• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I don't see how God could plausibly exist (Christian definition of God)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I cant really follow the two of you. Ethics and morales are really no inventions religion did and whether you call it good and bad or erny and bert, does that matter ?

It all started out back then in caves when they noticed, hitting stones on others heads does kill people and living in tribes is easier than living alone. I dont understand why I need to have faith to understand ethics and morales

Nicodemus

I said they have no reason to have values and that they live lives that are in contradiction with the logical conclusions of their presuppositions.
I find good that which pleases me, which is in accordance with my arbitrary natural desires; by the same token, bad is that which I dislike. I have to let go of 'good and evil', of course, but they never did any 'good' anway.

Nicodemus

I cant really follow the two of you. Ethics and morales are really no inventions religion did and whether you call it good and bad or erny and bert, does that matter ?

It all started out back then in caves when they noticed, hitting stones on others heads does kill people and living in tribes is easier than living alone. I dont understand why I need to have faith to understand ethics and morales
The point is that the moral code is not binding when there is no god.

Beorn

Permabanned
I find good that which pleases me, which is in accordance with my arbitrary natural desires; by the same token, bad is that which I dislike. I have to let go of 'good and evil', of course, but they never did any 'good' anway.

That's more consistent than most atheists.

Christians ought to preach to themselves everyday the goodness of God and that everything good that we have comes from him.

I wonder, do you preach to yourself every day that everything good that you experience is merely the result of chemical reactions in your brain?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The point is that the moral code is not binding when there is no god.

Why ? I dont understand. A morale code helps us from killing each others, therefore it's binding so that anyone can survive.

Teach me please to understand this, I am a total sucker at philosophy

Nicodemus

I wonder, do you preach to yourself every day that everything good that you experience is merely the result of chemical reactions in your brain?
No, that would make me depressive. But I do know it.

Why ? I dont understand. A morale code helps us from killing each others, therefore it's binding so that anyone can survive.
If god exists, the world is his state, his rules are the laws, he himself is legislative, executive and judiciary. Now his moral code is the code of law. If you violate the law, you must suffer the consequences. But if god does not exist, the state is just plain land, there are no laws and no three powers. You live in anarchy. Of course, even in an anarchic land you can follow the old law, one that you imagine to be absolute and true, but if you do not, there are no legal repercussions (no prison, no hell), because there is no right and no judge.

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law."

If you kill someone in this land, others will probably dislike you, but they cannot rightfully prosecute you.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
If god exists, the world is his state, his rules are the laws, he himself is legislative, executive and judiciary. Now his moral code is the code of law. If you violate the law, you must suffer the consequences. But if god does not exist, the state is just plain land, there are no laws and no three powers. You live in anarchy. Of course, even in an anarchic land you can follow the old law, one that you imagine to be absolute and true, but if you do not, there are no legal repercussions (no prison, no hell), because there is no right and no judge.

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law."

If you kill someone in this land, others will probably dislike you, but they cannot rightfully prosecute you.

Wow that's crazy, thank you for explaining it. Guess you really need to believe this first, to be able to talk to this people at all. I think, if this whole religion thing was wrong from the start, just in case and nevertheless there are things like morales and ethics, the question if God exists or not exists isnt necessary at all. What then counts is what exists and what you want to continue to exist and this then are the values you support.

I nearly didnt accomplish my Abitur due to religion, I had it as a verbal exam and achieved 1 point :D. Kinda unfair to discuss with those people, because they make all kind of assumptions, which you cant even make from the start. Like you said "if God doesnt exist, I live in anarchy" what would absolutely not be the case in the real world, if he wouldnt exist.

So long, dont discuss too long here, this really crazy :)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
P.S.: I think there is hope in quantum physics for people who believe in determinism and therefore havent arrived in the new century of physics after Newton. I tho am still pissed that physics are so often misused for philosophy. I'll never get used to that

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So long, dont discuss too long here, this really crazy :)

Hah, no offense entropie, but this really made me laugh. The response was priceless, especially from an NT.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^^^ Sorry. It's kind of refreshing to see this sort of reaction from an NT on the internet. I would've assumed they'd have already come up with this idea already and evaluated it, and it's even more rare to see one being scandalized.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Well religion isnt really popular where I come from and I just lately had the encounter with americans here, who are very into it and really believe in it. I've gotten the feeling of helplessness when discussing some things here, like i.e. the thing "if god doesnt exist, morales aint binding". Makes zero sense to me.

But I never really gave it too much thought and besides that, I was never really a good NT. I am just posing as entp to get more girls :)

P.S.: besides that it may be a problem that to entps everything is often new, tho they discussed it a billion times. You may search my threads for reference, some things come up again and again and again, but hey it's at least proof that I am down to earth with some things :D

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
1) All belief systems are self-referential and circular. It is inescapable. The atheistic worldview is based on unprovable presuppositions as well.

2) Who's to say who is and who is not an intellectual giant? More importantly, if you can't ultimately assign any value to intelligence what does it matter?

If you are an atheist you are in no position to make any kind of value judgment. There is no good or bad. There is nothing good about being intelligent and nothing bad about being stupid. There is only what is. So you really can't complain about people making circular arguments. I mean you can... it's just that you will be behaving in a manner that's inconsistent with atheism.

And what are your true beliefs if you do not act according to the one's you espouse?
Assuming no possible values without the existence of god is simply stupid. You do not need an absolute value to compare things with. And biological and cultural evolution will account for love, empathy etc etc. While religions do not explain anything but just state that it's all because of the magical unicorn nobody ever saw in the sky. And that it's good and loving anf fair but murders people, is jealous, thinks it's okey to give your wife and daughters for a bunch of rapists to fuck and kill to protect the ass of an angel. Or almost kill your son to show the guy how much of a good slave you are. Oh and then there's this, metaphorical first sin, and god came back to commit suicide basically (which is a mortal sin) to forgive us for this sin. This sin he by the way, knew would happen, and made happen, since he's omniscient and omnipotent. and so on.

2nd. No, belief systems AREN'T circular. FAITH is circular, belief is based on empirical data and a given value of uncertainty, the more you 'do' \ test it the less uncertain the belief becomes and closer to an ideal 'fact'. Though nobody has infinite time to test things out so whenever the system is open ended (so actual events as opposed to 2+2=4) you're bound to have uncertainty.
Uncertainty isn't the same thing as saying something that doesn't explain anything, and refuses to adjust to new knowledge in other ways than deciding that religious 'facts' suddently become metaphores. And pick and choose what 'god means' in a book of fairy tales based on what is deemed desirable and proper.

3rd, I never said I was an atheist. You just assume polarized positions.
I keep using the world EMPIRICAL\ISM, how much clearer can I get. My position is just that your position is utterly unprovable and has a galaxy high pile of arguments going against it therefore doesn't have any value as a description of the world what so ever.

Beorn

Permabanned
Assuming no possible values without the existence of god is simply stupid. You do not need an absolute value to compare things with.

I didn't say you couldn't compare things. An Atheist can state that a brick is not a gold bar. That is a comparison. What they cannot say is that a gold bar is better than a brick in any meaningful sense. It is completely subjective which one is better. Economics and market demand aside the valuation ultimately depends on certain chemical reactions in the brain that indicate that one is preferable to the other.

And biological and cultural evolution will account for love, empathy etc etc.

Again, these things are really just abstract representations of chemical reactions in the brain... that is it and nothing more. Additionally, because evolution is always changing you cannot use it to make value judgements. Looking forward you can have no idea what path evolution will take and you can't say that should take a certain path and not another one. Similarly, looking back you can only state this is how things evolved there is no basis to state things should have been any different. Survival of the fittest is not a basis of value judgments because of its circular nature.

While religions do not explain anything but just state that it's all because of the magical unicorn nobody ever saw in the sky. And that it's good and loving anf fair but murders people, is jealous, thinks it's okey to give your wife and daughters for a bunch of rapists to fuck and kill to protect the ass of an angel. Or almost kill your son to show the guy how much of a good slave you are. Oh and then there's this, metaphorical first sin, and god came back to commit suicide basically (which is a mortal sin) to forgive us for this sin. This sin he by the way, knew would happen, and made happen, since he's omniscient and omnipotent. and so on.

You cannot criticize the Bible until you defend a framework which justifies value judgments. Otherwise what happened in the bible is merely part of evolution nothing more and nothing less.

2nd. No, belief systems AREN'T circular. FAITH is circular, belief is based on empirical data and a given value of uncertainty, the more you 'do' \ test it the less uncertain the belief becomes and closer to an ideal 'fact'. Though nobody has infinite time to test things out so whenever the system is open ended (so actual events as opposed to 2+2=4) you're bound to have uncertainty.
Uncertainty isn't the same thing as saying something that doesn't explain anything, and refuses to adjust to new knowledge in other ways than deciding that religious 'facts' suddently become metaphores. And pick and choose what 'god means' in a book of fairy tales based on what is deemed desirable and proper.

Belief is merely acceptance that something is true.
Faith is complete trust.

Your analysis gets at the two fundamental ways we interpret and understand the world around us: Experience and reason.
Both of these we put complete trust in as authoritative and reliable despite the fact that reliance on these two things is not independently justified.

That is we have no way to know whether what we sense and experience is an actual representation of material reality.
There are at least two alternative possibilities:
1) We are in the matrix
2) The world was created as is 5 seconds ago with all you're current memories programmed into your brain.

There is no basis for determining the likelihood of any of these since you cannot rely on experience.

You might say that it is not reasonable to consider the two alternatives, but reasonability has it's own problems... it's self-referential. The only way to justify reliance on reason is to engage in reasoning.

Thus, both the Christian and Atheistic-materialist framework rest upon unprovable presuppositions on which all other beliefs must rest. Or in other words all positions are faith positions.

3rd, I never said I was an atheist. You just assume polarized positions.
I keep using the world EMPIRICAL\ISM, how much clearer can I get. My position is just that your position is utterly unprovable and has a galaxy high pile of arguments going against it therefore doesn't have any value as a description of the world what so ever.

There is no such thing as neutrality in belief frameworks. If you are going to attack another's beliefs you must be standing somewhere yourself. this is because every attack or question presumes an alternative framework. I based my analysis on the presumption that you were defending an atheistic-materialist position that I perceived in your other posts in this thread. If I'm wrong and you actually subscribe to a different belief system feel free to correct me.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Aleister Crowley ? Really you should play more computer games :)

Beorn

Permabanned
No, that would make me depressive. But I do know it.

You know it, but you basically live in denial of it. Which makes sense given that even truth has no value within your framework.

Attacking Christians for believing in fairy tales seems to be rather hypocritical and pointless given that you think the alternative materialist framework should be ignored on a daily basis.

What a contrast to Christianity in which everyday we seek to understand the truth and apply truth to our lives.

From the outside you may criticize christianity for having little to do with the truth, but from the inside Christianity clearly places more value on the truth than does materialism which is incapable of doing so.

Nicodemus

Nicodemus, one thing that does perplex me is your choice of usernames. May I call you Nick?
I like its sound. You may call me whatever you like.

Attacking Christians for believing in fairy tales seems to be rather hypocritical and pointless
I am mocking the stupidity of the christian belief for my own entertainment. There is nothing hypocritical or pointless about that.

given that you think the alternative materialist framework should be ignored on a daily basis.
I do not think that.

What a contrast to Christianity in which everyday we seek to understand [a system of false claims] and apply [a system of false claims] to our lives.

From the outside you may criticize christianity for having little to do with the truth, but from the inside Christianity clearly places more value on [a system of false claims] than does materialism which is incapable of doing so.
Now it makes sense.

O

Oberon

Interesting...

image.php
170px-Aleister_Crowley_2.png

The one on the right is Crowley, photographed in 1908.