• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I don't see how God could plausibly exist (Christian definition of God)

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
The probability of there actually existing a Christian-like God is astronomically low.

So is the likeliness of one winning the lottery (though not nearly as low ;) ), but obviously that doesn't stop people from just "knowing" that they've got the winning ticket, time and time again.

Didums

You claim to be addressing the Christian concept of God, but if you have any concept of that concept, you have not demonstrated such knowledge in your rant. (If a match were set to all your strawmen, the resulting conflagration could burn down a city block.)

I recommend this book: Theology and Sanity by F. J. Sheed. Read and comprehend it; then, you might actually have an accurate idea of what you claim to be arguing against.

The first edition is available on-line here: Theology and Sanity. Very odd formatting, though.

Lol did you read my post? Did you have any 'concept of the concept' I was making? And do you know what a Strawman Fallacy is? Please demonstrate how I created a distorted view of the Christian concept of God, that being an All-knowing, All-powerfull Supernatural being that created our Universe, and by Definition has to be Outside of Time itself.

Also, I'm not going to read a book about Theology, I have no reason to respect it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The probability of there actually existing a Christian-like God is astronomically low.

Wait, do you have a numerical figure on that?
I'd like to write it down.

And what calculations did you use to generate the probability?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
God exists in the love we share for people, the pride we share in things we enjoy, in the pain we feel when something bad happens to us. It is all part of out destiny to mold us into spiritually strong people, and those who can actually get a hand on it, can become one with God. And I don't mean the crowd you see every Sunday at the Catholic Church..no, this can be anyone. Buddhist, Islam, Judaism, Christianity, Hinduism all basically are referring to the one divine God. The God that exists where I have stated it has. It runs deeper then anything you will ever learn in church, it is something you have to experience as an individual, and you have to grasp it, and bring it into your heart. And it will live there, the love, the Love that is overall God.

Mole

Permabanned
If God is a metaphor, She doesn't exist.

For metaphors don't exist as they are comparisons of relationships.

And although metaphors don't exist, they form the basis of everything else.

After all, God's presence is only concealed by Her absence.

sassafrassquatch

God exists in the love we share for people, the pride we share in things we enjoy, in the pain we feel when something bad happens to us. It is all part of out destiny to mold us into spiritually strong people, and those who can actually get a hand on it, can become one with God. And I don't mean the crowd you see every Sunday at the Catholic Church..no, this can be anyone. Buddhist, Islam, Judaism, Christianity, Hinduism all basically are referring to the one divine God. The God that exists where I have stated it has. It runs deeper then anything you will ever learn in church, it is something you have to experience as an individual, and you have to grasp it, and bring it into your heart. And it will live there, the love, the Love that is overall God.

sick0012.gif

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Since I am strong athesit I will join the show.

I think that Didums is doing good job here.

From what I know many people say that this entire god thing is actally about love.

That is totally wrong aproach because if the god is so interested in love as those people say he is , he would have made many things in a much different way.

Probaby the most obvious part in this argument is that, nuclear weapons should not be possible if their god created this reality.

I am not finished but I will be back.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
I reject religion because of The Big Picture. The Big Picture, to me, is starting chronologically at the beginning of the Universe and working your way to this point in time, scientifically of course. (If there are any errors in the science please forgive me lol)

Singularity --> Big Bang due to high vaccum pressure --> Stars and Galaxies form over billions of years --> About 9 billion years into the Universe the Sun of our Solar System forms --> Very shortly after, the Earth forms (.05 billion years after) --> the bombardment of earth by asteroids, meteors, etc --> 0.14 to 1.84 billion years into Earth's existence, Abiogenesis brings primitive cells into existence (on its own, no help from God needed) --> For a few billion years these primitive cells become more complex and compete for survival --> transitional forms of cells arise, the transition being single-celled to multi-celled (no help from God needed) --> Multi-celled organisms arise and begin to spread and evolve --> Precambrian --> (okay this is taking a while and I think i'm making my point, i'll skip a bit) --> Homo Sapiens become a distict species in the Homo Genus (we arrived this way on our own, no help from God), also a few subspecies of Homo Sapiens come about but go extinct (they came after us but died out) --> Homo Sapiens spread from Africa to the rest of the world --> We adapt differently to the environments of the world (had our species been isolated we would have branched off from each other, Asians, Caucasians, etc) --> Each culture has its own religious explanation for our origins --> (blah blah the idea is made)

Why, after all of this, does God decide, "hey, those homo sapiens over there are sinful and need to be moral according to my rules"? Why does God put himself in human form in some remote desert part of Earth to die for our sins that weren't committed (Adam and Eve never existed and never 'sinned' against God)? Why after all this time, with all these organisms over billions of years, does God decide that its about time for him to show himself? Why didn't he show himself to the other Highly-Conscious beings that existed in the Homo Genus? What about people that never hear the word of Jesus, are they forgiven for their imaginary sin, you would think that if he was a decent and intelligent God he would show himself to everyone at once to prove his existence? What happens to other organisms in general, when they die do they just cease to exist, saved from hell but exempt from heaven?

Why does God make a heaven and hell for us when the place that we go to is predetermined? God is Omnipotent, All-knowing, and Outside of Time itself, he would already know where we would go to by definition, we have no choice, people like me are doomed to eternal hellfire, do you understand? If we had a choice in what to believe, then the God wouldn't be God, because he wouldn't Know our every thought and what we would decide so that would make him Not All-knowing, A God that doesn't know everything isn't God. If God exists outside of Time, then our existence means nothing to him, the entire history of the Universe could be over in the snap of the finger to God, its like he would have a Tivo remote, he could rewind, pause, fast forward, skip to the end, everything predetermined by the show he was watching that he created, the Universe could exist for .00001 of a second to him, why would he care for a species that arose on earth for a fraction of existence in the history of the Universe. All of that makes no sense though, because the concept of Time is being applied to God! A God outside of Time cannot exist in this way, it is literally un-thinkable, our brains are wired to understand the concept of time, where there is no time it is non-existence to us, our consciousness makes up time, if the atoms in my body were scattered somewhere else in the Universe they would be indifferent to time's existence, they would interact with time but time wouldn't Mean anything to them. If God existed in his own sense of Time outside our Universe (whatever "outside our universe" may mean..) wouldn't he have to be physically comprised of something to exist? If God was Physically comprised of something, in a sense of time, would he be Outside our Universe? Wouldn't those things be applied to Our Universe?

I have yet to have any theist give me a plausible account for the existence of God. I have no reason to believe in God via personal experience. I have no reason to believe in God via the logic that is instilled in my consiousness, if I had a different thought process (different sense of logic) then maybe I would.

Edit: This is pretty much addressing Christianity exclusively.

the big bang theory has changed many times over the years.

from an objective viewpoint, its just as unbelievable that I descended from an earthworm, as it is an all mighty being created me.

There is more evidence of humans being descended from aliens who arrived from outer space, than the big bang theory.

If you study the history of Sumerians, Nibiru (the 10th planet nasa found 2 years ago), and Akkadians, there is far more scientific evidence we came from aliens, than an earthworm.

Yet science refuses to acknowledge this hypothesis that has greater scientific evidence. Now that to me is funny. The theory of Nibiru has farrr more scientific evidence than the big bang theory origin of humans.

sassafrassquatch

the big bang theory has changed many times over the years.

from an objective viewpoint, its just as unbelievable that I descended from an earthworm, as it is an all mighty being created me.

There is more evidence of humans being descended from aliens who arrived from outer space, than the big bang theory.

If you study the history of Sumerians, Nibiru (the 10th planet nasa found 2 years ago), and Akkadians, there is far more scientific evidence we came from aliens, than an earthworm.

Yet science refuses to acknowledge this hypothesis that has greater scientific evidence. Now that to me is funny. The theory of Nibiru has farrr more scientific evidence than the big bang theory origin of humans.

:17425:

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
^ seriously tho.

btw, don't read all that nibiru, sumerians, zacharia stuff unless u want to be disoriented for a few days. if u have an important event comin up, by all means, we came from from an amoeba and electricity. ;)

it just trips me out the Sumerians knew that there was a 10th planet, 6000 years before NASA did.

sassafrassquatch

^ seriously tho.

btw, don't read all that nibiru, sumerians, zacharia stuff unless u want to be disoriented for a few days. if u have an important event comin up, by all means, we came from from an amoeba and electricity. ;)

It's all a bunch of wacked out tin foil hat stuff, I heard all about it years ago on Art Bell's show. Granted, all creation myths are nutty but the whole planet x thing is pretty far out.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
It's all a bunch of wacked out tin foil hat stuff, I heard all about it years ago on Art Bell's show. Granted, all creation myths are nutty but the whole planet x thing is pretty far out.

u know nasa discovered the 10th planet right?

NASA - 10th Planet Discovered

I mean, this theory existed before this planet was found. And it hasn't changed at all like the big bang theory has. So according to the scientific method, so far the original big bang theory has been eliminated (because it had to change so many times as new evidence was found), while the Nibiru theory has not because all evidence so far supports it.

In the end, "science" doesn't want to believe the Nibiru theory, for the same reasons they choose to mock religion with. But this time, they mock the scientific process out of belief. Same as what they claim "religion" does to them.

sassafrassquatch

I mean, this theory existed before this planet was found. And it hasn't changed at all like the big bang theory has. So according to the scientific method, so far the original big bang theory has been eliminated (because it had to change so many times as new evidence was found), while the Nibiru theory has not because all evidence so far supports it.

In the end, "science" doesn't want to believe the Nibiru theory, for the same reasons they choose to mock religion with. But this time, they mock the scientific process out of belief. Same as what they claim "religion" does to them.

Eris is a kuiper belt object, an icy little rock, there are a bunch of them.

You're not being serious are you? You must be messing with me. :confused:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

This is nothig special becuse in the last few years they have found many objects in the belt. So becuase of that there should be much more then 10 planets.
Because of this they have created new classification that says that new bodys and Pluto that is similar to them are not planets but huge chunks of ice and dust and that they are nothing more than the biggest pieces of the belt.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
Eris is a kuiper belt object, an icy little rock, there are a bunch of them.

You're not being serious are you? You must be messing with me. :confused:

dood. its bigger than pluto tho. and how did sumerians know about planet x/nibiru 6000 years before NASA did?

im half messin with you. but i seriously don't understand why the nibiru theory isn't objectively considered to be more believable than the big bang theory. the nibiru theory is actually historically supported pretty well and supports the east african human roots theory, and population demographic shifts pretty well. but its kind of crazy to believe all that. in the end, i believe that people believe what they want to believe.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
im half messin with you. but i seriously don't understand why the nibiru theory isn't objectively considered to be more believable than the big bang theory.
Mainly because hearsay isn't considered science. But that's just the official reason. That's just what they want you to believe.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
Mainly because hearsay isn't considered science. But that's just the official reason. That's just what they want you to believe.

LOL

but the big bang theory is hearsay too.

i just realized what a weird word heresay is. shouldn't it be overthere say? bc u heard it somewhere else?

MBTI Type
ENTP
LOL

but the big bang theory is hearsay too.

i just realized what a weird word heresay is. shouldn't it be overthere say? bc u heard it somewhere else?

Captain Obvious to the rescue:

"hearsay" --> one simply hears something and then repeats (says) it to someone else, without the intermediate reflection on that something's truth-value or credibility