaning from person to person. That's all I was getting at. For me, personally, just because I m breathing doesn't make me alive. I may be living, sure. But not alive.
    Yeah, that's fine. That's also not inherent, in conventional terms. So we're back to square one yet again.

MBTI
    INFJ

It's the meaning for my life, and it's a pretty satisfactory in very unexpected ways.

i suppose perhaps the disconnect between you and me is that I decided a long time ago, if there was some sort of big picture, then who you are would be somehow connected to what you should be doing which would be a part of the big 'Why?' if it existed. Any other way lies madness and indicates a really shitty and contemptible Architect at the helm.
    Yeah, that's fine. That's also not inherent, in conventional terms. So we're back to square one yet again.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

It's not immediately inherent, but it may be the only logically actionable and useful answer. To have a reason to be alive proposes a whole lot of weird nonsensical questions. One of the larger of which is, would you be capable of understanding the reason in the first place? And if so, wouldn't understanding it and the larger framework, put you in the position of being able to override it, thus leading you to square one again again?

MBTI
    INFJ

It's not immediately inherent, but it may be the only logically actionable and useful answer. To have a reason to be alive proposes a whole lot of weird nonsensical questions. One of the larger of which is, would you be capable of understanding the reason in the first place? And if so, wouldn't understanding it and the larger framework, put you in the position to override it, thus leading you to square one again?
    That's very astute!

I suppose yet once again though it is personal. I've chosen to focus on other things so even though this is probably a logically actionable answer, it's an answer to a question that I don't ask all that often.

To me - and this is only me personally - it's like asking why you should play jazz when you could be playing jazz.