User Tag List

First 6789101858 Last

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Isn't it mind boggling?

A long time ago, some guy told people he was the son of God, they claimed he healed the sick, walked on water, turn water into wine...Blah...This man set up a fear factor that many follow, simply because they were/are naive enough to believe his story, which was never physically proven... I'm not condoning the disbelief of Jesus Christ. I think he did exist as a person, just not as lavish and extreme as many of you currently believe.

It's too God damn frustrating to watch people wilt away from holding onto the fear of Christs return. It's too fucking frustrating to watch people destroy their minds by diluting them with vile implications, and deliberately poisoning their living conscience.

What will it take to get people to understand?

I am the King of my own destiny and fate, not God.
    I am the King of my domain, not God.
    I am the one who deserves praise, not God.
    I am, what I am, Not God.

We wage wars based on rotting dead waste that the planet is trying to cast down below, because it's toxic to her. We kill others because we are either too stupid to understand the value, and the significants behind our existence, or too blind and brainwashed to step outside of the light, to look back and see what is really being shone upon. We make up shallow excuses for why we are here, and claim that some higher being started it all... I started it, you started it...I'm going to finish it, and so are you...

We will never know the answer because we are trying too hard to figure out the question. Is it really as complicated as we make it out to be?... I seriously doubt it.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Demigod View Post
    Isn't it mind boggling?
    What? That you're dissing Jesus instead of just the fake convenient religion that sprang up around him?

It's too God damn frustrating to watch people wilt away from holding onto the fear of Christs return. It's too fucking frustrating to watch people destroy their minds by diluting them with vile implications, and deliberately poisoning their living conscience.
    As the days and months go by, I slowly do find my acceptance of religion souring. Not because I don't see some value in it. But now I am getting to experience the full dregs of the negatives of it.

I didn't realize how fully people tend to abdicate their personal moral culpability by passing it off onto a set of doctrinal statements. ("I don't get a choice," for example, "You did something bad, so now I need to do this to YOU... cuz that's what my priest / holy book says.")

And how they would prefer, instead of engaging a situation personally and figuring out what the BEST solution to a situation is, to simply apply a list of standards that in some ways they don't really understand but want to believe are true. Always at the expense of the people they are judging.

Funny that I have been a proponent of religion all my life and would defend believers... and now having been on the 'chewing' end of things for some time, find myself being more of an advocate of free thought and personal responsibility and I see religion as more and more destructive to relationship.

The most spiritual people i know just take the concepts of their faith and take the personal responsibility to apply them to the situation, rather than cramming the situation into their belief structure. And where there is ambiguity, instead of dumping the heat on the other person, they choose to suffer themselves and take it on themselves to love and not force closure even if they want it.

That is the bummer about religion. Too often the distress of facing ambiguity in life is dumped on the shoulders of the other person rather than being born by the believer.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    What? That you're dissing Jesus instead of just the fake convenient religion that sprang up around him?
    I'm sure Jesus was a good man, and he was nothing more than a simple one, one who wasn't fit for that eras mentality, and their mis-understanding of life, and everything within it. Through out history many people were considered to be ahead of their time. According to the "book", what separates Jesus from those people is that he was ahead of OUR time.

Times have changed because peoples minds have changed, and they always will. But seriously, if someone from our modern time claimed to be the returning son of God, they would either be deemed as insane, or foolish. All the while, the non-believers(believers of Christ, Vatican...Etc)of this individual ignore the claimed promise Christ made in regards to his biblical return... People need to snap out of it.

IMO, he will never return, because he ceases to exist, just like how we won't when we are done. Religion creates the illusion, it imposes the ridiculous idea of immortality, and so on.... all for one simple reason... We are all afraid of the answer, which is only revealed in the ever lasting darkness that awaits us at the end!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm sure Jesus was a good man, and he was nothing more than a simple one, one who wasn't fit for that eras mentality, and their mis-understanding of life, and everything within it. Through out history many people were considered to be ahead of their time. According to the "book", what separates Jesus from those people is that he was ahead of OUR time.

Times have changed because peoples minds have changed, and they always will. But seriously, if someone from our modern time claimed to be the returning son of God, they would either be deemed as insane, or foolish. All the while, the non-believers(believers of Christ, Vatican...Etc)of this individual ignore the claimed promise Christ made in regards to his biblical return... People need to snap out of it.

IMO, he will never return, because he ceases to exist, just like how we won't when we are done. Religion creates the illusion, it imposes the ridiculous idea of immortality, and so on.... all for one simple reason... We are all afraid of the answer, which is only revealed in the ever lasting darkness that awaits us at the end!
    "I'm sure Jesus was a good man..." [and so on]

You are? How do you know this? Other than by assumption?

Honestly, you seem to operate on the same amount of supposition that the people you disagree with operate on; you just happen to be highly skeptical, they happen to be overly accepting.

I don't see any more "evidence" being offered here than for the other side. Which is why I'm mostly agnostic on this. Both sides seem to operate on conviction, not evidence. And frankly we won't get much evidence.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTP

That's why it still exists, people are willing to believe in it because they don't like the much more likely possibility that when we die, we just cease to exist, like everything else, instead of going to some magical place.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    "I'm sure Jesus was a good man..." [and so on]

You are? How do you know this? Other than by assumption?
    Would you consider anything else otherwise? Should he have not of been a good man?... What are you assuming?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Would you consider anything else otherwise? Should he have not of been a good man?... What are you assuming?
    My point is: You're criticizing people for assuming things you don't believe to be true... based on your own assumptions and not presenting any form of real evidence to support them.

So no, I try not to assume things -- OR, alternately, if I do assume something, I label it up front as an assumption (or provide some evidence) rather than treat it as more of a given than someone else's assumption.

Proper labeling of data. That's what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    That's why it still exists, people are willing to believe in it because they don't like the much more likely possibility that when we die, we just cease to exist, like everything else, instead of going to some magical place.
    The desire to create a meta-narrative is really strong in human beings. We want our lives to tell a story. And we don't want things to happen "without a purpose." Without the narrative, often people also have trouble hoping for anything good. So it seems pretty understandable. But it leads to some assumptions that could be very incorrect.

I'll contribute that when I was younger I thought existentialists were stupid: There was a basic assertion that life had no meaning, so therefore one could create meaning for oneself and live a noble life anyway. Still, who on earth could find hope and value in living a life that made no sense?

But at some point I turned the corner and realized it takes more inner character (I think) to live according to values you can't prove to someone else than to live a life that you can justify in some way to others. You do things because you believe in them and find them worth giving yourself for, not because you're forced into it by something external. The choice to live well under the unavoidable possibility that none of it might be real is actually a sign of character.

[I think it is easy for religious people, despite claiming "faith" as the core of their beliefs, to actually allow external forces to dictate their choices to them. It's not really character; it's an abdication of responsibility and morally lazy in some ways.]

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    How do you know we cease to exist? Who are you to say what happens to us when we die? Have you been dead? How do you know there isn't a heaven?
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    How do you know we cease to exist? Who are you to say what happens to us when we die? Have you been dead? How do you know there isn't a heaven?
    I got an e-mail from a dead guy yesterday.
    Heaven uses Comcast, hell uses Verizon DSL.

(Needless to say, all the turtles want to live in hell.)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

This post is largely incoherent.

I've highlighted the points that are the least decipherable. Can you offer clarification on (any of) them?

In your first paragraph, you mention "good" as an ideal and insinuate it against popular mentality. How did you come to this conclusion?

Your second paragraph states that, "people's minds change". What exactly does that mean? Are you referring to the transitional effects of non-literature to literate culture...?

Your last sentence is likely your strangest. How did you possibly develop such an absolute conclusion, being presently alive?