User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Results 91 to 100 of 112

  1. #91
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,806

    Default

    There might be meaning behind everything. It may not be human meaning however.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

  2. #92
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    I understand the difference between the two words.
    What I fail to see is how there is a difference in how you use them in reference to our consciousness and individual construal.
    Discover is a more accurate word than create to the situation.. more below.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    You seem to be labeling whatever comes out of our individual consciousness that directs us as our purpose. Again that's a purpose, but it's a mechanical purpose without significance. A flowing river creates smooth pebbles that's just what it does there is no significant purpose there. You seem to be treating what emanates from our minds as a purpose because that's where the buck stops. But again in disenchanted materialist world the mind is just doing what minds do and so consciousness (and subconsciousness) are just chemical explosions and neuro transmitters firing off and who knows what else, but it's just a system doing what it does and whatever it does it is doing.
    Yes, and the disenchanted materialist would most likely continue on with his life as if he had purpose anyway, following his own nexus of cause and effect, to live comfortably, to rock the boat, to do something original, etc. If this is whole the truth, and I don't really care if it is, it's extraneous to being a person...

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Well, yeah logically I think you're left with a choice: either you believe in a deterministic material world or you believe some aspects of this world are enchanted and there is inherent meaning.

    We live in world where those two ideas are in tension with each other and the presumption seems to be that there is no heaven above and no hell below and so we concoct our own meaning because we don't want to look into the abyss.

    One more picky note. If you are speaking from a disenchanted materialist perspective than there is no such thing as "more natural" as everything is nature and nature is everything. "More natural" would only make sense if there is an inherent moral order within nature which it shouldn't be deterred from.
    See above, it's more natural, is more conductive to how we behave as individuals and what we expect from other individuals. I do understand there is a different framework from which determinism takes on utility, but this is a type of abstract fact to acknowledge, not a knowledge we live within as individuals.

    I do get annoyed when people are so sure that other's turn away from knowledge because of some sort of fear. This is sometimes the case I am sure, but I feel like most of the time it's just an accusation that makes one's self feel more powerful. It may be that some knowledge has no relevance to an individual.

    The 'abyss', is a type of free fall, the existential crisis people experience is actually a fallacy. We see that everything is just a predictable progression of the movements of particles, then we wonder what we should do with ourselves. We are believing in one hand that there is no agency, no meaning, but then our crisis is what to do with our agency.

    The real existential crisis is the feeling of the straight jacket of determinism, it's our father, our mother, the place of our youth, it's the configuration of our DNA. But, nobody really believes this, because our own perception of agency is impenetrable, it's integral to consciousness.

  3. #93
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    There might be meaning behind everything. It may not be human meaning however.
    Then it is not what we mean by 'meaning', hence without meaning.

  4. #94
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Then it is not what we mean by 'meaning', hence without meaning.
    That's why we imprint meaning onto it then. But what about the divide between human-centric thinking that gives us stuff like a flat earth and universe-centric thinking that shows us it is an oblate spheroid?

    Why call it universe-centric if it is still essentially human in source and framing? The difference is that (and I admit my understanding and knowledge is limited here) it would appear that the scientific method attempts to bring some form of objectivity to our apparent reality, despite arguments that point out the potential futility in doing so, but knowledge changes with new information and science is cool like that. And also if the meaning has to be human in order to stand in importance to us, why do we care that there is no meaning since we can always invent meaning to justify everything, just like this whole topic in the first place.

    The search for understanding is pointless if the meaning could never be ours. Still I don't know if it makes me uncomfortable or comfortable, I would say it actually makes me comfortable. It reminds me that through all the petty, nasty works and through all the meaningful, apparently fulfilling works it helps to remind me that we really do have no control and it makes reality as I perceive it that much more comfortable because I can sit back and enjoy the ride.....at least until my emotions try to trick me into objectifying morality.

    Yet.....the brain still believes and hopes...even in the most hardened existential nihilist. That's probably just another defence mechanism though, I tend to look at my life as a means of preparing me for coping with death...or rather dying because that is interesting to me.

    A singular answer would never be satisfying enough.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

  5. #95
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    That's why we imprint meaning onto it then. But what about the divide between human-centric thinking that gives us stuff like a flat earth and universe-centric thinking that shows us it is an oblate spheroid?

    Why call it universe-centric if it is still essentially human in source and framing? The difference is that (and I admit my understanding and knowledge is limited here) it would appear that the scientific method attempts to bring some form of objectivity to our apparent reality, despite arguments that point out the potential futility in doing so, but knowledge changes with new information and science is cool like that. And also if the meaning has to be human in order to stand in importance to us, why do we care that there is no meaning since we can always invent meaning to justify everything, just like this whole topic in the first place.

    The search for understanding is pointless if the meaning could never be ours. Still I don't know if it makes me uncomfortable or comfortable, I would say it actually makes me comfortable. It reminds me that through all the petty, nasty works and through all the meaningful, apparently fulfilling works it helps to remind me that we really do have no control and it makes reality as I perceive it that much more comfortable because I can sit back and enjoy the ride.....at least until my emotions try to trick me into objectifying morality.

    Yet.....the brain still believes and hopes...even in the most hardened existential nihilist. That's probably just another defence mechanism though, I tend to look at my life as a means of preparing me for coping with death...or rather dying because that is interesting to me.

    A singular answer would never be satisfying enough.
    Nothing is completely accurate (not even what I just said)

    It's like playing darts some times. You just need to hit the target in the right place which is only a general area. Just about everything comes down to sufficiency, tolerances, and being close enough to be useful.

    Understanding is not entirely perfect and probably can't ever be.
    Likes Cellmold liked this post

  6. #96
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Nothing is completely accurate (not even what I just said)

    It's like playing darts some times. You just need to hit the target in the right place which is only a general area. Just about everything comes down to sufficiency, tolerances, and being close enough to be useful.

    Understanding is not entirely perfect and probably can't ever be.
    Well I agree, my questions were rhetorical.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

  7. #97
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Well I agree, my questions were rhetorical.
    Understood. I was talking for me as much as you too. (I some times need to remind myself of what I was just telling you)

  8. #98
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Understood. I was talking for me as much as you too. (I some times need to remind myself of what I was just telling you)
    It's a good reminder. Hey, do you ever find an intense frustration with how much more effort there is in refuting bullshit than propagating it? I'm not necessarily saying I do because I'm pretty scattered and not very reliable with my information, but...I dunno...the thought just struck me and I wanted to ask.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

  9. #99
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,474

    Default

    Reading all this, It's very obvious that people are asking the big questions for different reasons. I'd like to say this was a cognitive difference, but I went through that 'hard truth' phase myself, wondering what really is is. Now I'm just reconciling it with how to have a meaningful human experience.
    Likes Cellmold liked this post

  10. #100
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    It's a good reminder. Hey, do you ever find an intense frustration with how much more effort there is in refuting bullshit than propagating it? I'm not necessarily saying I do because I'm pretty scattered and not very reliable with my information, but...I dunno...the thought just struck me and I wanted to ask.
    Yes, that frustrates me. It frustrates me more that I'm not immune to peddling bullshit. It almost feels like hypocrisy even though it technically isn't (I don't intentionally flout my own beliefs, it's a weakness)

Similar Threads

  1. [Enne] How comfortable are you with self-revelation?
    By Typh0n in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-05-2016, 05:18 PM
  2. How comfortable are you in a group conversation vs. one on one?
    By highlander in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 12-10-2012, 08:47 PM
  3. How self-monitoring are you?
    By Economica in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 169
    Last Post: 09-12-2011, 12:57 PM
  4. How computer savvy are you?
    By Phantonym in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-08-2010, 03:12 AM
  5. [INFP] INFPs how comforting are you (and bonus question)?
    By r0wo1 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-13-2009, 10:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO