User Tag List

First 20606869707172 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5W4

Man created god in his own image. Sums up the ultimate flaw with religion.
    Knowledge is power. Sanity is for the weak.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Edward Schrodinger: Erwin's less accomplished, but cheekier brother.

Quote Originally Posted by ahriman View Post
    Merely illustrating how the unknown in science is no different to the unknown in religion and believing there is NO god is no more foolish to believing there IS a god.
    It is actually much less foolish to believe that there is no god.

There are points for and against God existing [...]
    Could you name a few points - evidences, I take it, because all you have are your five senses; everything else would be wild guessing - in favor of the claim that god exists?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5W4

[QUOTE=Nicodemus;1590527]It is actually much less foolish to believe that there is no god.

explain yourself.

explain yourself.
    Since there is no hint of him, I do not believe in him in the same way in which I do not believe that my fingers are moved by mysterious finger ghosts. In other words: I do not devise unnecessary explanations.

Now it is your turn to hand in the evidence to the contrary.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Since there is no hint of him, I do not believe in him in the same way in which I do not believe that my fingers are moved by mysterious finger ghosts. In other words: I do not devise unnecessary explanations.

You are standing on the assumption that if you were God, you would allude to your own existence in such a way to convince a person such as yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by jwn86 View Post
    You are standing on the assumption that if you were God, you would allude to your own existence in such a way to convince a person such as yourself.
    God already went to the trouble of instructing a few people to write down his word. Why not be a little more tangible and less open to misinterpretation if you already decided to allude to your own existence?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5W4

I agree with you on this point. But as I stated earlier I don't believe in a God/religion paradigm where the two are inseperable. I'm talking about a God detached from humanity and religion. I'm talking about a "primordial creator", a conscious "thing" of some type indifferent to religion. In other words it does not need to be worshipped, hated, loved or even noticed. A God completely separate from religion. Religion is just something humans created as a great form of control and social manipulation. This "thing" goes by it's own set of rules. (Think planck scale and quantum particles). I also have a theory which is purely speculative but I believe God's are theoretically possible, one way being through technology. Technology advanced enough that it produces omnipotence and immortality.

Then the question is: Why do you have that belief? What prompted you to form that theory?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5W4

Then the question is: Why do you have that belief? What prompted you to form that theory?
    Both science and religion still have trouble explaining our origins. The biggest problem for both is the "what came before" arguement. Religion states that God always "was". Science has a number of theories on the universe. First the big bang "open ended" universe theory. This universe would mean there is a definate beginning and end to the universe and that time and space were essentially created from "nothingness". I'm sorry but that is no more farfetched than having a man in the cloud judging my every thought. If anything the two are ridiculously similar. God creates something from nothing, the universe somehow creates itself from nothing (mathematically). Sounds very similar to christian/muslim ideology to me. The other theory is the "hourglass" universe. Where the universe is born and eventually closes in whats called a "big crunch" should this occur it is theorized the big crunch would give rise to another universe. A perpetually reborn universe with no beginning or end. Buddhism/hinduism anyone? My point is that I see patterns between religious and scientific creation theories the only difference with science being able to provide evidence based on what we percieve with our 5 senses. But neither have ultimately proven without doubt, anything. So because of this inability for either side to come up with a plausable theory of everything I combined both science and God into a new paradigm. I use the word "god" and not religion for the reasons I mentioned in the earlier posts.