User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 112

  1. #31
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 00c View Post
    But you keep saying not when it is.
    No. The word means something for a reason. If you want to change English to suit you, go right ahead but I'm not on board with that.
    Likes /DG/ liked this post

  2. #32
    Member 00c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    No. The word means something for a reason. If you want to change English to suit you, go right ahead but I'm not on board with that.
    It's mostly a word for losers, nobodies, and people who can't make things work for them because of their closed-mindedness. I will and I'll have much more value in believing in believing than believing in not believing.
    Have a good day, NO-body. Get it. Because you like negatives.
    tumblr
    It's no fun to lose.
    Likes LonestarCowgirl liked this post

  3. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,628

    Default

    Likes 00c, Passacaglia, Hard, Video liked this post

  4. #34
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
    Good for you.
    Last edited by Beorn; 03-14-2015 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Removed lol. I need to be less of a dick.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  5. #35
    Senior Member Passacaglia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    I find it to be a non-issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    At this point, it is more of a relief than anything else.
    Thank you both for your simple and straightforward answers.

    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I don't know what you mean by "inherent' really.
    What sprinkles and Nicodemus said. Or to demonstrate by way of contrast, the idea of life having inherent meaning requires an outside agent to create some underlying meaning. This idea usually comes from religious beliefs, belief in spiritual forces, or even adherence to philosophies predicated upon the assumption that we humans exist for some particular purpose.

    Whereas the idea that life lacks inherent meaning is the rejection of such universalities. This idea doesn't reject meaning entirely; even the great philosophers of nihilism and existentialism didn't just say "Life is meaningless," and leave it at that. The rejection of inherent meaning leaves one free -- or burdened, depending on your PoV -- to create one's own meaning and purpose in life.
    Likes sprinkles, /DG/ liked this post

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Good for you.
    Show me what you removed, it was probably funny.

  7. #37
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
    Show me what you removed, it was probably funny.
    I put it in the reason. Just "lol." Sorry I did not have a clever and humorous jab there. However, I will keep in mind your preferences for the future.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  8. #38
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 00c View Post
    People eat to feel better, people hurt themselves to feel better, people do things every single day in the manner of goals to feel better or more miserable about themselves, we live by goals, we survive by goals.

    You're wrong. You seem to live by "can't"s, "won't"s, and "don't"s, so what you say is of little value to me (I mean no disrespect), it's rather closed-minded, it's what I previously mentioned.
    Acting on immediate impulses of hunger, pain, or fear is not what most people would consider "goal-oriented". In fact, when we criticise someone, rightly or wrongly, for being not very goal-oriented, we tend to be speaking of someone who leads a rather hand-to-mouth existence, going through life simply reacting to whatever comes his or her way, rather than taking control of his or her life and setting actual goals. This lifestyle is not necessarily wrong, and if approached with reasonable expectations, might actually bring considerable pleasure to an individual. It just illustrates how goals and life are far from synonomous.

    As for you "can'ts won'ts and don'ts", I suspect you live by a fair amount of them yourself, at least if you live a normal human existence on planet earth. From the laws of gravity to traffic laws, there are plenty of things we experience in the negative, whether by our own choice or the impositions of others/society. That's why language is so accommodating of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by 00c View Post
    You're wrong. It's all one and the same.

    "Mischaracterization" is based on the premise that everything is different, but it's not really, is it? You're saying that it all can't be the same, whole, while I'm saying that it can. The power of belief trumps doubt always.
    This is quite a claim. This forum alone is full of threads highlighting, often celebrating, sometimes criticising, the many differences around us: from people (types, races, gender, career, religion, musical tastes, fashion sense, etc), to locations, to political philosophies, to food and exercise regimens. It is quite a leap to smear this all away into homogeneity.

    You are of course welcome to your beliefs, but believing something does not make it reality.

    As for the OP: assume for the sake of argument that life has some inherent meaning. Will that meaning make sense and be important to each individual person? What if some of us find that meaning at odds with our personal values, goals, or simply what makes us feel good? In this sense, the ability for each person to apply his/her own personal meaning to life seems to be a good thing, and a source of creativity and personal agency, rather than a cause for depression or angst.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes /DG/ liked this post

  9. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    I don't give it much thought.
    Likes Hard, ReadingRainbows liked this post

  10. #40
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    As for the OP: assume for the sake of argument that life has some inherent meaning. Will that meaning make sense and be important to each individual person? What if some of us find that meaning at odds with our personal values, goals, or simply what makes us feel good? In this sense, the ability for each person to apply his/her own personal meaning to life seems to be a good thing, and a source of creativity and personal agency, rather than a cause for depression or angst.
    Moreover I would argue that losing the meaning for life doesn't cause depression, but conversely I would argue that it is a symptom of depression. It is depression which creates the void which people chuck things into in an attempt to plug it up, not the other way around.

    I posit that finding meaning in something is a metacognitive extrication - it doesn't solve the problem, it realizes that the problem was never actually there.
    Last edited by sprinkles; 03-14-2015 at 04:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Similar Threads

  1. [Enne] How comfortable are you with self-revelation?
    By Typh0n in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-05-2016, 05:18 PM
  2. How comfortable are you in a group conversation vs. one on one?
    By highlander in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 12-10-2012, 08:47 PM
  3. How self-monitoring are you?
    By Economica in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 169
    Last Post: 09-12-2011, 12:57 PM
  4. How computer savvy are you?
    By Phantonym in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-08-2010, 03:12 AM
  5. [INFP] INFPs how comforting are you (and bonus question)?
    By r0wo1 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-13-2009, 10:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO