User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 112

  1. #51
    Senior Member Passacaglia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eluded_One View Post
    The OP is basically asking, "how much of a nihilist are you?".
    I think I could have worded the OP better, because I'm actually interested in how folks feel when y'all consider the possibility that life lacks inherent meaning, rather than what you do or don't believe.

    Even people with strong belief systems stumble across this idea sooner or later, and I'm curious how it makes them feel.
    Likes Eluded_One liked this post

  2. #52
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    I think I could have worded the OP better, because I'm actually interested in how folks feel when y'all consider the possibility that life lacks inherent meaning, rather than what you do or don't believe.

    Even people with strong belief systems stumble across this idea sooner or later, and I'm curious how it makes them feel.
    As far as I'm concerned you didn't ask anything about nihilism or beliefs. People are filling in their own stuff as usual.

  3. #53
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 00c View Post
    I cannot tell other people that they are unhappy? I can. Why can't I? I have the right to anything if I will myself to, but yet you want to persuade me into not believing in that manner. People are not happy if they have nothing to look forward to, they feel a meaningless existence with nowhere to go to. Why wouldn't they? Is there aimless people who are truly happy? The "thrill-seekers" who think parties and drugs will make them happy most likely aren't because there is no actual goal once you have it in the present, there's nothing to work towards. Nothing they can propel themselves to anymore.

    You've managed to suggest that one cannot be happy unless their life matches your personal opinion of what constitutes happiness. The need to control/define the lives of others is perhaps your unwillingness to look at your own life, which may be nothing short of miserable by the definition of another.

    As for the OP - it's not a big deal that I am responsible for choosing what does or doesn't give my life meaning.
    Likes /DG/ liked this post

  4. #54
    Senior Member Eluded_One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    I think I could have worded the OP better, because I'm actually interested in how folks feel when y'all consider the possibility that life lacks inherent meaning, rather than what you do or don't believe.

    Even people with strong belief systems stumble across this idea sooner or later, and I'm curious how it makes them feel.
    I apologize, I misunderstood. In that case, I feel as though we're part of this giant machine, that wires us in a certain way that may or may not motivate/guide us through feelings of such. Birds know when to fly south. As far as people go... they instinctively get stumped when they get the hint when their efforts go fruitless.
    “If you worry about what might be, and wonder what might have been, you will ignore what is.” -anonymous
    Likes Passacaglia liked this post

  5. #55
    Member ~ReggieRebel~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram
    5w0 sx
    Socionics
    duno
    Posts
    45

    Default

    so, op was all about how you feel about the fact that some folks find meaning in life and some find life meaningless.

    well, solomon the wize once said that everything is meaningless.

    but just cuz a wize guy says something, doesnt mean its true. eg. steven hawking could say that the color pink is really the color blue. stating it doesnt make it so, it just brings the concept out for examination.

    anyway. back to how i 'feel' . im perfectly happy with both sides of the equasion. coin side the first says that actions and objects have the purpose that the user ascribez to them. if the user is satisfied with the result, the action has meaning. if not, the user may find meaning different from the requested output, or, they my say well, input did not give me requested output, therefore the procedure was meaningless. (and this btw, is what i think solomon was refering to).
    the other side of the coin is to say that ths input is you, the output is whatever the one who created you wants it to be, and the procedure is the sum total of your thoughts actions and whathaveyous. in this case, the one who created you is the one who determins if you have meaning or not. personaly, in such a case, i believe it to be the sum of, have you found meaning, and can your creater use the meaning that you have found to his own ends without infringing on your choice.

    so short answer, life is simultaniously full of meaning, and meaningless. they are opposites that gain strength from each other. we couod not define hot, without knowledge of cold, likewise meaning cannot be described without looking at its opposite.

    and as for how i feel...it doesnt make me uncomfortable at all. it is as it should be. and as another poster said, if im hungry, im not goimg to wonder whether ezting a sandwich has more meaning than eating a chicken....im going to just pick one and eat it. cuz if i dont, and continually chose not to eat, i will die. and unless i am chosing to die for a reason that others relate to, or, unless folks looking back at my refusal to eat, ascribe their own meaning to my death, my deciding to not eat will be as meaningless (read trivial and useless) as deciding between the chicken dinner and egg salad sandwich. who cares, just pick one...and if you must discover what meanings you want attributed to your procedures, for pitys sake dont become imobilized by the plethora of choices.
    Active, successful natures shun the dictum 'Know Thyself' and follow the commamdment 'Will Thyself' ~nietzsche

    "Willing is the intj's evolutionary consequence of Knowing present and future as the everpresent livestream of yesterminute." ~reg~

  6. #56
    Member 00c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    You've managed to suggest that one cannot be happy unless their life matches your personal opinion of what constitutes happiness. The need to control/define the lives of others is perhaps your unwillingness to look at your own life, which may be nothing short of miserable by the definition of another.

    As for the OP - it's not a big deal that I am responsible for choosing what does or doesn't give my life meaning.
    Pointless semantics, but it's been quite proven and seen again and again that these are the measures of general happiness. If you had thoroughly read my post you would have seen that I had pointed out that I am not trying to control anyone's life, just that I am simply not accepting any of your definitions that consist of negatives; this is my definition, not yours, this is my input and belief and it's your choice to listen to it or not. People sure love to get stuck on their negative philosophies that really don't promulgate anything at all. Meaningless? You make it meaningless. There's a lot more to the mind than most let themselves believe by telling themselves "This can't be true!", but what then? You forget that viewpoint ever existed and shut it out and do not let it grow. Happiness is the same. Pessimism is reserved for the very simple and lowly of this world that can't look beyond the fact that a late house bill will not destroy their life, but yet choose to worry and waste so much meaningful time. This is my definition and it's your choice to listen to it or not. Capisce? I have no interest in controlling the view points of random people on the internet, but I'm free to express it as it's quite valid just as any and I love to share what I have learned. Except negatives. Thoughts are like plants and if you take care of them, they'll only grow. Negative or positive, but it's your choice to leave the weeds or to water the pretty roses. The weeds are always easier to let grow, but the flowers need more maintenance and by that logic it will always be easier to be a pessimist and say that you "can't".
    tumblr
    It's no fun to lose.

  7. #57
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 00c View Post
    Pointless semantics, but it's been quite proven and seen again and again that these are the measures of general happiness. If you had thoroughly read my post you would have seen that I had pointed out that I am not trying to control anyone's life, just that I am simply not accepting any of your definitions that consist of negatives; this is my definition, not yours, this is my input and belief and it's your choice to listen to it or not. People sure love to get stuck on their negative philosophies that really don't promulgate anything at all. Meaningless? You make it meaningless. There's a lot more to the mind than most let themselves believe by telling themselves "This can't be true!", but what then? You forget that viewpoint ever existed and shut it out and do not let it grow. Happiness is the same. Pessimism is reserved for the very simple and lowly of this world that can't look beyond the fact that a late house bill will not destroy their life, but yet choose to worry and waste so much meaningful time. This is my definition and it's your choice to listen to it or not. Capisce? I have no interest in controlling the view points of random people on the internet, but I'm free to express it as it's quite valid just as any and I love to share what I have learned. Except negatives. Thoughts are like plants and if you take care of them, they'll only grow. Negative or positive, but it's your choice to leave the weeds or to water the pretty roses. The weeds are always easier to let grow, but the flowers need more maintenance and by that logic it will always be easier to be a pessimist and say that you "can't".
    If I had read your post? Clearly, you didn't read mine. There weren't any "negative definitions" to accept in my post. As a matter of fact, there weren't even any definitions. Period.
    Perhaps you've been spouting the same bullshit for so long you don't even realize whose post is different from the other.

    Get off the pulpit, cookie. It's boring.

  8. #58
    Member 00c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    If I had read your post? Clearly, you didn't read mine. There weren't any "negative definitions" to accept in my post. As a matter of fact, there weren't even any definitions. Period.
    Perhaps you've been spouting the same bullshit for so long you don't even realize whose post is different from the other.

    Get off the pulpit, cookie. It's boring.
    You're condescendingly ignorant and hypocritical. I was obviously simply expanding on what I had already said since it seems you misinterpreted (which you really did). You're proving yourself wrong and if you'd like to keep going, you may, but arguing with a blind fool isn't on my list of needs or wants and neither is raising my post count to a senseless height such as yours. I'll stay on my pulpit and you can keep being worthless while looking up at me. Come up with a vaguely original thought or piss off with your useless criticism; I was just sharing. You tried individually diagnosing me and now I'm telling you to keep your psychology degree to yourself. Where did you get it? Most of your own posts are bullshit in and of themselves and since you want to call me out or whatever uppity forum users like you like to do, I'm telling you that you're not at all anything of worth since most all you do is spread ignorance and contempt with a worthless arrogance and perhaps you could say the same for me, but I'm not an old man.

    8 years in such a simple forum and community such as this one, what have you done with your life, you useless pessimist? The way you act just speaks for yourself and like you said "Perhaps you've been spouting the same bullshit for so long you don't even realize whose post is different from the other.", I see it in all of your posts. Go do and join something respectful, old man, or is it that by the way you act you cannot find any such place? I could go on. I could get banned. But people like you are really the bane of this world and the bane of this world has a tendency of staying at the bottom regardless of the amount which people at the top are said to be evil when most are more benevolent than pond scum such as yourself, but of course the more tyrannical always stand out. Any time I go through a post of yours, I cringe at the disrespect and pride. Grow up, old man. That is all.
    tumblr
    It's no fun to lose.

  9. #59
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 00c View Post
    You're condescendingly ignorant and hypocritical. I was expanding on what I had already said since it seems you misinterpreted (which you really did). You're proving yourself wrong and if you'd like to keep going, you may, but arguing with a blind fool isn't on my list of needs or wants and neither is raising my post count to a senseless height such as yours. I'll stay on my pulpit and you can keep being worthless while looking up at me.
    Come up with a vaguely original thought or piss off with your useless criticism; I was just sharing. You tried individually diagnosing me and now I'm telling you to keep your psychology degree to yourself. Where did you get it?
    Most of your own posts are bullshit in and of themselves and since you want to call me out or whatever uppity forum users like you like to do, I'm telling you that you're not at all anything of worth since most all you do is spread ignorance and contempt with a worthless arrogance and perhaps you could say the same for me, but I'm not an old man.

    8 years in such a simple forum and community such as this one, what have you done with your life, you useless pessimist? The way you act just speaks for yourself and like you said "perhaps you've been spouting the same bullshit for so long you don't even realize whose post is different from the other.", I see it in all of your posts. Go do and join something respectful, old man, or is it that by the way you act you cannot find any such place? I could go on. I could get banned. But people like you are really the bane of this world and the bane of this world has a tendency of staying at the bottom regardless of the amount which people at the top are said to be evil when most are more benevolent than pond scum like yourself. Any time I go through a post of yours, I cringe at the disrespect and pride. Grow up, old man. That is all.
    Let me know when you're calm. I'm off to get a sandwich.

  10. #60
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    I think I could have worded the OP better, because I'm actually interested in how folks feel when y'all consider the possibility that life lacks inherent meaning, rather than what you do or don't believe.

    Even people with strong belief systems stumble across this idea sooner or later, and I'm curious how it makes them feel.
    How does it feel?

    I think Ben Gibbard Captures it.

    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Similar Threads

  1. [Enne] How comfortable are you with self-revelation?
    By Typh0n in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-05-2016, 05:18 PM
  2. How comfortable are you in a group conversation vs. one on one?
    By highlander in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 12-10-2012, 08:47 PM
  3. How self-monitoring are you?
    By Economica in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 169
    Last Post: 09-12-2011, 12:57 PM
  4. How computer savvy are you?
    By Phantonym in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-08-2010, 03:12 AM
  5. [INFP] INFPs how comforting are you (and bonus question)?
    By r0wo1 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-13-2009, 10:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO