User Tag List

First 9101112 Last

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Yes, that frustrates me. It frustrates me more that I'm not immune to peddling bullshit. It almost feels like hypocrisy even though it technically isn't (I don't intentionally flout my own beliefs, it's a weakness)
    Yeah that sounds rough, in fact I'm similar but with less to back my information up because i'm pretty poorly educated. There are lots of gaps in my knowledge and it seems to be getting harder for me to retain it in a useful capacity.

I guess this is an odd tangent but I like to roll with those.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Yeah that sounds rough, in fact I'm similar but with less to back my information up because i'm pretty poorly educated. There are lots of gaps in my knowledge and it seems to be getting harder for me to retain it in a useful capacity.

I guess this is an odd tangent but I like to roll with those.
    I feel like that some times. Hell some times I feel like my brain just plain doesn't work and I'm mentally trudging through mud to make the simplest connections.

But to me what is important is metacognition. This is thinking about thinking, essentially. Knowing raw information is some times less important than knowing what you're missing, and how to make a strategy to obtain it.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I am extremely comfortable with the notion that life has no inherent meaning.

I would feel extremely uncomfortable if it had a meaning of subsequent consequence. As that very notion implies lack of freedom and a transcendance of morals and values beyond rationality.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf
    Likes Cellmold, BluRoses liked this post

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    ...With the idea that life lacks inherent meaning?

I.e., the idea that whatever meaning we ascribe to our lives results from what we accept from our various cultures or beliefs, or what we consciously choose to ascribe to our lives. I heard a radio program last night which touched on one of the philosophies which rejects inherent meaning, and when one of the speakers mentioned how uncomfortable this idea is for so many people, I found myself wondering just how much and many people find this idea uncomfortable.

So, my question is as the title: How [un]comfortable are you with the idea that life lacks inherent meaning?
    I find the idea very unsettling. Why even exist if there is no inherent meaning to it?
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Likes Passacaglia liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Such Irony View Post
    I find the idea very unsettling. Why even exist if there is no inherent meaning to it?
    I personally have no idea. Don't think I ever will.

Nevertheless, not seeing the point and subsequently not wanting to exist is associated with very poor mental health. For that reason I do my best to back off from that and look for day-to-day things to keep going forward. I've found that seeking happiness on a short term time scale works rather well.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Value is inherently subjective, I agree.

Who the subject is that determines the value is a very intricate and deep question by my way of thinking.

Meaning too is subjective, but this is most definitely a shared subjectivity.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield
    Likes BluRoses liked this post

I find the idea very unsettling.
    Thank you for your simple and direct answer.

Why even exist if there is no inherent meaning to it?
    If this is not a rhetorical question, there are a couple of ways to answer it. Philosophically, we all create (or accept from our cultures) our own meanings and reasons to exist.

On a more practical level, we each exist because we were born, and we continue living because we have a strong survival instinct honed by aeons of evolution. When you get right down to it, existence doesn't require any deeper meaning at all. Though I don't think I'd want to live a life completely devoid of meaning.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    Thank you for your simple and direct answer.

If this is not a rhetorical question, there are a couple of ways to answer it. Philosophically, we all create (or accept from our cultures) our own meanings and reasons to exist.

On a more practical level, we each exist because we were born, and we continue living because we have a strong survival instinct honed by aeons of evolution. When you get right down to it, existence doesn't require any deeper meaning at all. Though I don't think I'd want to live a life completely devoid of meaning.
    I think that life is inherently meaningless and I used to be very uncomfortable with this.

However, it is my view now that it is what intelligent life forms DO with their lives that creates the meaning. Mankind is wondrous because we love, experience, act, and create.
    Likes Passacaglia, Hard liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sp/sx

Not in the slightest bit uncomfortable. My issue with inherent meaning is that it implies a grand design, but places no perspective on my part in it. Realistically the reason for my existence in a universe so large will probably be as simple as being somewhere at a particular time, infinitesimal changes on such a scale. I would much rather believe that I am the captain of my own fate, master of my own destiny. Thus meaning becomes something I, and I alone decide. The egotist in me prefers it that way.
    “Brighter, now brighter, pay no mind to those who squint, burn with all your heat.”

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I don't like it at all. It's just contrary to my gut (and few things are guided by my gut). But at least there's meaning we can bestow upon life, that's the second-best option.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.